[WarOf1812] Tent Pegs - Rounded or Squared?

  • Gordon Deans
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 25, 2006
      It seems that the concensus of the tent peg discussion was:
      - wooden tent pegs were the authentic, historic choice,
      - iron tent pegs were the practical, modern choice.

      Wooden tent pegs needed to be solidly made from hardwoods and hammered
      in with wooden mallets.

      Accepting all of the above, my question is; "Why did all of the tents
      that I helped set up this summer all have tiny tabs just large enough
      to accomodate square iron tent pegs?"

      They were all from a variety of manufacturers and they were all
      claimed to be authentic. Does anyone claim to produce an authentic
      tent for use with wooden tent pegs?

      Wooden tent pegs appear to range from 1" to 2" diameters. How can one
      retrofit their wedge tent peg loops to hold wooden tent pegs?

      Which style of wooden tent pegs is less likely to split: the naturally
      rounded type or the artificially squared type? Which style of wooden
      tent pegs is more historically accurate?

      Summarizing ALL of the tent discussions from this group, it seems that
      for me to be historically authentic I should use a 6' x 6' x 6' canvas
      wedge tent (of the appropriately coloured canvas) with the correctly
      shaped wooden tent pegs. Would this meet the concensus of the group?

      Gord Deans, RA [1812], RN [1812], RNR [1812].
    • James Krause
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 26, 2006
        Am I missing something here? How about going out and getting some good old firewood and splitting your own tent pegs? You can split them into any size you need. Oak, hickory, and Osage orange split along the grain. If you split the billets into pegs, hopefully they won't split further when pounded into the ground.

        Jim Krause

        Music Director, Fife Instructor
        The Kaw Valley Fife & Drum Corps
        Fife and drum music of early America

      • larrylozon
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 26, 2006
          "Gordon Deans" wrote:

          "Why did all of the tents that I helped set up this summer all have
          tiny tabs just large enough to accomodate square iron tent pegs?"

          Because they were made for re-enactors and not to 1812 specs

          If you want the correct pegs or tents contact

          Stephen Allie
          Stephen.Allie (at) leavenworth.army.mil
          He manufactures the correct tents and pins (pegs)

          Stephen
          and
          Dave Bennett
          ebclemson (at) aol.com

          had the correct tents and pins (pegs) at Mississinewa 1812 this year

          Yrs.,
          L2

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Deans" <gord.deans@...>

        • HQ93rd@aol.com