Re: Canvas painting

  • Robert Van Patten
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 1999
      DM: thanks for your input. The Tandy Leather Co. and Jo-Ann fabrics carry
      fabric paints so you might want to look at them for special needs.

      best regards...
      van

      ----------
      > From: DM Carpenter <viking04@...>
      > To: WarOf1812@onelist.com
      > Subject: Re: [WarOf1812] Canvas painting
      > Date: Sunday, October 31, 1999 6:37 PM
      >
      > From: DM Carpenter <viking04@...>
      >

      > Robert,
      >
      > I paint my Trotters with black latex paint. I get good results. I have
      > also tried wiping it lightly with linseed oil after the paint dries.
      >
      > Just my exp.
      >
      > Dave
      >
      > > The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over the fate of hundreds of
      square miles: in North America, hundreds determined the fate of THOUSANDS
      of square miles...
    • Scott Jeznach
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 1999
        I once was told that linseed oil was the base for most weather-durable paint
        in the 18th and early 19th Century. Tint and color was provided from
        abundant local sources. Hence, barnyard red was linseed oil pigmented with
        animal blood after slaughters on farms and black was linseed oil pigmented
        with soot, lamp-black, etc.

        Scott J.
        Royal Marines

      • NINETY3RD@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 1, 1999
          In a message dated 01/11/1999 12:34:28 PM, scottj@... writes:
          >I once was told that linseed oil was the base for most weather-durable
          >paint
          >in the 18th and early 19th Century. Tint and color was provided from
          >abundant local sources. Hence, barnyard red was linseed oil pigmented
          >with
          >animal blood after slaughters on farms and black was linseed oil pigmented
          >with soot, lamp-black, etc.
          >Scott J.

          Durn! You beat me to it Scott!
          :-)

          93rd SHRoFLHU
        • Gary Stephens
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 3, 1999
            Hello, all,

            Thanks, Larry, for the information regarding fish oil. I had no
            idea regarding that one. Learning curve takes an upward swing. :-) I
            wonder, however, about the blood bit, as blood, when dry, tends to be
            brownish, not scarlet. Perhaps the oil was mixed with true vermillion
            (can't remember for the life of me where that comes from - must go dig out
            my ancient notes)?

            Mighten milk paint serve well on canvas? When the milk paint dries
            it is one of the hardest known paints in existence, extremely durable. Easy
            to obtain and mix these days as Lee Valley carries all the period colours
            in powder form.

            Lorina

            Five Rivers Chapmanry ~ purveyors of quality hand-crafted cooperage & fine
            hand-sewn, embroidered garments http://www.5rivers.org e-mail:
            info@...