Re: Baltimore bus trip from hell...

  • Easeufe@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 29, 1999
      In a message dated 10/28/99 1:34:16 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      tlubka@... writes:

      > The Sunday would be a tourist day for us with a half day visit to the
      beautiful
      > Baltimore waterfront where the Frigate US Constellation is moored.
      > I miss those trips. They were a lot of fun. The trips stopped when the
      > organizers had a change of leadership and the funding was directed
      elsewhere.

      I think the first one was in 1986. I took my son down to Battle Acre (which
      is the little park dedicated to the battle of North Point) to see the 1812
      Brits from Canada.
      I got some good pictures that day.
      The organizers wanted to see how realistic they could make the event so they
      had you march from Fort Howard, up the North Point road to Battle Acre. The
      day was hot and muggy so you got to feel like Ross' army did. Typical
      summer day in Maryland.
      Several years later, in 1989, we celebrated the 175th Anniversary of North
      Point at Fort Howard. I say WE because 2-3 weeks before the event, I was
      pressed into service to be the American Commander. Never commanded Americans
      before, always Brits (for RevWar and F&I) and it was sure strange to look
      across a field and see redcoats.
      I know there was a change in the committee but I think funds started to dry
      up due to the repetitious nature of the event. The park/battlefield was
      always too small allowing only a 20-25 man front and there was only so much
      that could be done to make the battles more interesting. An attempt on a
      larger piece of ground, 3 years ago did not draw the anticipated crowds.
      But other parks in Maryland are now actively pursuing 1812 venues. Jefferson
      Patterson will be having a meeting in three weeks to discuss the event for
      next September. I will relate to them how Canadians enjoy trips to
      Baltimore/hell - what's the difference?

      BTW, the 1797 frigate Constellation is now the 1855 corvette Constellation.

      Ed Seufert
      Royal Marines