Field of Glory

  • tlubka@pathcom.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 29, 1999
      A few postings back I mentioned that I was reading Donald Grave's book "Field of
      Glory". Len suggested I review the book when I finished. Well guess what? I'm
      finished. I'm not very good writer but here go's nothing.

      Mr. Grave's book centers on the American campaign in the St. Lawrence river area
      during Oct. and Nov. 1813. He covers quite well I may add on the battles of
      Chateauguay and Chrysler's Farm plus all the numerous little skirmishes between
      and after these battles.
      I found his writing style very clear and acqurate. Grave does do extensive research
      on his topics but one aspect of his research I find very appealing is he gets information
      from diaries or letters written by the enlisted man. Buy doing this he comes across
      numerous little details that would normally not be found in a commissioned officer's
      papers. An example of such details would be about US Drummer Boy Hanks who mentions that his leather
      shako fell apart during this campaign do to the rainy weather.
      Another positive aspect in his writing is that Graves tries to be as neutral as
      possible in his writing. This was evident in his Lundy's Lane book. He tried
      to maintain that level of objectivity here and was more or less successful.
      Finally, I recommend Grave's book to all the wargamers out there. He includes
      a few maps of the two armies dispostions on Nov. 11th as well as a detailed appendix
      containing the order of battle for both Chateauguay and Chrysler's Farm.

      Conclusion, It's a good read, go read it if you haven't already. You won't
      find it a waste of time.

      Terry Lubka
      25th US, GLI