Remembering the River Raisin

  • James Yaworsky
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 4, 2006
      List:
      Reproduced is an item of interest from the latest edition of the
      "River Raisin News & Dispatch", the newsletter of the Monroe County
      Historical Museum & the Monroe County Historical Society:

      Text of Letter from William Braunlich written
      in support of Congressman Dingell's effort to interest the National
      Park Service in preserving the River Raisin Battlefield

      July 10, 2006

      The Honorable Richard Pombo, Chairman
      Committee on Resources
      United States House of Representatives
      Chairman:

      The Monroe County Historical society (MCHS), which consists of over
      300 members and a Board of Directors of 15 community leaders, has been
      publicly committed, both philosophically and financially, to the
      successful acquisition and proper development of the River Raisin
      Battlefield site. Thus MCHS proudly endorses H.R. 5132, which directs
      the Secretary of the Interior to conduct a special resource study to
      determine the suitability and feasibility of including the River
      Raisin Battlefield into the National Park System.

      By way of additional background, MCHS has acquired an additional
      valuable riverfront parcel to expand the various options for optimal
      development of the River Raisin Battlefield. This parcel – called the
      Riverfront Pump House Parcel – includes a one-story brick, reinforced
      concrete and wood frame structure, with a basement, commonly referred
      to as the "Pump House" and built in 1918 by the River Raisin Paper
      Company. At the Society's requests, the Port of Monroe has accepted
      title to the Pump House Parcel and has entered into a development
      agreement with the Society.

      The Monroe County Historical society believes that the completed
      acquisition of the 34 acre Battlefield parcel and acquisition of the
      Riverfront Mill Pump House Parcel sets the stage for the optimal
      preservation, interpretation and development, in perpetuity, of the
      River Raisin Battlefield for future generations of American citizenry.

      The Monroe County Historical Society has recently incorporated a
      separate Michigan non-profit corporation named – River Raisin National
      Battlefield Foundation – for the primary purpose of receiving and
      administering funds for the acquisition, archeological investigation,
      historical preservation, public education, and comprehensive
      development of the River Raisin Battlefield site located in present
      day Monroe, Michigan.

      The Articles of Incorporation provide that:
      "The River Raisin National Battlefield Foundation (RRNBF) will seek
      to educate people about the War of 1812 and the Battle of the River
      Raisin – the largest battle ever fought on Michigan soil, as well as
      the subsequent River Raisin Massacre, in which over 60 unarmed
      Americans were murdered by British and hostile Indians. The RRNBF
      will seek, explore, and engage in both public and private partnerships
      to obtain the appropriate financial resources to develop, operate, and
      maintain a world-class visitor center and museum at or near the
      battlefield site. The RRNBF will seek and develop exhibits, programs,
      and services to visitors that will enhance their understanding of the
      causes of the War of 1812, the significance of the Battle of the River
      Raisin, and the consequences of the war for America. The RRNBF will
      seek both public funding (city, county, regional, state and federal
      dollars) and private philanthropic dollars to achieve its objectives."

      The first meeting of the RRNBF Board of Directors, which consists of
      representatives from the County of Monroe, City of Monroe, Monroe
      County Community College, and Monroe County Historical Society, as
      well as directors at large, will occur later this summer.

      For over the past eight years the Monroe County Historical Society
      has pursued the Battlefield Project with passion and dedication. In
      fact, MCHS has provided significant financial leadership and has spent
      over $500,000 during the past eight years to fund proper archeological
      investigation and survey, environmental assessment, environmental
      liability insurance and acquisition of the Riverfront Pump House
      Parcel. MCHS has been saluted by numerous community leaders for
      providing the persistence, the continuity, the commitment and the
      financial resources necessary to ultimately succeed in acquisition of
      the River Raisin Battlefield and the Riverfront Pump House Parcel….

      The inclusion of the River Raisin Battlefield in the National Park
      System is consistent with the battlefield's historic significance and
      will provide immediate credibility, visibility and fund raising
      momentum to the River Raisin National Battlefield Foundation. The
      River Raisin Battlefield, as a unit of the National Park System, will
      promote citizen involvement and productive partnerships with federal,
      state, tribal and local governments, as well as productive
      partnerships with Canada, Great Britain, private organizations and
      businesses. MCHS also submits that the interpretive and educational
      potential of the River Raisin Battlefield is outstanding. In
      addition, the socioeconomic impact that the National Park Service
      designation will promote are equally impressive. Fortunately, the
      River Raisin Battlefield is ideally located for inclusion into an
      historic and natural resource gateway into the State of Michigan on
      Interstate 75.

      The Monroe County Historical Society stands ready to assist the
      Secretary of the Interior in conducting a special resource study of
      the sites in Monroe County, Michigan, relating to the Battles of the
      River Raisin. We believe that "Remembering the Raisin is an important
      and essential dimension of understanding the War of 1812 and our
      national identity.

      Respectfully submitted,

      William H. Baunlich, President
      Monroe County Historical Society
    • Mike Anderson
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 4, 2006
        This is good news for the battle site and museum, but not necessarily
        good news for possible future reenactments on the site. The NPS has a
        history of not allowing opposing line firing as what normally occurs
        in other 1812 reenactments. Hopefully they will follow the example of
        Parks Canada and the Niagara Parks Commission when making the rules
        for the future use of the grounds.

        Mike Anderson – GLI

        Near Fort York, Upper Canada

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "James Yaworsky" <yawors1@...>