The Rifles return

  • Ray Hobbs
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 4, 2006
      List:
      Extensive amalgamation of regiments in the British Army has caused
      considerable anger in some quarters.
      The amalgamations have not yet ceased: On 7th February 2007 The Light
      Infantry will amalgamate with The Devonshire and Dorset Light Infantry,
      The Royal Gloucestershire, Berkshire and Wiltshire Light Infantry and
      The Royal Green Jackets to form a wholly new regiment called The
      Rifles. The Army is appealing to the Sharpe series as some
      justification (!) and even has the original title graphic from the
      series on the website
      Ray H
      41st

      - see http://www.army.mod.uk/infantry/regts/the_rifles/
    • Todd Post
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 4, 2006
        Wow. I hope this doesn't affect the regimental museums as the Royal Green Jackets (43rd/52nd/60th/95th) is one of the better ones I've been to in that they actually cover their earliest history, not just the 19th and 20th centuries.

        Cheers,
        Todd Post

        >List:
        >Extensive amalgamation of regiments in the British Army has caused
        >considerable anger in some quarters.
        >The amalgamations have not yet ceased: On 7th February 2007 The Light
        >Infantry will amalgamate with The Devonshire and Dorset Light Infantry,
        >The Royal Gloucestershire, Berkshire and Wiltshire Light Infantry and
        >The Royal Green Jackets to form a wholly new regiment called The
        >Rifles. The Army is appealing to the Sharpe series as some
        >justification (!) and even has the original title graphic from the
        >series on the website
        >Ray H
        >41st
        >
        > - see http://www.army.mod.uk/infantry/regts/the_rifles/
        >

        >The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over the fate of hundreds of square miles: in North America, hundreds determined the fate of THOUSANDS of square miles...

        > Crown Forces Unit Listing:
        > http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
        > American Forces Unit Listing
        > http://usforces1812.tripod.com
        >
        >WAR OF 1812 EVENTS LIST:
        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • larrylozon
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 4, 2006
          Todd Post wrote:

          " - - I hope this doesn't affect the regimental museums - - "

          Since the UK Army started to amalgamate regiments and form their New
          and Improved Army --- I have been assured by a UK Army Staff Officer
          that the museums will stay the same and will not be touched.

          For example ---

          The KING'S REGIMENT has two fine museums, one in Liverpool for the
          Regimental collection and one in Tameside, Greater Manchester for
          the Manchester Regiment Collection.

          The NEW Regiment

          The Duke of Lancaster's Regiment formed from the King's Own Royal
          Border Regiment, the King's Regiment, and the Queen's Lancashire
          Regiment on 1st July 2006. For more details --- visit
          www.army.mod.uk/lancs

          The 8th (KINGS) Regiment [1812] is alive at the Liverpool Museum ---
          but as Commander Hobbs has pointed out they are not that interested
          or educated in the North American War known to us as the War of
          1812 --- the King's Regiment flaunt their involvement in the Zulu War

          Yrs.,
          L2