Re: Digest Number 4

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 1998
      Ladies and Gentlemen:

      I'm sitting hear watching this War of 1812 list grow
      by leaps and bounds, and damn this is great.

      In the article about the 95th. I would like to say
      only that Mr. Moore of the Sharpe's Series may be good
      or maybe bad for re-enacting, but if it was his idea
      during the shooting of the series to have the Musketmen
      spit the balls down the barrel count me out. I have never
      read anything that says "put your mouth over a loaded musket" !

      As for patterns re: Haver and Knap Sacks, Peter Twist of
      the 8th (King's) Regt and supplier of buttons and badges
      in Orangeville Ontario Canada has
      some documentation that is reliable. He can be reached at
      PTWIST@....

      Now, just a word on the command structure and umbrella
      organizations in the realm of 1812. As a member of the BAR and
      a friend of the British Brigade and NWTA I find that this type of
      structure will not happen until everyone swallows their pride and
      realize that if we all work together we win.
      Maj. Benton Jennings of the 93rd Regt
      has been working with "The Women From Hell" and has members
      of The Highland Brigade all over the world, so it proves that some
      1812'ers have their heads screwed on correctly. Just too bad
      they are of the Scottish persuasion. We tried to
      get the Army of the Old Northwest going for the US re-enactors
      and it fizzed, the Brits are now starting to work on the North
      American Napolionic Association which 1st Battalion North American
      Regiment is a part of, but if we don't work together we will
      be a bunch of buckskinners in army uniforms. I apologize
      the Buckskinners are organized, sorry guys.
      OK I'm stepping off the soap box for now..........

      Respectfully submitted by,

      Larry A. Lozon lalozon@...

      ----------
      > From: WarOf1812@onelist.com
      > To: WarOf1812@onelist.com
      > Subject: [WarOf1812] Digest Number 4
      > Date: Monday, November 02, 1998 5:57 AM
      >

      > Did you ever want to participate in video chats, send real-time video
      > and video mail? Now you can, AND at a super low price--ONLY $89.95!
      > http://orders.xoom.com/zvc/emzvc921
      square miles: in North America, hundreds determined the fate of THOUSANDS
      of square miles...

      > There are 14 messages in this issue.
      >
      > Topics in today's digest:
      >
      > 1. Re: Strange Invaders
      > From: NINETY3RD@...
      > 2. Re: Strange Invaders
      > From: NINETY3RD@...
      > 3. uniform and equipment patterns
      > From: "Roger Fuller" <fullerfamily@...>
      > 4. Re: uniform and equipment patterns
      > From: stein@... (Stein)
      > 5. Re: uniform and equipment patterns
      > From: John Sek <jsek@...>
      > 6. Re: uniform and equipment patterns
      > From: "Anne Woodley" <awoodley@...>
      > 7. Re: uniform and equipment patterns
      > From: "Roger Fuller" <fullerfamily@...>
      > 8. Re: uniform and equipment patterns
      > From: "Roger Fuller" <fullerfamily@...>
      > 9. Re: uniform and equipment patterns
      > From: "Paul W. Schulz" <pwschulz@...>
      > 10. Re: uniform and equipment patterns
      > From: "Roger Fuller" <fullerfamily@...>
      > 11. autobiography of Harry Smith
      > From: "Anne Woodley" <awoodley@...>
      > 12. Re: autobiography of Harry Smith
      > From: "Roger Fuller" <fullerfamily@...>
      > 13. Free Spirits...
      > From: yawors1@...
      > 14. members of this list
      > From: yawors1@...

      ___

      ___

      > Message: 1
      > Date: Sun, 1 Nov 1998 15:39:00 EST
      > From: NINETY3RD@...
      > Subject: Re: Strange Invaders
      >

      > In a message dated 31/10/1998 6:13:31 PM, you wrote:
      >
      > >From: yawors1@...
      > >
      > >This is a plea for help from the detachment of the 41st Regiment
      stationed
      > in
      > >Sandwich, Upper Canada.
      > >Strange invaders are overrunning our positions. The assault started at
      > sunset.
      > >Our troops are running in terror from what appears to be a legion of the
      > damned.
      > > Are the rascally Americans now indulging in black magic to aid their
      > cause???
      >
      > Egad! These men are Sandwiched in between their foe! Somene call in
      Bruce
      > Campbell - he knows how to deal with an Army of Darkness! Send me the
      > Argylls! Tell the General. Tell anyone. But send me the Argylls!
      >
      > Major Catastrophe Benton Jennings
      > 93rd

      ___

      ___

      > Message: 2
      > Date: Sun, 1 Nov 1998 15:41:34 EST
      > From: NINETY3RD@...
      > Subject: Re: Strange Invaders
      >

      > In a message dated 01/11/1998 2:30:34 AM, you wrote:
      >
      > >From: "Paul W. Schulz" <pwschulz@...>
      > >

      > >No Jim, its the 4th US at Manguagon. Paul
      >

      > Like he said - a "legion of the damned!"
      > ;-)
      > ;-)
      >
      > Woohoo!
      > BJ

      ___

      ___

      > Message: 3
      > Date: Sun, 1 Nov 1998 16:11:46 -0500
      > From: "Roger Fuller" <fullerfamily@...>
      > Subject: uniform and equipment patterns
      >

      > OK, everybody,
      >
      > I'm curious. In RevWar, which is my main reenacting experience up till
      now,
      > if one wants to find a (usually)correctly-researched pattern for uniforms
      or
      > equipment such as haversacks or knapsacks one would turn to the BAR
      patterns
      > for help. So, what do 1812 reenactors use? I'm looking for correct info
      and
      > patterns (or at least corroborating evidence, esp. primary sources) on
      > infantry knapsacks, haversacks, gaiters, coatees for the Brit. Army of
      the
      > period. Any ideas? In my immediate area of research (the 95th), except
      for
      > some improbably tiny officers' uniforms, there's virtually no piece of
      > uniforming extant for the Rifle Corps from 1815 that can be
      authenticated.

      > Roger Fuller
      > 3/95th Foot

      ___

      ___

      > Message: 4
      > Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 07:11:07 +0800
      > From: stein@... (Stein)
      > Subject: Re: uniform and equipment patterns
      >
      > Dear Roger,
      >
      > When the mad deluded fools here in Australia who wanted to
      become
      > riflemen wrote off to Les Handscombe in the UK he sent out a sheaf of
      notes
      > and sketches detailing the uniforms and acoutrements. The local makers
      > leapt on these like a seagull on a chip and are now manufacturing a
      pretty
      > good representation of the uniforms. I recently took portraits and group
      > photos for the 95th at Taminick and could send you some if you wish.
      Please
      > give me a postal address for this.
      >
      > If you wish to contact an Australian manufacturer who follows
      > Handscombe's patterns, try:
      >
      > Peter Carnegie
      > Bullcreek Commisariat
      > 14 Steedman Loop,
      > Mirrabooka 6061
      > Western Australia
      >
      > On the subject of autherticity - the 95th in Victoria got to
      > talking with a chap in Queensland who is an expert. No specific subject,
      > just a general expert. You know the type.
      >
      > He managed to convince them that the pattern of cartridge box
      that
      > Les has in the sketchbook is wrong. The expert supposedly had an original
      > and supplied drawings. The original turned out to be an 1853 Enfield
      > cartridge box but the CO at the time of the 95th insisted that they would
      > all have to discard their boxes and get new ones.
      >
      > The new CO of the unit is now running for cover as I pursue him
      > with laughter and overripe fruit - he knows an Enfield box when he sees
      it
      > and is now faced with finding or commissioning a dozen of the old correct
      > pattern. I shall not stop laughing until the fruit runs out...
      >

      > Cheers,
      >
      > Dick Stein
      >

      > ***********************************
      > PLEASE NOTE!!!!!!
      >
      > WE HAVE CHANGED OUR EMAIL ADDRESS!!!
      > Please send all correspondence to:
      >
      > stein@...
      >
      > Thankyou.
      > ***********************************

      ___

      ___

      > Message: 5
      > Date: Sun, 01 Nov 1998 18:12:02 -0500
      > From: John Sek <jsek@...>
      > Subject: Re: uniform and equipment patterns
      >

      > Roger Fuller wrote:
      >
      > > some improbably tiny officers' uniforms, there's virtually no piece of
      > > uniforming extant for the Rifle Corps from 1815 that can be
      authenticated.

      > That is one of the strange but true facts of this time. Many
      discusssions over what is and what isn' was will continue to be made on the
      subject. Even the so-called
      > experts will disagree between them on this as well. In the end, for
      jacket authenticity, period portraits will be your best guide. Also, watch
      out for tailoring
      > techniques. Today's methods are unacceptable. Other items such as
      haversacks I have not heard much disagreement on and British regulations
      (which are available) seem
      > to help out quite well here. Some units did deviated from these
      regulations, so individual unit research will be necessary to uncover these
      deviations.

      > Good Luck
      >
      > John Sek
      >
      > --
      >
      > The Siege of Fort Erie - War of 1812 http://www.iaw.com/~jsek

      ___

      ___

      > Message: 6
      > Date: Mon, 02 Nov 1998 12:24:35 +1300
      > From: "Anne Woodley" <awoodley@...>
      > Subject: Re: uniform and equipment patterns
      >

      > ----------
      > >From: stein@... (Stein)
      >
      > >good representation of the uniforms. I recently took portraits and group
      > >photos for the 95th at Taminick and could send you some if you wish.
      Please
      > >give me a postal address for this.
      >
      > I am interested in photos of those uniforms if you can scan them or send
      > them or something - the 95th was the regiment of Harry Smith of whom I am
      > researching.
      >
      > Anne Woodley
      > awoodley@...

      ___

      ___

      > Message: 7
      > Date: Sun, 1 Nov 1998 20:04:18 -0500
      > From: "Roger Fuller" <fullerfamily@...>
      > Subject: Re: uniform and equipment patterns
      >
      > Dear Dr. Stein-
      >
      > thanks for the advice, but we already beat you to it. We are using not
      only
      > Les' patterns, but also his tailors and sutlers for virtually every bit
      of
      > equipment we carry. I'm however making the haversacks, gaiters, and
      forage
      > caps- and maybe eventually the shakoes, our "D"messtins for an 1814-1815
      > impression are coming in from a tinsmith in Canada, Bakers from, among
      > others, the Rifle Shoppe (I just got mine- guaranteed 4 month wait- came
      on
      > the last day of 4 months- BEEE-YOO-TEE-FULL.....whew......(bank account?
      > Whaddya mean I HAD a bank account? Get the cheaper Indian version, if you
      > want to save some $$)
      >
      > BUT! I always want MORE info, esp. from primary sources, to corroborate
      and
      > to confirm or change what we have and do if needs be. The only real
      change
      > we will have at this point from Les' group are slightly different
      shoulder
      > seams on the coatees, messtins instead of pans, and darker linen
      haversacks,
      > instead of the white ones they carry. (We are after all, the grotty 3rd
      > Batt. and they are the 1st!)
      >
      > Nonetheless, I wish to go on record that Mr Handscombe has been a GREAT
      help
      > to us- he has saved me about a year's worth of research, (I still do a
      lot
      > of reading and research, esp. at the Anne S.K. Brown Collection in
      > Providence, Rhode Island, and mostly what I find confirms his research of
      > over twenty years) and is always ready and patient like Job with my
      > Transatlantic telephony and my nitpicking questions about things such as
      > sword drill and haversack buckles.....
      >
      > As for the "mad deluded fools" Down Under of the 2/95th, dammie sirrah! I
      > will not have that!! *grin*
      > Gad, Sir! Harrumph!
      > Messrs Scheuch-Evans, Roads, Kemel et al of the 2/95th of Oz are doing
      their
      > best and are re-equipping themselves at breakneck speed and expense. I
      feel
      > ,from their posts to me, they are, like us, trying to "get it right" and
      > are willing to admit mistakes and change any equipment they find
      > inauthentic- unlike many of my fellow AWI reenactors here in the
      > States.....I wish the 2/95th Godspeed and fair winds to Waterloo in 2000!

      Bilko
      > to get info on the US Army.....<GG>
      > >
      > > He managed to convince them that the pattern of cartridge box
      that
      > >Les has in the sketchbook is wrong. The expert supposedly had an
      original
      > >and supplied drawings. The original turned out to be an 1853 Enfield
      > >cartridge box but the CO at the time of the 95th insisted that they
      would
      > >all have to discard their boxes and get new ones.
      >
      > Ah yes- I am familiar with the situation. I wish all sides well.
      Historical
      > research is often a tenuous perch, and the fall can be painful -and
      worse,
      > expensive, esp. when one must re-equip ( cartridge boxes are NO fun to
      > make....)
      > >
      > > The new CO of the unit is now running for cover as I pursue him
      > >with laughter and overripe fruit - he knows an Enfield box when he sees
      it
      > >and is now faced with finding or commissioning a dozen of the old
      correct
      > >pattern. I shall not stop laughing until the fruit runs out...
      >
      > And I shall put up Britannia's shield to fend off the slings and arrows
      (and
      > rotten fruit) of outrageous fortune hurled at them and us, Sir! We
      riflemen
      > must stick together! Death to the French and damnation for the
      Jonathans!

      > > Cheers,
      > >
      > > Dick Stein
      >
      > YNSH&NSOS,
      > Roger Fuller,
      > 3/95th Foot
      > >

      > >***********************************
      > >PLEASE NOTE!!!!!!
      > >
      > >WE HAVE CHANGED OUR EMAIL ADDRESS!!!
      > >Please send all correspondence to:
      > >
      > >stein@...
      > >
      > >Thankyou.
      > >***********************************

      > >Did you ever want to participate in video chats, send real-time video
      > >and video mail? Now you can, AND at a super low price--ONLY $89.95!
      > >http://orders.xoom.com/zvc/emzvc921
      > >The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over the fate of hundreds
      of
      > square miles: in North America, hundreds determined the fate of THOUSANDS
      of
      > square miles...

      ___

      ___

      > Message: 8
      > Date: Sun, 1 Nov 1998 20:26:37 -0500
      > From: "Roger Fuller" <fullerfamily@...>
      > Subject: Re: uniform and equipment patterns
      >
      > Thanks for the comments, John, I agree.

      Najecki.

      > >Good Luck
      > >
      > >John Sek
      >
      > And time, and patience....
      >
      > Roger Fuller,
      > 3/95th Foot
      > >
      > >--
      > >select the User Center link from the menu bar on the left.
      > >The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over the fate of hundreds
      of
      > square miles: in North America, hundreds determined the fate of THOUSANDS
      of
      > square miles...

      ___

      ___

      > Message: 9
      > Date: Sun, 1 Nov 1998 20:47:19 -0500
      > From: "Paul W. Schulz" <pwschulz@...>
      > Subject: Re: uniform and equipment patterns
      >
      > Roger,
      > I have a couple of unique suggestions for 95th Rifles research. The
      BBC

      http://chide.museum.org.uk/royal.green.jackets/royal.green.jackets.index.htm

      > Hope some of this helps. Craig is a member of the 15th, if you have a way
      of
      > contacting him then you have contact with the 15th. I will get the phone
      > number and forward it any way just in case.
      > Paul

      ___

      ___

      > Message: 10
      > Date: Sun, 1 Nov 1998 20:54:09 -0500
      > From: "Roger Fuller" <fullerfamily@...>
      > Subject: Re: uniform and equipment patterns

      Peninsula
      > Barracks, in which it is based. (it may have to move soon, as the real
      > estate values of Yuppified Winchester are going through the roof, acc. to
      > her!)

      > >Hope some of this helps. Craig is a member of the 15th, if you have a
      way
      > of
      > >contacting him then you have contact with the 15th. I will get the phone
      > >number and forward it any way just in case.
      >
      > Yes, please do, off-list, if you'd like. We need some targets to shoot at
      > (just kidding!!)
      >
      > Thanks again,
      > Roger
      >
      > >Paul

      ___

      ___

      > Message: 11
      > Date: Mon, 02 Nov 1998 15:58:22 +1300
      > From: "Anne Woodley" <awoodley@...>
      > Subject: autobiography of Harry Smith
      >
      > I'm not sure if anyone is interested in this, but I have put the start of
      > Harry Smith's autobiography up on a web site. He was a brigade major in
      the
      > 95th at Waterloo and in the 1812-14 campaign. I have only got up to 1810
      so
      > far, the introduction and first 4 chapters but intend to continue until
      the
      > end of waterloo - time and space allowing
      >
      > http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~awoodley/Harrysmithintro.html
      >
      > The autobiography was first published in 1901.
      >
      > regards
      >
      > Anne Woodley

      ___

      ___

      > Message: 12
      > Date: Sun, 1 Nov 1998 21:59:53 -0500
      > From: "Roger Fuller" <fullerfamily@...>
      > Subject: Re: autobiography of Harry Smith
      >

      > Anne,
      >
      > thank you very much for your posting of Harry Smith's autobiography. I
      for
      > one, am QUITE interested in seeing it....
      >
      > Your Servant, Ma'am,
      > Roger Fuller,
      > 3/95th Foot

      ___

      ___

      > Message: 13
      > Date: 2 Nov 1998 03:16:25 -0000
      > From: yawors1@...
      > Subject: Free Spirits...
      >
      > Since it's that time of year, and in view of all the jokes about spirits
      of one sort or another in the last day,
      > I'd like to comment on one aspect of Roger Fuller's question that hasn't
      been replied to. He's had plenty of suggestions re: 95th uniform making,
      and I'm happy to see our New Zealander is finding something on the list
      that interests her in her quest to find out about Sir Harry & the 95th...
      > The point Roger made that I find of "universal" interest to all persons
      reenacting in the 1812 time frame is the lack of a resource such as the BAR
      etc. provides for Rev War, and I believe most other time periods do have
      umbrella organizations of some sort or another. Some individuals in Brit
      units in Upper Canada tried to organize a beastie called "BNALHA" (british
      North America Living history Association, if my memory serves me correct) a
      few years back, but the main impetus of it was to fight some pretty
      draconian proposed Canadian gun control legislation ( a victory,
      incidently, which we flintlock-types actually won) and it never really went
      anywhere else. Now, Waterloo 2000 is forming the impetus for the 1BNA
      effort... but what happens after Waterloo 2000?
      > I'm kind of wondering why 1812 can't get its act together?
      > The only observations I can suggest are:
      > 1) 1812 reenactors have for the most part never experienced directly the
      benefits of umbrella organisations;
      > 2) 1812 reenactors are suspicious of umbrella organisations that might
      try & tell them what they can do or can't do
      > 3) in particular, 1812 reenactors seem really paranoid about other
      people/groups trying to "take them over" - whatever that means.

      > I've also noticed that everyone in 1812 seems to want to be an officer.
      Or at least a sergeant. I've seen numerous groups split up over command
      issues - including the 41st, which has had major crises along these lines
      with one major split. I can't really think of a single Brit 1812 "Upper
      Canada" unit that's been in existence for more than a few years that hasn't
      had a problem - some more severe than others, but life's too short to spend
      it fighting with fellow reenactors!
      > If units can't get their own command structure settled, I guess it's not
      too likely that they'll voluntarily surrender some of their "autonomy"
      (freedom to do a crap job if they feel like it?) to any larger
      organisation.

      > There. Now I've opened Pandora's box, I expect... Seig Heil! I'm a
      closet Nazi!

      ___

      ___

      > Message: 14
      > Date: 2 Nov 1998 03:18:59 -0000
      > From: yawors1@...
      > Subject: members of this list
      >
      > Just a friendly reminder that there are currently 20 subscribers to our
      list, & it can only get better with more persons sharing their innermost
      thoughts, secrets, and tailoring tips... so invite your friends and
      acquaintances to sign up!

      ___

      ___