Re: [WarOf1812] Taunton Castle Military Museum.

  • Ray Hobbs
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 4, 2006
      Vic et al.
      That battle took place almost a year before the 13th arrived in the
      country. Difficult to imagine how they obtained the colours from that
      encounter.
      Ray

    • suthren@magma.ca
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 4, 2006
        Ray

        No other circumstance of a major US naval loss took place on Lake Champlain,
        with the possible exception of some schooners taken during a major British
        foray in 1813 that got as far south as the mouth of Otter Creek, where they
        bombarded a battery guarding the creek mouth (McDonough's fleet was up that
        creek). Possibly the Colour was retained at Ile-aux-Noix and came into the
        possession of the Regiment by indirect means. Otherwise I'm stumped.

        Vic
        > That battle took place almost a year before the 13th arrived in the
        > country. Difficult to imagine how they obtained the colours from that
        > encounter.
        > Ray
        >
        > On 3-Oct-06, at 4:29 PM, <suthren@...> wrote:
        >
        > > I suspect one of the Colours is from the two American schooners taken
        > > at
        > > Ile-aux-Noix on the Richelieu River.
        > >
        > > Vic

        square miles...

      • BritcomHMP@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 4, 2006
          In a message dated 04/10/2006 06:30:33 Central Standard Time,
          ray.hobbs@... writes:

          That battle took place almost a year before the 13th arrived in the
          country. Difficult to imagine how they obtained the colours from that

          But is there a possibility that the colours were presented to the 13th at
          some later date? I know of at least one instance where an army officer (George
          DeLacy Evans ) was presented with one of the 'Tripoli' swords captured by the
          RN in Washington for later service with RN forces (the battle of Lake
          Bourne).

          Just a thought,

        • Ray Hobbs
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 4, 2006
            Of course, it is possible Tim. But with the regimental historian so
            ignorant of the War of 1812, it is unlikely that we shall find the
            proof.
            I have written to the Regimental Museum to see if they can unravel the
            mystery.
            Ray

          • Armchairadm@cs.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 4, 2006
              Vic Suthern wrote...

              I suspect one of the Colours is from the two American schooners taken
              at
              Ile-aux-Noix on the Richelieu River.

              That would be my guess as well. I know of no other US Naval vessels taken
              on Lake Champlaine during the course of the war.

              Ed B.

            • LCpl_rm
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 4, 2006
                Vic,

                The foray into Lake Champlain by Pring and the bombardment of the Ft Cassin at the mouth of Otter Creek took place in May 1814, two months after LaColle. Pring does mention the capture of a small vessel and talking to two prisoners about the American ship building efforts up Otter Creek at Vergennes. He also mentions sailing to Plattsburgh and Burlington to check on any building efforts going on in those ports. He then sails back to Ile-aux-Noix with the knowledge that the Americans are building a large vessel and the need for the British to follow suit. His letter is addressed to a Colonel William Williams, British Army, and in it, he suggests that any artificers from the regiments be assembled to work on the new vessel. Without any other letters from Pring, its hard to know what else he may have captured while on Lake Champlain in May 1814.

                The raids that resulted in the destruction/capture of some American vessels on Lake Champlain took place in August 1813.

                Cheers,

                Ed Seufert, Cpl
                1812 Royal Marines

                > That battle took place almost a year before the 13th arrived in the
                > country. Difficult to imagine how they obtained the colours from that
                > encounter.
                > Ray
                >
                > On 3-Oct-06, at 4:29 PM, <suthren@...> wrote:
                >
                > > I suspect one of the Colours is from the two American schooners taken
                > > at
                > > Ile-aux-Noix on the Richelieu River.
                > >
                > > Vic

                square miles...

              • suthren@magma.ca
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 5, 2006
                  Thanks, Ed. As usual, your detailed knowledge is admirable. Glad for the
                  correct story.

                  Vic
                  > The foray into Lake Champlain by Pring and the bombardment of the Ft
                  Cassin at the mouth of Otter Creek took place in May 1814, two months after
                  LaColle. Pring does mention the capture of a small vessel and talking to
                  two prisoners about the American ship building efforts up Otter Creek at
                  Vergennes. He also mentions sailing to Plattsburgh and Burlington to check
                  on any building efforts going on in those ports. He then sails back to
                  Ile-aux-Noix with the knowledge that the Americans are building a large
                  vessel and the need for the British to follow suit. His letter is addressed
                  to a Colonel William Williams, British Army, and in it, he suggests that any
                  artificers from the regiments be assembled to work on the new vessel.
                  Without any other letters from Pring, its hard to know what else he may have
                  captured while on Lake Champlain in May 1814.

                  > The raids that resulted in the destruction/capture of some American
                  vessels on Lake Champlain took place in August 1813.

                  > Cheers,
                  >
                  > Ed Seufert, Cpl
                  > 1812 Royal Marines

                  02/10/06

                  square miles...

                  > Crown Forces Unit Listing:
                  > http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
                  > American Forces Unit Listing
                  > http://usforces1812.tripod.com
                  >
                  > WAR OF 1812 EVENTS LIST:
                  > Yahoo! Groups Links
                  >

                  > --

                • Ed Seufert
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 6, 2006
                    Further research shows that Lt. Col. William Williams is the
                    commander of the 13th Foot. The article on the Battle of Lacolle
                    Mills by Robert Henderson on Discriminating General (go to
                    http://www.warof1812.ca/lacolle.htm ) has the after action report by
                    LTC Williams noting that he's "Comg. At St Johns" which is probably
                    St-Jean-sur-Richelieu. Ltc Williams notes that Maj Handcock
                    was "exceedingly indebted to Capt Pring" for aiding in the defense
                    of the Mill.

                    Noting the friendship in the letter from Pring to Williams in May
                    1814, there must have been a good working relationship between the
                    two. The US Naval colour in the possession of the Somerset LI
                    Museum may be nothing more than a memento from one officer to
                    another in thanks for their working together.

                    On the other hand, the following is listed on the Somerset LI Museum
                    Website.

                    "Many uniforms from the 18th century to modern times.
                    There are several prized items of Regimental interest including the
                    last Colours carried by the Somerset Light Infantry and a United
                    States naval flag which was captured by the 13th of Foot in Canada
                    in 1813."

                    If the 13th was posted to Canada in 1813, they may have had a hand
                    in the capture of the two US vessels in the Richelieu. Does anyone
                    know the date that the 13th arrived in Canada?

                    Cheers,

                    Ed Seufert, Cpl
                    1812 Royal Marines

                    Date:

                    Date: 02/10/06

                  • Ray Hobbs
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 6, 2006
                      Ed:
                      The 13th arrived in Canada in 1813 to undergo light Infantry training.
                      They are not listed among the participants of the Battle of Ile aux
                      noix, which is also St. John's or the Richlieu River. This took place
                      on June 3rd, 1813. This is the encounter in which two US ships were
                      captured - Growler and Eagle.
                      The first listed engagement of the 13th - from numerous sources - is
                      the one which followed over a month later, and was a looting expedition
                      which went as far as Burlington Vermont.
                      It was under the command of Murray of the 100th, and the British troops
                      consisted of detachments of the 100th, 13th, 104th, Canadian Fencibles,
                      Select Embodied Militia and Royal Artillery.
                      The raid was severely criticised by both sides for its wanton
                      destruction of private property.
                      However, as far as I know, no ships were involved in this one.
                      Still digging.
                      Yrs with respect
                      Ray
                      41st

                      On 6-Oct-06, at 11:35 AM, Ed Seufert wrote:

                      > On the other hand, the following is listed on the Somerset LI Museum
                      > Website.
                      >
                      > "Many uniforms from the 18th century to modern times.
                      > There are several prized items of Regimental interest including the
                      > last Colours carried by the Somerset Light Infantry and a United
                      > States naval flag which was captured by the 13th of Foot in Canada
                      > in 1813."
                      >
                      > If the 13th was posted to Canada in 1813, they may have had a hand
                      > in the capture of the two US vessels in the Richelieu. Does anyone
                      > know the date that the 13th arrived in Canada?
                      >
                      > Cheers,
                      >
                      > Ed Seufert, Cpl
                      > 1812 Royal Marines
                      >
                      > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "LCpl_rm" <LCpl_RM@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Vic,
                      > >
                      > > The foray into Lake Champlain by Pring and the bombardment of the
                      > Ft Cassin at the mouth of Otter Creek took place in May 1814, two
                      > months after LaColle. Pring does mention the capture of a small
                      > vessel and talking to two prisoners about the American ship building
                      > efforts up Otter Creek at Vergennes. He also mentions sailing to
                      > Plattsburgh and Burlington to check on any building efforts going on
                      > in those ports. He then sails back to Ile-aux-Noix with the
                      > knowledge that the Americans are building a large vessel and the
                      > need for the British to follow suit. His letter is addressed to a
                      > Colonel William Williams, British Army, and in it, he suggests that
                      > any artificers from the regiments be assembled to work on the new
                      > vessel. Without any other letters from Pring, its hard to know what
                      > else he may have captured while on Lake Champlain in May 1814.
                      > >
                      > > The raids that resulted in the destruction/capture of some
                      > American vessels on Lake Champlain took place in August 1813.
                      > >
                      > > Cheers,
                      > >
                      > > Ed Seufert, Cpl
                      > > 1812 Royal Marines

                    • LCpl_rm
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 6, 2006
                        Ray,

                        Thanks for the information.

                        It looks like the 13th arrived in the Montreal area around the end of June and was pushed up to St Johns.

                        What I'm reading is that the Army raids into the Lake Champlain area left Isle Aux Noix on July 29th and Plattsburgh, Champlain and Swanton were attacked with all military supplies, barracks, works destroyed or carried off. The force returned on Aug 3. Murray's second in command is Ltc Williams of the 13th Foot. (Swanton is in Vermont near the border.)

                        I say Army raids as Murray says in his letter to Major General Sheaffe, dated the 3rd, that the Naval portion under Captains Everard and Pring "is still cruising on the Lake". This force returned on the 4th after sailing over to Burlington and trying to entice the American naval forces out onto the Lake. Not being successful there, they captured 4 vessels about 20 miles above Burlington and then returned. Everard reported that there was a large force of Americans (5000) encamped at Burlington and that the American ships were moored under a high bank upon which was artillery. There is no mention of landing at Burlington or conducting any raids ashore.

                        Everard in his report spells Pring as Pryng.

                        Cheers,

                        Ed Seufert, Cpl
                        1812 Royal Marines