Heritage Days - Faire at the Forks 2006

  • Gordon Deans
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2006
      On behalf of Elsie and Ken Fisher, commanding the HMS Charwell Landing
      Party and Battery Commander Louise Simcoe, I would like to extend our
      compliments and congratulations to Jim and Lisa Gilbert, Sheila Gibbs
      and all of the supporters and volunteers that made the final
      reenactment a great and memorable event.

      We had both the worst and the best of weather all in the same weekend
      which was a perfect reprise of the entire history of the Faire at the
      Forks. It was a special moment for all who attended and exchanged
      their goodbyes until next year's season.

      It was also a testament to all of our hardy reenactors who stayed
      through the cold and rain to be rewarded with a beautiful sunny
      Sunday.

      This past weekend was a good reason for all of us the be proud of our
      reenactment community and its inclusiveness.

      Gord Deans, Gunner,
      HMS Charwell Landing Party, Royal Navy.

    • Peter Monahan
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2006
        I would like to echo Gord Deans' sentiments about the 15th and final Faire At The Forkes. The weather on Saturday made me wonder at least once why I do this strange thing we call "re-enacting". Sunday's weather and the many many fine people with whom I shared it reminded me exactly why!

        Congratulations to Jim, Lisa, Sheila and all the organizers for many years of devotion and work. It won't be forgotten ! God bless all.

        Peter monahan, Sgt Major, CFNA

        From: "Gordon Deans" <gord.deans@...>
        Date: 2006/10/02 Mon AM 01:22:31 EST
        To: <WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com>
        CC: <sgibbs@...>,
        <lgilbert@...>
        Subject: [WarOf1812] Heritage Days - Faire at the Forks 2006

[...]

      • Susan Spencer
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 2, 2006
          Well said, Pete and Gord! Although my skirts may never recover from
          Saturday's mud bath, Sunday's wonderful weather more than made up for it
          -- and does anyone ever remember seeing a crowd that large on Sunday at
          the Faire? It was great that the community turned out in such great
          numbers to support the final event. Even kids' day was great --
          apparently there were an unprecedented number of parent volunteers who
          made themselves available this year, with the result that the kids were
          in smaller groups and were able to spend more time at each stop along
          the way. What an all-round wonderful weekend we had!

          We do indeed owe Jim, Lisa, Sheila, and the rest of the committee a
          tremendous thanks for all of their hard work and dedication, not only
          for this year's fine event, but for every Faire at the Forks for the
          past 15 years. Well done, all!!

          And for all those who asked, the grey and white kitten has been
          temporarily christened "Hoover" (a reflection on his speed and style of
          eating, as opposed to any reference to any American presidents), and has
          gone home with Sutler Cyrus to join his pride of felines.

          Cheers,
          -- Sioux