conflicting events and crowded schedule

  • Dave Westhouse
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 17, 2006
      There are only so many weeks in a month and only so many months in a
      year. Re-enactors will go to the events they want to and no more. I
      personally go to quite a few. It's just what I do.

      If you look at the number of events listed on the 1812 Events List
      http://royal.scots.tripod.com/warof1812eventslist/

      there are
      37 events listed (which do not include all the paid events each group
      does)
      8 of those weekends there are 2 events at the same time (in 1 case
      there are 3)
      By month
      January - 2
      February - 1
      March - 0
      April - 1
      May - 6
      June - 5
      July - 5
      August - 5
      September - 7
      October - 3
      November - 1
      December - 1

      You can't make it to all of them but to those you WANT to go to you will.

      There are so many factors for so many people with events you could
      probably write a paper on it. Hey, wait a minute, isn't somebody doing
      a thesis on that right now? Close, interesting, historical,
      significant, fun, never been there, educational, word of mouth, cool,
      relevent, entertaining, convenient, once-in-a-lifetime, whatever.
      As a former event chairperson you plan the event, put in the
      elements needed and hope for the best. As a current event advisor you
      advise on the elements needed and hope for the best. Bruce Whittaker
      said it best with all the elements needed to put these things on. I
      think he missed about a hundred things though. (just kidding Bruce).
      Everyone here will go to what they want to go to. Some will go to
      more than one event in one weekend, sometimes 3. It's all personal
      choice and what you are comfortable doing. Some say it would be too
      much doing 2 or 3 in a row. Sometimes I've done 4, next year I'll do 5
      in a row. That's me and that's what I do. Fortunately for us it's a
      family thing. Instead of camping at a provincial campground or family
      resort we re-enact. I'm not away from my family because they are with
      me and I am with them. So if you were to rate the events, or ever try
      to, re-enactors will still go to their favorites, locals, new
      interests, whatever they want to in their own schedule.

      Look at one of Jesse Rendas polls. If every re-enactor filled out how
      many events they went to...

      Dave Westhouse,
      1st (Royal Scots) Grenadiers