Re: [WarOf1812] 1812 subs

  • Armchairadm@cs.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 17, 2006
      Interesting site on subs. I've heard of Fulton's various submarine
      projects before but hadn't heard of Silas Clowden Halsey, or the attempt to
      build a submarine at New London. It would not surprise me find out that Fulton
      was involved in this project in one way or another.

      During the War of 1812 Fulton was involved in a number of projects in
      and around the New York area to disrupt the British blockade. Many of these
      involved a variety of what the British referred to as "Infernal Machines",
      i.e. Fire Rafts, Floating Mines or Torpedoes, etc. By far is most unusual
      project was for the worlds 1st Steam Powered Warship, the Demologos, completed just
      to late for use in the War of 1812.

      For more info on the Demologos (officially know as Fulton Steam Battery No.
      1) go:

      http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/sh-usn/usnsh-f/fulton.htm

      Ed B.