buckets

  • Mark Dickerson
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 6, 2006
      Tin buckets have been recovered from Rev War archeological sites in addition to wooden buckets. If they had them in that war, makes sense they would also exist in 1812. Especially considering the British army was getting rid of cast camp kettles in favour of tin ones for the men. And they are lighter to carry.

      Mark Dickerson

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 6, 2006

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 6, 2006
          "Mark Dickerson" <mdickerson1@...> wrote:

          "Tin buckets have been recovered from Rev War archeological sites
          in addition to wooden buckets. If they had them in that war, makes
          sense they would also exist in 1812. Especially considering the
          British army was getting rid of cast camp kettles in favour of tin
          ones for the men. And they are lighter to carry."

          Dr. Mark

          My research:

          - Wooden buckets to carry liquid in
          - Tin camp kettles to cook in

          This was the Army and wood was cheaper than tin …

          The item were discussing was a 'French canvas water bag'

          … to carry water in ....

          Yrs.,
          L2
        • KILTONE@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 6, 2006
            In a message dated 9/6/2006 5:17:03 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
            mdickerson1@... writes:

            Tin buckets have been recovered from Rev War archeological sites in addition
            to wooden buckets. If they had them in that war, makes sense they would also
            exist in 1812. Especially considering the British army was getting rid of
            cast camp kettles in favour of tin ones for the men. And they are lighter to
            carry.

            Mark Dickerson

            The bucket in question was canvas I believe

            YHS
            Michael