rental chairs at reenactment sites

  • tracyforsyth2001
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 4, 2006
      There are a few events left before the winter sets in.

      Just a request/reminder that some locations,museums and forts rent
      chairs for these events for the public to sit in during presentations
      and after the event have to return the exact number of chairs to the
      rental company or they get charged a ridiculous replacement fee,

      On behalf of my son Jake and the other people who volunteer/work at
      these sites and hunt these chairs down the sunday of the Battle weekend.

      If you borrow a chair or find a chair please return it to the area they
      belong.

      One Sunday of a battle weekend Jake who volunteers at Fort George
      hunted for 200 chairs. 50 were not where they should be and were all
      over the bastions and battle field/encampment area and some were even
      at Navy Hall.
      The loss of these chairs would have been a big expense to the Fort.

      Please be kind a return a chair,
      Tracy
    • John Harris
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 5, 2006
        I wasn't aware that chairs were rented at event's ?? I'm usually too
        busy on field to notice these things !
        I would suggest, that if Ft. George and other sites are doing this,
        then they get a deposit in the way of a credit card, from the renter.
        if the chair is not returned, then the charge is put on the card.
        Post a sign at the rental area indicating this policy, with a very
        large service fee notification if the chairs go walking.
        If people don't like it, they can bring thier own chair !!
        Just a thought.
        John Harris
        22nd US , yada, yada, yada,
        Toronto

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "tracyforsyth2001"
        <tracyforsyth@...> wrote:

        > There are a few events left before the winter sets in.
        >
        > Just a request/reminder that some locations,museums and forts rent
        > chairs for these events for the public to sit in during
        presentations
        > and after the event have to return the exact number of chairs to
        the
        > rental company or they get charged a ridiculous replacement fee,
        >
        > On behalf of my son Jake and the other people who volunteer/work at
        > these sites and hunt these chairs down the sunday of the Battle
        weekend.

        > If you borrow a chair or find a chair please return it to the area
        they
        > belong.
        >
        > One Sunday of a battle weekend Jake who volunteers at Fort George
        > hunted for 200 chairs. 50 were not where they should be and were
        all
        > over the bastions and battle field/encampment area and some were
        even
        > at Navy Hall.
        > The loss of these chairs would have been a big expense to the Fort.
        >
        > Please be kind a return a chair,
        > Tracy

      • Thomas Hurlbut
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 5, 2006
          Uh, John, I think what this is about is that the historic sites rent chairs (for spectators and the like) and that the re-enactors are "borrowing" them and leaving them elsewhere, making it difficult for the organizers to ensure that they all get back to the rental agency as per the agreement. When chairs turn up missing (and there she was, gone!), then the sites get charged a punative fee.

          Get it?

          Oh, wait a minute!! You're joking, aren't you?!

          Duh..

          Your friendly neighbourhood know-it-all,

          "Major" Tom
          US 25th

        • Vince Wilding
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 5, 2006
            No, the site rents the chairs from a rental company, it lets the public
            use them at no charge (other than covered by admission charge)
            But you had a good idea, posting a notice requesting that chairs be
            returned to where they came from.

            --
            *Vince Wilding, AKA Honest Jock Matlow*
            SweeteeFace's Memorial Page - www.RobiWilding.com