Scout Brigade of Fort George

  • Kevin Windsor
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 4, 2006
      This is primarily for those in the Niagara region and Toronto region so my
      apologies for those far away.

      For the 22nd year now Scouts Canada will be hosting the Scout Brigade of
      Fort George in Niagara on the Lake on September 16. This is a camp for
      Scouts aged 11-17 from Canada and the US to get together and lean firsthand
      about the War of 1812. This year we will also be hosting Beavers and Cubs
      for a short day programme. We will have a record year for attendance this
      campaign with almost 2100 Beavers, Cubs, Scouts, Venturers, Leaders, and
      support personnel attending.

      We portray 3 British regiments and one US Regiment. The regiments are

      The Royal Newfoundland Reg't

      The 8th Regiment

      The 49th Regiment

      And the 1st and 2nd Battalion of the 6th United States Infantry. Each
      regiment (or battalion) will camp between 350 to 400 participants.

      This year we are looking for a little more help. In the past we have had
      re-enactors come to the Fort and help train. (As always my thanks to IMUC,
      8th Foot, 89th Regiment, 1st Lincoln Artillery, and 19th US for your
      continued support) This year some of those trainers will be doing other
      training duties that weekend and we are looking for infantry trainers. We
      are looking for re-enactors that are comfortable in not only the manual of
      arms, but also teaching it to youth aged 11-17.

      Ultimately I am only responsible for the Royal Newfoundland Regiment and
      need 4 or 5 trainers for that regiment (each trainer will take 2 companies
      or 40-50 youth) but any offers will be passed on to the other Regiment's 2IC
      in charge of programme.

      If you would like to see more of the programme please go to
      http://www.scoutscan.net/ftgeorge/Photos.htm

      If you are interested please contact me off list at
      kevin.windsor@...

      Regards,

      Kevin Windsor

    • Kevin Windsor
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 20, 2009
        Greetings all!

        This year the Scout Brigade of Fort George will be celebrating its 25th
        Anniversary! For those of you not familiar with the programme, we are an
        international Scout Camp based on the War of 1812. We hold our fall
        Campaign every September at Fort George in Niagara on the Lake.

        This year I am once again asking if any re-enactors would like to help train
        on Saturday September 19 from 9:30 to 11:45

        I am not asking for much experience in the way of training. Just knowledge
        of basic marching, loading, firing, and manual of arms is needed. Ideally I
        would like to have one re-enactor per company (between 30-50 kids) but I
        will take whatever I can get!!

        I don't have permission to offer barracks space, but if that would help get
        you there I can definitely negotiate that on your behalf. If you are
        interested or would like more detail please email me back at

        kevin.windsor (at) sympatico (dot) ca

        Please let me know if you are interested. The kids would love to see you
        and you can keep any leader you recruit!!

        Thanks

        Kevin Windsor, Lieutenant Colonel
        Royal Newfoundland Regiment (Scout Brigade of Ft George)
      • BritcomHMP@aol.com
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 20, 2009
          SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT

          As many will be aware we were told that the Battle of New Orleans Commemoration could not be held at the NPS battlesite in January 2010 because of the reconstruction work going on to repair Katrina damage. Well things have changed, though we had a new battlesite picked out, which some saw in January, dficulties in preparin the new site and chenges in schedule for the park work mean that we WILL be back at the NPS site this year.

          However there have been some posibly exciting developments that have come out of this, another site was sugested as a posible site for the event, undeveloped (if a cow pasture is undeveloped) with a good amount of tree cover and excellent road access. We shal be begining negotiations next week but in 2011 we may have a vastly expanded New Orleans event with space for suttlers and opposing lines battles on a completely separate site a little down river from the actual battlesite and encompasing some of the land that was held by the British in 1815.

          So, this year we will have to avoid the construction of the new visitor center and the monument will be closed and fenced off, however we will be having an expanded ceremony on Friday the 8th for the anniversary of the battle, The night battle in the Villerie oaks as last year, and the lantern tour as usual.
          I understand that Steve Abolt may have somthing special planned too but I will leave hi to tell you about that.

          All the best,

        • Victor Suthren
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 20, 2009
            Tim, if I may, I hope very much that in January 2015, Providence willing, all the many re-enactors in the United States and Canada (and elsewhere) who will have taken up arms to commemorate the Bicentennial will climax things by coming en masse down to join you at New Orleans for the smashing 200th of the battle. What a grand finale that would be.

            Vic Suthren

            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 20, 2009
              Tim, if I may, I hope very much that in January 2015, Providence willing, all the many re-enactors in the United States and Canada (and elsewhere) who will have taken up arms to commemorate the Bicentennial will climax things by coming en masse down to join you at New Orleans for the smashing 200th of the battle. What a grand finale that would be.

              Vic Suthren

              Dear Vic,

              By that time I hope we will be able to have held a Grand Tactical there and, if the stars are in alignment, we will also be able to stage that fine naval engagement, the Battle of Lake Bourgne.

              It has already been placed on the proposed schedule and we have the enthusiastic support of the local authorities, though not much cash yet. I would also like to stage the raid on Grand Terre by Commodore Patterson.

              Aye,

            • Kevin Windsor
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 27, 2010
                Greetings all, the Scout Brigade of Fort George is once again holding our
                War of 1812 camp September 17-19, 2010. We are looking for a few good
                soldiers to help train the kids. The Royal Newfoundland Regiment has asked
                for help so I am looking for 6 to help train them. If you can spare some
                time on Saturday September 18 from 9 until 12 I could use your help!

                We will gladly give you lunch at the RNR HQ and you can stay and watch the
                "battle" (with 1000 a side and if you blur your eyes a little it almost
                looks real!)

                I can look into a place to set up tents if needed, but there is no
                accommodations inside the fort.

                If you are interested in helping please contact me directly at
                Kevin.windsor@...

                Thank you

                Kevin