Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: Adding New Unit and Trotter Packs

Expand Messages
  • Chris McKay
    So here we go with Trotter packs again. I ve posted before, but there are some new people, so I ll just make a few points. First, Trotter Pack means
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 27, 2006
      So here we go with Trotter packs again. I've posted before, but
      there are some new people, so I'll just make a few points.
      First, 'Trotter Pack' means different things to different people
      because there's no such thing. Mr. Trotter of Soho (as he was
      known) was a supplier of just about everything to the army. He made
      packs, but he also made belting, caps, etc. His business was
      enormous. Anyway, there are three styles of packs currently in use
      in the Crown Forces:
      The first is an envelope style pack that Sue sells and is also
      available on Discriminating General. It was a late Rev War pack (I
      believe) and it continued in use into the early nineteenth century.
      This is certainly an acceptable pattern for an early War of 1812
      impression (see the 41st for a pattern or buy one from Sue).
      The second style is the style I first made when I joined the hobby.
      It has a square wood frame with canvas stretched over it and was
      called a 'Trotter Pack.' It was great for getting stuff to and from
      events and looked good, but the style did not appear before the
      1820s. It is wrong for our time. Period.
      So, the third style is obviously what came between 1805 (when a new
      pattern was produced) and the post-war framed pattern. This pack is
      clearly rounder than the later pattern from period pictures. I
      haven't found a pattern or even decent description, so we (Royal
      Scots, Light Company) made a prototype and have had it picked over.
      The innovation with the new pack was that the straps were no longer
      sewn onto the pack and now went all the way around. Incidentally,
      someone told me that they weren't sure about the greatcoat being
      strapped on top, but we recently found that the 4th battalion of the
      Royals lost greatcoats, plus straps (plus shakos, pants, etc.) in a
      If anyone wants, they can contact me off-list and I will send them
      the pattern we made up, complete with things we found out that were
      wrong after we made the prototype. This style is fairly simple, so
      if you're good with a sewing machine and a leather punch, you should
      have no trouble making one up yourself.

      Chris McKay

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Iain Burns" <iain51hdbw@...>
      > I'm new here myself, and would advise you to check this list
      and the 1812 Progressive List for back-conversations on whether
      the "Trotter" pack you are talking about is:
      > a) The one Souix is talking about ("Trotter" evidently means
      different things to different people), and
      > 2) If the Pack you are talking about is reallt the one that is
      appropriate for your Regiment and time period.
      > The best way yo check for old posts is to go to the main
      Warof1812 Yahoo page and then search of trotter and pack.
      > I just started to put my kit together starting in the Spring,
      and have found that most of the things I knew about patterns were at
      least debatable if not completely wrong, so it pays to ask around a
      bit and try to get primary sources for your research.
      > Good luck!
      > Aye,
      > Iain Burns,
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.