Re: [WarOf1812] USS Growler again

  • kevin.windsor@sympatico.ca
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 26, 2006
      I just came across this letter.

      "Sackett's Harbor, 13th Nov. 1812, at night.
      Sir, since the enclosed letter from the Commodore was written the Growler has returned with a prize, and in her Capt Brock, brother to the late General of that name, with the baggage of the latter. By prize we learned that the Earl of Moira was off the False Ducks, and the Commodore has put off in a snow storm in the hope of cutting her off from Kingston. From information received from Captain Brock there is no question but Kingston is strongly defended. He expressed surprise to find our vessels had got out of the harbor after having been in it, and says that the Regiment to which he belongs is quartered there 500 strong, besides other regulars and a well appointed militia. The resistance made fully justifies this report. Be assured, Sir, that in the action of which the Commodore has given you an account the national honor has been most ably supported."

      Kevin
      89th
    • Ray Hobbs
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 26, 2006
        Kevin:
        There is a lot wrong with this letter, and it teaches me the danger of
        taking "original sources" at their face value.
        The Captain Brock (Paymaster of the 49th) captured was not the brother
        of Isaac. He was soon returned to the garrison at Kingston, and had he,
        in fact, informed the Americans of troop strength in Kingston he would
        be in serious do-do - court martial, treason, aiding and abetting the
        enemy??
        I recall reading that Capt. Brock wrote a letter to the Kingston
        Gazette denying all US claims that he had given them information.
        The letter is unsigned in your transcription. Check the author and
        let's see if he had anything to gain by such a story.
        BTW - this is not the Growler I am interested in. That one sailed on
        Lake Champlain. But it just goes to show what a Pandora's box one opens
        by a simple question.
        As always - ain't history fun?
        Yrs respectfully
        Ray