Re: [WarOf1812] Re: Adding New Unit to http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

  • Susan Spencer
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 26, 2006
      kings64th wrote:

      >Since we are currently in the kitting up stage, I have a request.
      >Does anyone on this list know a source for patterns for the trotter
      >pack and the Belgic shako cover? Also, does anyone have a better
      >source than the Discriminating General for Belt Plates and Shako
      >plates?
      >
      >Cheers,
      >
      >Cole Jones
      >4th King's Own Regiment

      Hello, Cole, and welcome --

      I have trotter packs, plain belt plates, and Universal and Belgic shako
      plates in stock. Please feel free to contact me off-list if you'd like
      pricing and details.

      If you should happen to be in the neighbourhood of Springfield, Ohio
      next Saturday or Sunday, my shop will be at the Fair at New Boston
      (Customs willing) -- an excellent place for period shopping of all sorts
      (I mean the Fair, not just my shop!).

      Cheers,
      -- Sioux
      Spencer's Mercantile
    • Iain Burns
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 27, 2006
        Hullo Cole
        Welcome to the world of 1812! I think I may know a couple of your people, as I do WW2 Navy on the North Carolina... there are quite a few old Blackknots infesting the ship!
        I'm new here myself, and would advise you to check this list and the 1812 Progressive List for back-conversations on whether the "Trotter" pack you are talking about is:
        a) The one Souix is talking about ("Trotter" evidently means different things to different people), and
        2) If the Pack you are talking about is reallt the one that is appropriate for your Regiment and time period.
        The best way yo check for old posts is to go to the main Warof1812 Yahoo page and then search of trotter and pack.
        I just started to put my kit together starting in the Spring, and have found that most of the things I knew about patterns were at least debatable if not completely wrong, so it pays to ask around a bit and try to get primary sources for your research.
        Good luck!
        Aye,
        Iain Burns,
        (killing the enemies of King George II, III, and VI and that upstart FDR for over 30 years)

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 27, 2006
          So here we go with Trotter packs again. I've posted before, but
          there are some new people, so I'll just make a few points.
          First, 'Trotter Pack' means different things to different people
          because there's no such thing. Mr. Trotter of Soho (as he was
          known) was a supplier of just about everything to the army. He made
          packs, but he also made belting, caps, etc. His business was
          enormous. Anyway, there are three styles of packs currently in use
          in the Crown Forces:
          The first is an envelope style pack that Sue sells and is also
          available on Discriminating General. It was a late Rev War pack (I
          believe) and it continued in use into the early nineteenth century.
          This is certainly an acceptable pattern for an early War of 1812
          impression (see the 41st for a pattern or buy one from Sue).
          The second style is the style I first made when I joined the hobby.
          It has a square wood frame with canvas stretched over it and was
          called a 'Trotter Pack.' It was great for getting stuff to and from
          events and looked good, but the style did not appear before the
          1820s. It is wrong for our time. Period.
          So, the third style is obviously what came between 1805 (when a new
          pattern was produced) and the post-war framed pattern. This pack is
          clearly rounder than the later pattern from period pictures. I
          haven't found a pattern or even decent description, so we (Royal
          Scots, Light Company) made a prototype and have had it picked over.
          The innovation with the new pack was that the straps were no longer
          sewn onto the pack and now went all the way around. Incidentally,
          someone told me that they weren't sure about the greatcoat being
          strapped on top, but we recently found that the 4th battalion of the
          Royals lost greatcoats, plus straps (plus shakos, pants, etc.) in a
          shipwreck.
          If anyone wants, they can contact me off-list and I will send them
          the pattern we made up, complete with things we found out that were
          wrong after we made the prototype. This style is fairly simple, so
          if you're good with a sewing machine and a leather punch, you should
          have no trouble making one up yourself.

          Chris McKay

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Iain Burns" <iain51hdbw@...>