e-mail etiquette: "snipping" responses

  • Jim Yaworsky
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 24, 1999
      Over the months this List has been in existence (nearly a year now, actually) there have been occasional reminders that when responding to a message posted to the List, you should "snip" or "clip" your response.

      Reasons:
      1) it isn't necessary to repeat the whole message back, for people to follow the "thread", provided a proper "subject" exists: the thread of discussion can be followed by those interested in it...
      2) it isn't that hard to do & many list members have made it quite clear they would appreciate people making the effort, 'cause: unsnipped messages are way longer than they have to be, which wastes readers' time; and unsnipped messages make for a much longer download time for those who receive their e-mail from this List as a daily "Digest"; and because not everyone has a really fast modem, or service provider - and using up connection time to download unnecessary information can even hit List members in the ol' pocketbook...

      I will start by e-mailing to those who are not even attempting to "clip" properly, their unclipped message, in an acceptably "clipped" format. If the "non-clipping" persists, then "offenders" will be put on moderated status and I will clip their messages for them before posting them to the list. After a while of that, I will probably get tired of having my time wasted, and List membership will be revoked...

      Jim The Moderator
    • Easeufe@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 31, 1999
        In a message dated 10/31/99 8:38:38 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        yawors1@... writes:

        > Over the months this List has been in existence (nearly a year now,
        actually)

        Jim,

        Thanks for all your hard work. Keep on Moderating.

        Some other comments:
        Does everyone realize that the comments that we make are open to the general
        public? I was checking the other 'onelists' and saw that there are no
        restrictions to our own. I was able to read our messages without logging in.
        Just a word to the wise when you feel like making negative
        chastisements.......

        Ed
        RM