Re: New York Militia

  • tedyeat
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 9, 2006
      Rich, You might want to look at the below link for the Company of
      Military Historians. What sort of info. are you looking for. Down
      here we do the 5th Md. Militia, which wore similar, if not identical
      uniforms to NY.

      YH&OS
      Ted Yeatman
      Fell's Point Rifles
      1st Md. Rifle BN.

      http://company.military-historians.org/

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Richard McGuinness"
      <chinajoy@...> wrote:

      > Hi All,
      >
      > I am brand new to the group(and the study of the War of 1812). I
      am
      > currnetly a reenactor in the 5th NY Regiment portraying Bevier's
      > Company, 1777. We are out of the Lower Hudson Valley. We have had
      > initial discussions on developing an 1812 impression of a New York
      > Unit and I have agreed to do the initial research. I am thinking
      of a
      > Militia unit(or regular infantry if any) raised in the area,
      Orange,
      > Ulster or Sullivan Counties. I have come across "Bevier's
      Battalion"
      > from Ulster County including a muster roll of unknown origin. But
      > that's it. Can't find anything else within easy reach on any NY
      > Militia. Am I going to Albany to read veterans Claims for Awards
      of
      > Soldiers of the War of 1812 and the Payroll Abstracts or is there
      an
      > easier, softer way to get info on NY Militia units? I love the
      > research, just have zero time. I've ordered some of Donald Graves'
      > works and have picked up some other basic histories to get
      started.
      > Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
      >
      > Rich M

    • Richard McGuinness
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 10, 2006
        Ted,

        Thanks for the advice. I would be interested in why you say that
        your Maryland Militia would be wearing the same clothing as the New
        Yorkers.
        To answer your question of what I'm looking for, I'm first trying
        to identify a unit, preferably of local origin, with a glorious
        history and easily accessable, perfect documentation for clothing
        and accoutrements! That's not too much to ask, is it? All joking
        aside, I need to get up to speed on the basic history, especially
        the Niagra/northern campaigns.
        I had no idea how ignorant I was about this conflict and time
        period. I thought I was smarter than the agerage guy when it comes
        to history. I interpret (on a volunteer basis) a New York Historic
        Site from the American Revolution - Fort Montgomery on the lower
        Hudson River. I can't tell you how many times I am asked what
        Abraham Lincoln did during the Revolution. But here I stand
        embarrassed to say that I did not know that Americans were fighting
        Canadians in the War of 1812. And - that the Canadians were fiercly
        defending their homeland against an invasion by Americans. I feel
        so stupid.
        What I vaguely knew about the War of 1812 was American ships vs.
        British ships; British soldiers burning Washington; and the British
        attacking New Orleans. Nobody told me about Canada. Certainly not to
        discount the other theaters of operation but I think I'm going to
        start with the war on the Canadian-New York border since it's in my
        backyard. I started reading "Dawn's Early Light" but have put it
        down for "Where Right and Glory Lead". I read the first 10 pages and
        I'm hooked. Should probably read "Field of Glory" first.
        I also got some diaries form Old Fort Niagra and have already
        learned that the US 23rd Infantry was raised mainly in NY. Can
        anyone comment on that? Doesn't look like anyone is portraying that
        unit.
        I've also discovered some local "uniformed" Militia from Newburgh,
        NY that was sent "North" to Fort Hamilton. This is interesting
        because the only Fort Hamilton I know is in Brooklyn, NY, not quite
        on the northern frontier with Canada. If anyone knows about a Fort
        Hamilton on the border I'd like to hear about it.
        Once I gain some more information I can ask some intelligent
        questions. By the way, would a Brown Bess from the Revolution still
        see some service in 1812?

        I want to say thanks to Cal Arnt for his kind welcome and invitation
        and to Larry Lozon for his research advice. Looking forward to
        seeing some of you somewhere.

        Rich McGuinness
        Adj, 5th NY Regiment, 1777

        PS I know I'm asking a lot of questions but I am just blown away by
        how much there is to learn about this really interesting time period.

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "tedyeat" <tedyeat@...> wrote:

        > Rich, You might want to look at the below link for the Company of
        > Military Historians. What sort of info. are you looking for. Down
        > here we do the 5th Md. Militia, which wore similar, if not
        identical
        > uniforms to NY.
        >
        > YH&OS
        > Ted Yeatman
        > Fell's Point Rifles
        > 1st Md. Rifle BN.
        >
        > http://company.military-historians.org/
        >
        > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Richard McGuinness"
        > <chinajoy@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi All,
        > >
        > > I am brand new to the group(and the study of the War of 1812). I
        > am
        > > currnetly a reenactor in the 5th NY Regiment portraying Bevier's
        > > Company, 1777. We are out of the Lower Hudson Valley. We have
        had
        > > initial discussions on developing an 1812 impression of a New
        York
        > > Unit and I have agreed to do the initial research. I am thinking
        > of a
        > > Militia unit(or regular infantry if any) raised in the area,
        > Orange,
        > > Ulster or Sullivan Counties. I have come across "Bevier's
        > Battalion"
        > > from Ulster County including a muster roll of unknown origin.
        But
        > > that's it. Can't find anything else within easy reach on any NY
        > > Militia. Am I going to Albany to read veterans Claims for Awards
        > of
        > > Soldiers of the War of 1812 and the Payroll Abstracts or is
        there
        > an
        > > easier, softer way to get info on NY Militia units? I love the
        > > research, just have zero time. I've ordered some of Donald
        Graves'
        > > works and have picked up some other basic histories to get
        > started.
        > > Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
        > >
        > > Rich M

      • LCpl_rm
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 11, 2006
          Rich,

          WOW! You mean you never heard that the War was won at Ft McHenry, in Baltimore?!?!?

          Welcome to our world. Since you are not that far above New York, once you get up and running you're welcome to come down to the land of small 1812 events, Maryland.

          Cheers,

          Ed Seufert, Cpl
          1812 Royal Marines

          PS: Besses, especially India Patterns, are appropriate for British troops and US Marines.
> [...]

          > Orange,
          > > Ulster or Sullivan Counties. I have come across "Bevier's
          > Battalion"
          > > from Ulster County including a muster roll of unknown origin.
          But
          > > that's it. Can't find anything else within easy reach on any NY
          > > Militia. Am I going to Albany to read veterans Claims for Awards
          > of
          > > Soldiers of the War of 1812 and the Payroll Abstracts or is
          there
          > an
          > > easier, softer way to get info on NY Militia units? I love the
          > > research, just have zero time. I've ordered some of Donald
          Graves'
          > > works and have picked up some other basic histories to get
          > started.
          > > Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

        • Ted Yeatman
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 11, 2006
            Maryland and NY both wore the 1809-10 pattern U.S. Infantry uniform
            for their Volunteer line infantry. Look at the below link. You might
            need to cut and paste this. Ted
            http://www.iaw.on.ca/~jsek/5thMaryland.htm

            <chinajoy@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > > Ulster or Sullivan Counties. I have come across "Bevier's
            > > Battalion"
            > > > from Ulster County including a muster roll of unknown origin.
            > But
            > > > that's it. Can't find anything else within easy reach on any
            NY
            > > > Militia. Am I going to Albany to read veterans Claims for
            Awards
            > > of
            > > > Soldiers of the War of 1812 and the Payroll Abstracts or is
            > there
            > > an
            > > > easier, softer way to get info on NY Militia units? I love the
            > > > research, just have zero time. I've ordered some of Donald
            > Graves'
            > > > works and have picked up some other basic histories to get
            > > started.
            > > > Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

          • Richard McGuinness
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 14, 2006
              Ed,

              Not sure if I replied to this or not, so Yeah, i forgot to mention
              that the British lost all hope when they saw our flag was still
              there. They got scared, ran away and surrnedered. That is the the
              way it happened, right?

              I hope to make it to an event in MD some time in the next year. Do
              you have a website with schedule?

              Hope to see you sometime.

              I'm thinking I need to update the odl Brown Bess, especially if I'm
              going to do regular US Infantry

              Thanks for the reply,

              Rich McGuinness
              Adj, 5th NY Regiment, 1777

              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 14, 2006
                Ted,

                Thanks for the info. I have a couple of questions, 1)Can you point me
                to some primary or secondary documentation on this? 2) As far as the
                infantry structure of the Army, I think I'm seeing three basic units
                US Infantry
                State Volunteers
                State Militia

                Are volunteers and militia the same? or does it depend on the state.
                Did militia and/or volunteers usually have uniforms. This was
                certainly not the case in the Rev War. Appreciate any input.

                Rich

              • suthren@magma.ca
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 14, 2006
                  Chaps, please. The Baltimore defence was sturdily and courageously mounted,
                  and the British forces made a military decision to break off the assault
                  plans when it was evident the cost would exceed the military or political
                  value of continuing. The loss of Ross was also a factor. But the Brits
                  weren't 'scared' and didn't 'run away' (like---ah---some other lads did at a
                  place called Bladensburg), but merely wthdrew. America had an honorable
                  defence she could be proud of after the shame of letting her capital be
                  entered, looted and burned. But that defence was honorable because the enemy
                  was a cool, steady customer who wasn't known for being scared and running;
                  it wouldn't have meant as much if the Brits were shaky and inept: neither of
                  which they were. You were kidding, right?

                  Vic Suthren
                  Canada
                  > Not sure if I replied to this or not, so Yeah, i forgot to mention
                  > that the British lost all hope when they saw our flag was still
                  > there. They got scared, ran away and surrnedered. That is the the
                  > way it happened, right?
                  >
                  > I hope to make it to an event in MD some time in the next year. Do
                  > you have a website with schedule?
                  >
                  > Hope to see you sometime.
                  >
                  > I'm thinking I need to update the odl Brown Bess, especially if I'm
                  > going to do regular US Infantry
                  >
                  > Thanks for the reply,
                  >
                  > Rich McGuinness
                  > Adj, 5th NY Regiment, 1777
                  >
                  > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "LCpl_rm" <LCpl_RM@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Rich,
                  > >
                  > > WOW! You mean you never heard that the War was won at Ft McHenry,
                  > in Baltimore?!?!?
                  > >
                  > > Welcome to our world. Since you are not that far above New York,
                  > once you get up and running you're welcome to come down to the land
                  > of small 1812 events, Maryland.
                  > >
                  > > Cheers,
                  > >
                  > > Ed Seufert, Cpl
                  > > 1812 Royal Marines
                  > >
                  > > PS: Besses, especially India Patterns, are appropriate for
                  > British troops and US Marines.

                  square miles...

                  > --

                • Richard McGuinness
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 14, 2006
                    Vic,

                    I was definitely kidding. I was trying to show the general lack of
                    awareness regarding the War of 1812. I had shamefully admitted that
                    I was unaware that Americans were fighting Canadians in the
                    conflict. I have much to learn and have been eagerly reading all the
                    traffic in this group. I am learning something new every day.

                    Thanks,

                    Rich McGuinness
                    5th NY Regiment, 1777

                    --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, <suthren@...> wrote:

                    > Chaps, please. The Baltimore defence was sturdily and courageously
                    mounted,
                    > and the British forces made a military decision to break off the
                    assault
                    > plans when it was evident the cost would exceed the military or
                    political
                    > value of continuing. The loss of Ross was also a factor. But the
                    Brits
                    > weren't 'scared' and didn't 'run away' (like---ah---some other
                    lads did at a
                    > place called Bladensburg), but merely wthdrew. America had an
                    honorable
                    > defence she could be proud of after the shame of letting her
                    capital be
                    > entered, looted and burned. But that defence was honorable because
                    the enemy
                    > was a cool, steady customer who wasn't known for being scared and
                    running;
                    > it wouldn't have meant as much if the Brits were shaky and inept:
                    neither of
                    > which they were. You were kidding, right?
                    >
                    > Vic Suthren
                    > Canada

                    THOUSANDS of
                    > square miles...

                    > > --
                    14/08/06

                  • suthren@magma.ca
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 14, 2006
                      Well said, Rich. You'll not find a finer lot of lads than the 1812
                      group:Yank, Brit or Canadian. Somehow the fact that all our infantry lads
                      are fighting shoulder-to-shoulder against the Taliban in Afghanistan makes
                      me, for one, feel new respect when we exchange volleys in recognition of a
                      proud mutual past....

                      Vic Suthren
                      > I was definitely kidding. I was trying to show the general lack of
                      > awareness regarding the War of 1812. I had shamefully admitted that
                      > I was unaware that Americans were fighting Canadians in the
                      > conflict. I have much to learn and have been eagerly reading all the
                      > traffic in this group. I am learning something new every day.
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      >
                      > Rich McGuinness
                      > 5th NY Regiment, 1777
                      >
                      > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, <suthren@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Chaps, please. The Baltimore defence was sturdily and courageously
                      > mounted,
                      > > and the British forces made a military decision to break off the
                      > assault
                      > > plans when it was evident the cost would exceed the military or
                      > political
                      > > value of continuing. The loss of Ross was also a factor. But the
                      > Brits
                      > > weren't 'scared' and didn't 'run away' (like---ah---some other
                      > lads did at a
                      > > place called Bladensburg), but merely wthdrew. America had an
                      > honorable
                      > > defence she could be proud of after the shame of letting her
                      > capital be
                      > > entered, looted and burned. But that defence was honorable because
                      > the enemy
                      > > was a cool, steady customer who wasn't known for being scared and
                      > running;
                      > > it wouldn't have meant as much if the Brits were shaky and inept:
                      > neither of
                      > > which they were. You were kidding, right?
                      > >
                      > > Vic Suthren
                      > > Canada

                      square miles...

                      > --

                    • LCpl_rm
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 14, 2006
                        Rick,

                        As Admiral Suthren has admirably explained, we try to educate the public and get away from the many misconceptions about the War. (Isn't there a new book by Donald Hickey, "Don't Give up the Ship!: Myths of the War of 1812" out on the market as we speak that does the same thing?!?) And believe me, living in an area where American Civil War reigns supreme, those myths are many. Nothing like wearing a redcoat and being asked if you're Northern or Southern.

                        For a list of units and events in the Chesapeake area, please see www.chesapeake1812.com .

                        Admiral Cochrane may have been the only person on the British side that may have been scared in front of Baltimore. After all, he needed his fleet and the army that it carried to attack and capture New Orleans. Imagine his feelings upon learning that the commander of that Army, Ross, was killed at North Point. It is his response to Ross's successor, Colonel Brooke, that the Navy could not render any assistance for the planned night time assault that causes Brooke to decide to retire.

                        The British Army took two days to retrace the 15 miles back to its point of landing. Hardly not scared nor in haste nor heavily pursued.

                        Cheers,

                        Ed Seufert, Cpl
                        1812 Royal Marines

                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 16, 2006
                          Regular Inf., perhaps, but if you do NY Militia you can get away
                          with a Bess. The militia was uniformed, after all.

                          YH&OS
                          T. Yeatman
                          Fell's Point Rifles
                          > > I'm thinking I need to update the odl Brown Bess, especially if
                          I'm
                          > > going to do regular US Infantry
                          > >
                          > > Thanks for the reply,
                          > >
                          > > Rich McGuinness
                          > > Adj, 5th NY Regiment, 1777
                          > >
                          > > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "LCpl_rm" <LCpl_RM@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Rich,
                          > > >
                          > > > WOW! You mean you never heard that the War was won at Ft
                          McHenry,
                          > > in Baltimore?!?!?
                          > > >
                          > > > Welcome to our world. Since you are not that far above New
                          York,
                          > > once you get up and running you're welcome to come down to the
                          land
                          > > of small 1812 events, Maryland.
                          > > >
                          > > > Cheers,
                          > > >
                          > > > Ed Seufert, Cpl
                          > > > 1812 Royal Marines
                          > > >
                          > > > PS: Besses, especially India Patterns, are appropriate for
                          > > British troops and US Marines.
                          > >

                          > > The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over the fate of
                          hundreds of
                          > square miles: in North America, hundreds determined the fate of
                          THOUSANDS of
                          > square miles...

                          > > --
                          14/08/06