Siege of Fort Erie

  • Jim Hill
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 8, 2006
      Hello Folks

      A couple of answers to a couple of questions.

      -We supply breakfast Saturday and Sunday mornings.

      -You can come before Friday, there are no amenities other than the
      public washrooms will be available.

      -We follow Parks Canada historic weapons standards for our events.

      - If you are looking for information about the siege: go to
      www.oldforterie.com and you will find a public schedule for the
      event.

      For reenactors - click on 'Siege of Fort Erie Participant
      Registration' and at the bottom of the form is 'Download Rules and
      Regulations'. There you will find our 'Participant Guidelines', the
      invitation letter and our Black Powder Rules. We keep the 'Rules
      and Regs' sort of hidden because it freaks out the public who think
      it applies to them - "does my entire family require ear plugs and
      what is a frizzen cover and where can I buy one" (sorry we did not
      recommend a sutler or merchant)\

      - We DO NOT require a registration from every individual. We ask a
      unit commander or unit representative to give us numbers. If you do
      not belong to a unit, you ARE the unit commander and therefore you
      should put your name in the line for unit commander/safety officer
      and you should provide insurance for you and your family. If you do
      not belong to a unit and you do not have insurance you should
      consider joining a unit for group coverage or you should get some
      insurance - it's relatively cheap. If you are adding you and/or
      your family to an existing registration simply indicate that on the
      form - there is room to write quite a bit and we usually read them
      and we will staple your addition to the unit registration. (Some of
      you have very responsible commanders and they send us updates and
      indicate they are updated regsitrations on the form.)

      - UPON arrival at Old Fort Erie, we require every adult to fill out
      a Release Form. For under-age children, we ask their names be
      listed with the parents' names.

      - Once again, there is a free concert in the Fort starting at 7:30
      pm on Friday August 11th.

      - Saturday night last year - the veteran staff, veteran visitors and
      veteran reenactors all indicated that the candle light tour rocked.
      The artillery, the drummer, the musket fire from the walls and
      loopholes - the surgery. This is how we pay for this event and last
      year was a great success thanks to the folks who helped out. We
      will once again, provide powder and bottled water during the tours
      to those who help with the candle light tours.

      - Peter Martin is now the Manager of Old Fort Erie and he is the go-
      to-guy for the siege. I will be skulking about and annoying the
      staff. See you there.

      Jim Hill
    • Jim Hill
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 15, 2006
        Thanks to everyone who participated in the 20th annual Siege of Fort
        Erie.

        Just like the first event, this is your show and hopefully we
        provide the real estate and services to help it along. We know that
        firewood was in demand with cooler temperatures and believe it or
        not we acquired two more cords. The porta-johns were regularly
        stirred by senior staff and finally cleaned early Sunday morning.

        Thanks for the concern about the fire started by the pyrotechnics
        but there is an advantage to stone bastions.

        We hope to find a better set up for the merchants as there is no
        more room along the 'row', their patience and teamwork is impressive.

        Thanks to Doug and Richard for camp lay outs. Thanks to Rob and
        Craig for some impressive engagements.

        All those who helped with the lantern tour, absolutely brilliant.
        Special thanks to: 19th US, 2nd US Arty, 17th US, Glengarries, 1st
        Foot, 41st Foot, IMUC. The crew in and around the surgery -
        fantastic. Sorry if there was confusion over musket ammo - we were
        overwhelmed with the response.

        A thank you to our friends from Malden, George, Meigs and Niagara
        and in particular to the volunteers from York. It's an honour to
        have our neighbouring forts in attendance.

        A big thank you to our American friends and the extra effort they
        make crossing the border; the line up at the Peace Bridge looked
        bloody awful on Sunday afternoon, hope it went well.

        Some excellent suggestions came out of the event and if there are
        more, please pass them along to: pemartin@...

        August 11th and 12th, 2007 will be number 21, please mark it on your
        calendar.

        From: Peter Martin, Sam Stark, Violet Robbins, Melissa Daudelin

        and we should mention Chris Vassallo and Jim Hill
      • Jim Hill
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 20, 2007
          Hello All

          From everyone at Old Fort Erie - Thank you for the hard work and
          support over the siege weekend.

          Please put AUGUST 9TH & 10TH, 2008 on your calendar for the 22nd
          Annual Blow Out. We will also be hosting a Fenian Raid Event on JUNE
          14TH & 15th, 2008.

          We are also looking for unit registrations or unit updates for the
          195th of Queenston Heights 'Forget the Tent Event' on OCTOBER 13TH,
          2007. Information and registration is available at the
          www.visit1812.com/events/NewsandEvents. Unit commanders should read
          the information before registering and individual registrations are
          NOT required. Pack light as we are attempting to find accommodations
          for everyone in the historic sites of the area. If you have
          questions about Queenston, please contact Jim Hill
          jhill@....

          This year, Fort Erie had another increase in reenactor participants
          and visitors. A huge thank you to those dedicated folks who assisted
          with the candle light tours. A record number of people lined up and
          we had a record number of positive comments from visitors.
          Congratulations to the award winners on Sunday and we hope everyone
          had a safe trip home.

          Thanks again
          Peter Martin
        • D & M Zorniak
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 21, 2007
            To All:

            The Western contingent has made it back to Winnipegt and have wonderful
            memories once again of a terrific event.

            Don and I, our son Jeremy and his girl Darcie wish to thank everyone who
            made this event as memorable as ever.

            Jeremy's last time to Fort Erie was in '93 where he was too young to carry a
            musket, that was in the earlier years of the event. He came away this year
            with a huge smile on his face and said that it was like being a part of
            history. Darcie was amazed of what it looked like, felt like, sounded like -
            it was a total experience for her.

            We would like to thank our home away from home - the 41st, and to everyone
            else who kindly offered to adopt us for the event.

            To good friends, a great event and a year of memories until the next one!

            Your humble and sometimes obedient servant

            Marie

          • Ray Hobbs
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 27, 2007
              Hello Jim:
              I do not know if anyone else has had this problem, but the URL listed
              for registration for Oct. 13th cannot be found. That is the message I
              receive when I try to get to it.
              Ray H
              41st

              On 20-Aug-07, at 5:01 PM, Jim Hill wrote:

              > Hello All
              >
              > From everyone at Old Fort Erie - Thank you for the hard work and
              > support over the siege weekend.
              >
              > Please put AUGUST 9TH & 10TH, 2008 on your calendar for the 22nd
              > Annual Blow Out. We will also be hosting a Fenian Raid Event on JUNE
              > 14TH & 15th, 2008.
              >
              > We are also looking for unit registrations or unit updates for the
              > 195th of Queenston Heights 'Forget the Tent Event' on OCTOBER 13TH,
              > 2007. Information and registration is available at the
              > www.visit1812.com/events/NewsandEvents. Unit commanders should read
              > the information before registering and individual registrations are
              > NOT required. Pack light as we are attempting to find accommodations
              > for everyone in the historic sites of the area. If you have
              > questions about Queenston, please contact Jim Hill
              > jhill@....
              >
              > This year, Fort Erie had another increase in reenactor participants
              > and visitors. A huge thank you to those dedicated folks who assisted
              > with the candle light tours. A record number of people lined up and
              > we had a record number of positive comments from visitors.
              > Congratulations to the award winners on Sunday and we hope everyone
              > had a safe trip home.
              >
              > Thanks again
              > Peter Martin

            • Kevin Windsor
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 27, 2007
                Yup that is the wrong url.

                Hard copy here

                http://www.visit1812.com/files/Queenston-Heights-2007.pdf

                online here

                http://www.visit1812.com/events/queenston-registration.html

                KW/89

                _____

                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 3, 2007
                  Hi Ray

                  I don't know if you know me, I am Jim Hill's Assistant, you already
                  let us know that your unit is coming to Queenston. I've emailed your
                  registration form and confirmation number to you. We have a spot
                  saved for the 41st, and are looking forward to seeing you there.

                  Vicki
                  Heritage Dept,
                  Niagara Parks Commission

                  --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Ray Hobbs <ray.hobbs@...> wrote:

                  > Hello Jim:
                  > I do not know if anyone else has had this problem, but the URL
                  listed
                  > for registration for Oct. 13th cannot be found. That is the message
                  > receive when I try to get to it.
                  > Ray H
                  > 41st
                  >
                  > On 20-Aug-07, at 5:01 PM, Jim Hill wrote:
                  >
                  > > Hello All
                  > >
                  > > From everyone at Old Fort Erie - Thank you for the hard work and
                  > > support over the siege weekend.
                  > >
                  > > Please put AUGUST 9TH & 10TH, 2008 on your calendar for the 22nd
                  > > Annual Blow Out. We will also be hosting a Fenian Raid Event on
                  JUNE
                  > > 14TH & 15th, 2008.
                  > >
                  > > We are also looking for unit registrations or unit updates for
                  the
                  > > 195th of Queenston Heights 'Forget the Tent Event' on OCTOBER
                  13TH,
                  > > 2007. Information and registration is available at the
                  > > www.visit1812.com/events/NewsandEvents. Unit commanders should
                  read
                  > > the information before registering and individual registrations
                  are
                  > > NOT required. Pack light as we are attempting to find
                  accommodations
                  > > for everyone in the historic sites of the area. If you have
                  > > questions about Queenston, please contact Jim Hill
                  > > jhill@...
                  > >
                  > > This year, Fort Erie had another increase in reenactor
                  participants
                  > > and visitors. A huge thank you to those dedicated folks who
                  assisted
                  > > with the candle light tours. A record number of people lined up
                  and
                  > > we had a record number of positive comments from visitors.
                  > > Congratulations to the award winners on Sunday and we hope
                  everyone
                  > > had a safe trip home.
                  > >
                  > > Thanks again
                  > > Peter Martin

                • hpgorman
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 12, 2010
                    Hello to all of our WONDERFUL volunteers, reenactors and merchants and sutlers!!

                    I'd like to send out our heartfelt THANKS to all of you who came and made our event a huge success this year! Special thanks to Sioux Spencer, Craig Williams and Richard Feltoe for setting up our camps, and to Peter Twist for helping with our WNED people! I'd also like to send out special thanks to all of you on the line who did not shoot the WNED people, especially when they made themselves the perfect targets!!! Thank you also to the 41st who allowed us to blow you up this year!

                    Looking forward to seeing you all again next year with out BRAND NEW VISITOR CENTRE!!
                    Thanks again!
                    Heather Gorman
                    Manager: Old Fort Erie
                    hgorman@...
                  • a10rca
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 17, 2014

                      Hello Folks

                      We are now approaching 800 registered participants at Old Fort Erie on August 9th and 10th.

                      If your unit is not registered, please go to www.oldforterie.com

                      We would once again ask people to limit canvas as space fills up.   This does not mean you have to sleep in your car or under a blanket on the cold, hard ground.

                      Hope to see everyone July 25th or at Old Fort Erie in August.

                      Jim

                    • a10rca
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 18, 2014

                        Well, now it's getting closer to 900.

                        Tonight we are commemorating the burning of the village of St David's.