Fort Malden Thanks!

  • Susan Spencer
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 7, 2006
      Big thanks to John MacLeod and his crew for making this year's Fort
      Malden Military Through the Ages event a lovely one -- once again! Such
      wonderful surroundings, great staff to look after us, and a good turnout
      of public and re-enactors from time periods ranging from Roman and
      Viking to modern army -- what more could you ask? John somehow even
      managed to intercede with the Weather Gods so that we did not have the
      traditional Friday evening storm. Such service!

      Thanks also to members of the Royal Navy and the 49th out of Fort Erie
      for upholding the honour of the 1812 time period and turning out in fine
      style. While we were still somewhat lean in numbers, we did make a good
      showing and certainly the artillery demonstration was very well received
      by all and sundry (despite that bloody car alarm . . .).

      If you've never been to this event, it's time you tried it out. It's
      definitely well worth supporting, and given how important Fort Malden
      was to the 1812 period, it would certainly be very appropriate for a
      larger contingent of 1812ers to be present. Do think about putting it
      on your calendar for next year.

      Thanks once again to everyone involved -- you did just a super job!

      Looking forward to seeing you all at Erie on the weekend . . .
      -- Sioux
    • Susan Spencer
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 6, 2007
        Tremendous thanks to John MacLeod and all of the staff and volunteers at
        Fort Malden for another brilliant Military Through the Ages event! As
        always, we were treated wonderfully, and despite the inclement Sunday
        weather (wet canvas AGAIN -- *sigh*), a good time was had by all.

        It's always such a neat head trip to be sitting by the river on that
        beautiful site, and have troops of Romans march by counting out in
        Latin, closely followed by a fife and drum corps, then WWI CEF-ers,
        trailed by a bunch of marauding Vikings. Several other time periods,
        including Rev. War, WWII, and present day forces were represented as
        well, to mention just a few. People were demonstrating all sorts of
        things, from chain mail making to vegetable dyeing, all over the site.
        The rate of fire demonstrations were real crowd pleasers, as was the
        Sunday cricket match, where re-enactors and public alike got to try
        their hands at a sport that we simply don't see enough of in the Colonies.

        Thanks to the members of the Royal Navy, the Royal Marines, the US 21st,
        and the staff of Fort Erie who held up our time period's end (forgive me
        if I forgot anyone here -- I didn't get out of the tent much to
        visit!). I think we might actually have outnumbered the Vikings this
        year . . .

        For those of you who didn't make it, you missed an fine event on a
        lovely site. I'd encourage you to put it on your calendars for next
        year if you possibly can (first weekend in August) -- you won't be
        disappointed!

        Cheers for now, and looking forward to seeing you at Erie!
        -- Sioux