Canvas painting

  • Robert Van Patten
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 23, 1999
      I need information on the kind of paint that can be used for painting
      things like gaiters and knapsacks - primarily black - but interested in all
      common colors. Comments?
    • DM Carpenter
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 31, 1999
        Robert Van Patten wrote:

        > From: "Robert Van Patten" <orville@...>
        >
        > I need information on the kind of paint that can be used for painting
        > things like gaiters and knapsacks - primarily black - but interested in all
        > common colors. Comments?

        Robert,

        I paint my Trotters with black latex paint. I get good results. I have
        also tried wiping it lightly with linseed oil after the paint dries.

        Just my exp.

        Dave
      • Robert Van Patten
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 1, 1999
          DM: thanks for your input. The Tandy Leather Co. and Jo-Ann fabrics carry
          fabric paints so you might want to look at them for special needs.

          best regards...
          van

          ----------
          > From: DM Carpenter <viking04@...>
          > To: WarOf1812@onelist.com
          > Subject: Re: [WarOf1812] Canvas painting
          > Date: Sunday, October 31, 1999 6:37 PM
          >
          > From: DM Carpenter <viking04@...>
          >

          > Robert,
          >
          > I paint my Trotters with black latex paint. I get good results. I have
          > also tried wiping it lightly with linseed oil after the paint dries.
          >
          > Just my exp.
          >
          > Dave
          >
          > > The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over the fate of hundreds of
          square miles: in North America, hundreds determined the fate of THOUSANDS
          of square miles...
        • Scott Jeznach
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 1, 1999
            I once was told that linseed oil was the base for most weather-durable paint
            in the 18th and early 19th Century. Tint and color was provided from
            abundant local sources. Hence, barnyard red was linseed oil pigmented with
            animal blood after slaughters on farms and black was linseed oil pigmented
            with soot, lamp-black, etc.

            Scott J.
            Royal Marines

          • NINETY3RD@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 1, 1999
              In a message dated 01/11/1999 12:34:28 PM, scottj@... writes:
              >I once was told that linseed oil was the base for most weather-durable
              >paint
              >in the 18th and early 19th Century. Tint and color was provided from
              >abundant local sources. Hence, barnyard red was linseed oil pigmented
              >with
              >animal blood after slaughters on farms and black was linseed oil pigmented
              >with soot, lamp-black, etc.
              >Scott J.

              Durn! You beat me to it Scott!
              :-)

              93rd SHRoFLHU
            • Gary Stephens
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 3, 1999
                Hello, all,

                Thanks, Larry, for the information regarding fish oil. I had no
                idea regarding that one. Learning curve takes an upward swing. :-) I
                wonder, however, about the blood bit, as blood, when dry, tends to be
                brownish, not scarlet. Perhaps the oil was mixed with true vermillion
                (can't remember for the life of me where that comes from - must go dig out
                my ancient notes)?

                Mighten milk paint serve well on canvas? When the milk paint dries
                it is one of the hardest known paints in existence, extremely durable. Easy
                to obtain and mix these days as Lee Valley carries all the period colours
                in powder form.

                Lorina

                Five Rivers Chapmanry ~ purveyors of quality hand-crafted cooperage & fine
                hand-sewn, embroidered garments http://www.5rivers.org e-mail:
                info@...