New York Militia

  • Richard McGuinness
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 2, 2006
      Hi All,

      I am brand new to the group(and the study of the War of 1812). I am
      currnetly a reenactor in the 5th NY Regiment portraying Bevier's
      Company, 1777. We are out of the Lower Hudson Valley. We have had
      initial discussions on developing an 1812 impression of a New York
      Unit and I have agreed to do the initial research. I am thinking of a
      Militia unit(or regular infantry if any) raised in the area, Orange,
      Ulster or Sullivan Counties. I have come across "Bevier's Battalion"
      from Ulster County including a muster roll of unknown origin. But
      that's it. Can't find anything else within easy reach on any NY
      Militia. Am I going to Albany to read veterans Claims for Awards of
      Soldiers of the War of 1812 and the Payroll Abstracts or is there an
      easier, softer way to get info on NY Militia units? I love the
      research, just have zero time. I've ordered some of Donald Graves'
      works and have picked up some other basic histories to get started.

      Rich M
    • tedyeat
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 9, 2006
        Rich, You might want to look at the below link for the Company of
        Military Historians. What sort of info. are you looking for. Down
        here we do the 5th Md. Militia, which wore similar, if not identical
        uniforms to NY.

        YH&OS
        Ted Yeatman
        Fell's Point Rifles
        1st Md. Rifle BN.

        http://company.military-historians.org/

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Richard McGuinness"
        <chinajoy@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > I am brand new to the group(and the study of the War of 1812). I
        am
        > currnetly a reenactor in the 5th NY Regiment portraying Bevier's
        > Company, 1777. We are out of the Lower Hudson Valley. We have had
        > initial discussions on developing an 1812 impression of a New York
        > Unit and I have agreed to do the initial research. I am thinking
        of a
        > Militia unit(or regular infantry if any) raised in the area,
        Orange,
        > Ulster or Sullivan Counties. I have come across "Bevier's
        Battalion"
        > from Ulster County including a muster roll of unknown origin. But
        > that's it. Can't find anything else within easy reach on any NY
        > Militia. Am I going to Albany to read veterans Claims for Awards
        of
        > Soldiers of the War of 1812 and the Payroll Abstracts or is there
        an
        > easier, softer way to get info on NY Militia units? I love the
        > research, just have zero time. I've ordered some of Donald Graves'
        > works and have picked up some other basic histories to get
        started.
        > Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
        >
        > Rich M

      • Richard McGuinness
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 10, 2006
          Ted,

          Thanks for the advice. I would be interested in why you say that
          your Maryland Militia would be wearing the same clothing as the New
          Yorkers.
          To answer your question of what I'm looking for, I'm first trying
          to identify a unit, preferably of local origin, with a glorious
          history and easily accessable, perfect documentation for clothing
          and accoutrements! That's not too much to ask, is it? All joking
          aside, I need to get up to speed on the basic history, especially
          the Niagra/northern campaigns.
          I had no idea how ignorant I was about this conflict and time
          period. I thought I was smarter than the agerage guy when it comes
          to history. I interpret (on a volunteer basis) a New York Historic
          Site from the American Revolution - Fort Montgomery on the lower
          Hudson River. I can't tell you how many times I am asked what
          Abraham Lincoln did during the Revolution. But here I stand
          embarrassed to say that I did not know that Americans were fighting
          Canadians in the War of 1812. And - that the Canadians were fiercly
          defending their homeland against an invasion by Americans. I feel
          so stupid.
          What I vaguely knew about the War of 1812 was American ships vs.
          British ships; British soldiers burning Washington; and the British
          attacking New Orleans. Nobody told me about Canada. Certainly not to
          discount the other theaters of operation but I think I'm going to
          start with the war on the Canadian-New York border since it's in my
          backyard. I started reading "Dawn's Early Light" but have put it
          down for "Where Right and Glory Lead". I read the first 10 pages and
          I'm hooked. Should probably read "Field of Glory" first.
          I also got some diaries form Old Fort Niagra and have already
          learned that the US 23rd Infantry was raised mainly in NY. Can
          anyone comment on that? Doesn't look like anyone is portraying that
          unit.
          I've also discovered some local "uniformed" Militia from Newburgh,
          NY that was sent "North" to Fort Hamilton. This is interesting
          because the only Fort Hamilton I know is in Brooklyn, NY, not quite
          on the northern frontier with Canada. If anyone knows about a Fort
          Hamilton on the border I'd like to hear about it.
          Once I gain some more information I can ask some intelligent
          questions. By the way, would a Brown Bess from the Revolution still
          see some service in 1812?

          I want to say thanks to Cal Arnt for his kind welcome and invitation
          and to Larry Lozon for his research advice. Looking forward to
          seeing some of you somewhere.

          Rich McGuinness
          Adj, 5th NY Regiment, 1777

          PS I know I'm asking a lot of questions but I am just blown away by
          how much there is to learn about this really interesting time period.

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "tedyeat" <tedyeat@...> wrote:

          > Rich, You might want to look at the below link for the Company of
          > Military Historians. What sort of info. are you looking for. Down
          > here we do the 5th Md. Militia, which wore similar, if not
          identical
          > uniforms to NY.
          >
          > YH&OS
          > Ted Yeatman
          > Fell's Point Rifles
          > 1st Md. Rifle BN.
          >
          > http://company.military-historians.org/
          >
          > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Richard McGuinness"
          > <chinajoy@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi All,
          > >
          > > I am brand new to the group(and the study of the War of 1812). I
          > am
          > > currnetly a reenactor in the 5th NY Regiment portraying Bevier's
          > > Company, 1777. We are out of the Lower Hudson Valley. We have
          had
          > > initial discussions on developing an 1812 impression of a New
          York
          > > Unit and I have agreed to do the initial research. I am thinking
          > of a
          > > Militia unit(or regular infantry if any) raised in the area,
          > Orange,
          > > Ulster or Sullivan Counties. I have come across "Bevier's
          > Battalion"
          > > from Ulster County including a muster roll of unknown origin.
          But
          > > that's it. Can't find anything else within easy reach on any NY
          > > Militia. Am I going to Albany to read veterans Claims for Awards
          > of
          > > Soldiers of the War of 1812 and the Payroll Abstracts or is
          there
          > an
          > > easier, softer way to get info on NY Militia units? I love the
          > > research, just have zero time. I've ordered some of Donald
          Graves'
          > > works and have picked up some other basic histories to get
          > started.
          > > Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
          > >
          > > Rich M

        • LCpl_rm
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 11, 2006
            Rich,

            WOW! You mean you never heard that the War was won at Ft McHenry, in Baltimore?!?!?

            Welcome to our world. Since you are not that far above New York, once you get up and running you're welcome to come down to the land of small 1812 events, Maryland.

            Cheers,

            Ed Seufert, Cpl
            1812 Royal Marines

            PS: Besses, especially India Patterns, are appropriate for British troops and US Marines.
> [...]

            > Orange,
            > > Ulster or Sullivan Counties. I have come across "Bevier's
            > Battalion"
            > > from Ulster County including a muster roll of unknown origin.
            But
            > > that's it. Can't find anything else within easy reach on any NY
            > > Militia. Am I going to Albany to read veterans Claims for Awards
            > of
            > > Soldiers of the War of 1812 and the Payroll Abstracts or is
            there
            > an
            > > easier, softer way to get info on NY Militia units? I love the
            > > research, just have zero time. I've ordered some of Donald
            Graves'
            > > works and have picked up some other basic histories to get
            > started.
            > > Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

          • Ted Yeatman
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 11, 2006
              Maryland and NY both wore the 1809-10 pattern U.S. Infantry uniform
              for their Volunteer line infantry. Look at the below link. You might
              need to cut and paste this. Ted
              http://www.iaw.on.ca/~jsek/5thMaryland.htm

              <chinajoy@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > > Ulster or Sullivan Counties. I have come across "Bevier's
              > > Battalion"
              > > > from Ulster County including a muster roll of unknown origin.
              > But
              > > > that's it. Can't find anything else within easy reach on any
              NY
              > > > Militia. Am I going to Albany to read veterans Claims for
              Awards
              > > of
              > > > Soldiers of the War of 1812 and the Payroll Abstracts or is
              > there
              > > an
              > > > easier, softer way to get info on NY Militia units? I love the
              > > > research, just have zero time. I've ordered some of Donald
              > Graves'
              > > > works and have picked up some other basic histories to get
              > > started.
              > > > Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

            • Richard McGuinness
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 14, 2006
                Ed,

                Not sure if I replied to this or not, so Yeah, i forgot to mention
                that the British lost all hope when they saw our flag was still
                there. They got scared, ran away and surrnedered. That is the the
                way it happened, right?

                I hope to make it to an event in MD some time in the next year. Do
                you have a website with schedule?

                Hope to see you sometime.

                I'm thinking I need to update the odl Brown Bess, especially if I'm
                going to do regular US Infantry

                Thanks for the reply,

                Rich McGuinness
                Adj, 5th NY Regiment, 1777

                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 14, 2006
                  Ted,

                  Thanks for the info. I have a couple of questions, 1)Can you point me
                  to some primary or secondary documentation on this? 2) As far as the
                  infantry structure of the Army, I think I'm seeing three basic units
                  US Infantry
                  State Volunteers
                  State Militia

                  Are volunteers and militia the same? or does it depend on the state.
                  Did militia and/or volunteers usually have uniforms. This was
                  certainly not the case in the Rev War. Appreciate any input.

                  Rich

                • suthren@magma.ca
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 14, 2006
                    Chaps, please. The Baltimore defence was sturdily and courageously mounted,
                    and the British forces made a military decision to break off the assault
                    plans when it was evident the cost would exceed the military or political
                    value of continuing. The loss of Ross was also a factor. But the Brits
                    weren't 'scared' and didn't 'run away' (like---ah---some other lads did at a
                    place called Bladensburg), but merely wthdrew. America had an honorable
                    defence she could be proud of after the shame of letting her capital be
                    entered, looted and burned. But that defence was honorable because the enemy
                    was a cool, steady customer who wasn't known for being scared and running;
                    it wouldn't have meant as much if the Brits were shaky and inept: neither of
                    which they were. You were kidding, right?

                    Vic Suthren
                    Canada
                    > Not sure if I replied to this or not, so Yeah, i forgot to mention
                    > that the British lost all hope when they saw our flag was still
                    > there. They got scared, ran away and surrnedered. That is the the
                    > way it happened, right?
                    >
                    > I hope to make it to an event in MD some time in the next year. Do
                    > you have a website with schedule?
                    >
                    > Hope to see you sometime.
                    >
                    > I'm thinking I need to update the odl Brown Bess, especially if I'm
                    > going to do regular US Infantry
                    >
                    > Thanks for the reply,
                    >
                    > Rich McGuinness
                    > Adj, 5th NY Regiment, 1777
                    >
                    > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "LCpl_rm" <LCpl_RM@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Rich,
                    > >
                    > > WOW! You mean you never heard that the War was won at Ft McHenry,
                    > in Baltimore?!?!?
                    > >
                    > > Welcome to our world. Since you are not that far above New York,
                    > once you get up and running you're welcome to come down to the land
                    > of small 1812 events, Maryland.
                    > >
                    > > Cheers,
                    > >
                    > > Ed Seufert, Cpl
                    > > 1812 Royal Marines
                    > >
                    > > PS: Besses, especially India Patterns, are appropriate for
                    > British troops and US Marines.

                    square miles...

                    > --

                  • Richard McGuinness
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 14, 2006
                      Vic,

                      I was definitely kidding. I was trying to show the general lack of
                      awareness regarding the War of 1812. I had shamefully admitted that
                      I was unaware that Americans were fighting Canadians in the
                      conflict. I have much to learn and have been eagerly reading all the
                      traffic in this group. I am learning something new every day.

                      Thanks,

                      Rich McGuinness
                      5th NY Regiment, 1777

                      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, <suthren@...> wrote:

                      > Chaps, please. The Baltimore defence was sturdily and courageously
                      mounted,
                      > and the British forces made a military decision to break off the
                      assault
                      > plans when it was evident the cost would exceed the military or
                      political
                      > value of continuing. The loss of Ross was also a factor. But the
                      Brits
                      > weren't 'scared' and didn't 'run away' (like---ah---some other
                      lads did at a
                      > place called Bladensburg), but merely wthdrew. America had an
                      honorable
                      > defence she could be proud of after the shame of letting her
                      capital be
                      > entered, looted and burned. But that defence was honorable because
                      the enemy
                      > was a cool, steady customer who wasn't known for being scared and
                      running;
                      > it wouldn't have meant as much if the Brits were shaky and inept:
                      neither of
                      > which they were. You were kidding, right?
                      >
                      > Vic Suthren
                      > Canada

                      THOUSANDS of
                      > square miles...

                      > > --
                      14/08/06

                    • suthren@magma.ca
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 14, 2006
                        Well said, Rich. You'll not find a finer lot of lads than the 1812
                        group:Yank, Brit or Canadian. Somehow the fact that all our infantry lads
                        are fighting shoulder-to-shoulder against the Taliban in Afghanistan makes
                        me, for one, feel new respect when we exchange volleys in recognition of a
                        proud mutual past....

                        Vic Suthren
                        > I was definitely kidding. I was trying to show the general lack of
                        > awareness regarding the War of 1812. I had shamefully admitted that
                        > I was unaware that Americans were fighting Canadians in the
                        > conflict. I have much to learn and have been eagerly reading all the
                        > traffic in this group. I am learning something new every day.
                        >
                        > Thanks,
                        >
                        > Rich McGuinness
                        > 5th NY Regiment, 1777
                        >
                        > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, <suthren@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Chaps, please. The Baltimore defence was sturdily and courageously
                        > mounted,
                        > > and the British forces made a military decision to break off the
                        > assault
                        > > plans when it was evident the cost would exceed the military or
                        > political
                        > > value of continuing. The loss of Ross was also a factor. But the
                        > Brits
                        > > weren't 'scared' and didn't 'run away' (like---ah---some other
                        > lads did at a
                        > > place called Bladensburg), but merely wthdrew. America had an
                        > honorable
                        > > defence she could be proud of after the shame of letting her
                        > capital be
                        > > entered, looted and burned. But that defence was honorable because
                        > the enemy
                        > > was a cool, steady customer who wasn't known for being scared and
                        > running;
                        > > it wouldn't have meant as much if the Brits were shaky and inept:
                        > neither of
                        > > which they were. You were kidding, right?
                        > >
                        > > Vic Suthren
                        > > Canada

                        square miles...

                        > --

                      • LCpl_rm
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 14, 2006
                          Rick,

                          As Admiral Suthren has admirably explained, we try to educate the public and get away from the many misconceptions about the War. (Isn't there a new book by Donald Hickey, "Don't Give up the Ship!: Myths of the War of 1812" out on the market as we speak that does the same thing?!?) And believe me, living in an area where American Civil War reigns supreme, those myths are many. Nothing like wearing a redcoat and being asked if you're Northern or Southern.

                          For a list of units and events in the Chesapeake area, please see www.chesapeake1812.com .

                          Admiral Cochrane may have been the only person on the British side that may have been scared in front of Baltimore. After all, he needed his fleet and the army that it carried to attack and capture New Orleans. Imagine his feelings upon learning that the commander of that Army, Ross, was killed at North Point. It is his response to Ross's successor, Colonel Brooke, that the Navy could not render any assistance for the planned night time assault that causes Brooke to decide to retire.

                          The British Army took two days to retrace the 15 miles back to its point of landing. Hardly not scared nor in haste nor heavily pursued.

                          Cheers,

                          Ed Seufert, Cpl
                          1812 Royal Marines

                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 16, 2006
                            Regular Inf., perhaps, but if you do NY Militia you can get away
                            with a Bess. The militia was uniformed, after all.

                            YH&OS
                            T. Yeatman
                            Fell's Point Rifles
                            > > I'm thinking I need to update the odl Brown Bess, especially if
                            I'm
                            > > going to do regular US Infantry
                            > >
                            > > Thanks for the reply,
                            > >
                            > > Rich McGuinness
                            > > Adj, 5th NY Regiment, 1777
                            > >
                            > > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "LCpl_rm" <LCpl_RM@> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > Rich,
                            > > >
                            > > > WOW! You mean you never heard that the War was won at Ft
                            McHenry,
                            > > in Baltimore?!?!?
                            > > >
                            > > > Welcome to our world. Since you are not that far above New
                            York,
                            > > once you get up and running you're welcome to come down to the
                            land
                            > > of small 1812 events, Maryland.
                            > > >
                            > > > Cheers,
                            > > >
                            > > > Ed Seufert, Cpl
                            > > > 1812 Royal Marines
                            > > >
                            > > > PS: Besses, especially India Patterns, are appropriate for
                            > > British troops and US Marines.
                            > >

                            > > The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over the fate of
                            hundreds of
                            > square miles: in North America, hundreds determined the fate of
                            THOUSANDS of
                            > square miles...

                            > > --
                            14/08/06