Re: 1812 in the South

  • tracyforsyth2001
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 9, 2006
      Situations like this and other authenticity issues make me glad I am a
      spectator of re enactments and not a re enactor. I was under the
      impression that a "HOBBY" was something you were interested in and did
      for fun.

      But many personal life issues IE.parents of children unable to walk
      frowned upon for having their child in a wagon and women of color being
      at an 18th century being a stress issue for some one else..hearing
      protection being an issue and wearing the proper eye glasses and modern
      day coolers to keep medicines frowned upon........and the other issues
      that come to play facial hair etc,make me happy I am not playing this
      game.

      I guess as a hobbyist you want things to be correct but for the average
      spectator who come to an event do you really think they know to even
      check to see if your clothes and tent is hand sewn?
      I admire the time spent by re enactors to study this time period.
      How ever it doesn't seem to be the welcoming hobby that someone would
      feel at ease and comfortable joining.

      How come people can be made to feel self conconcious about their
      personal life style and situations for a hobby??

      Tracy

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "John Ogden" <johnjogden@...> wrote:

      SNIP
      > I feel it might not go well for reasons pertaining to my personal
      life. The
      > domestic partner, whose attendance of an MFA program at UNO
      necessitates
      > this move, is a woman of color, which might not sit well with some
      parties
      > in an ACW encampment. It once caused some stress in regards to an
      18th
      > century event up this way, I'd rather not go looking for grief.
      >
      > Your servant,
      > John Ogden
    • Lalozon
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 10, 2006
        From: "Charlie McCulloh" <moosenmoo35244@...>

        "... All of the research is now on our FREE Yahoo list site in the files
        section..."

        Mr. McCulloh

        Is Your yahoo page accessible to non members of Jackson's Lifeguard?
        If so may we have the URL?

        Yrs.,
        L2
      • Charlie McCulloh
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 10, 2006
          It is a members only moderated site. I am the list owner. If there
          is research you are looking for and we have it on file I will
          approve your application for access.

          Charlie McCulloh

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Lalozon" <lalozon@...> wrote:

          > From: "Charlie McCulloh" <moosenmoo35244@...>
          >
          > "... All of the research is now on our FREE Yahoo list site in the
          files
          > section..."
          >

          > Mr. McCulloh
          >

          > Is Your yahoo page accessible to non members of Jackson's
          Lifeguard?
          > If so may we have the URL?
          >
          > Yrs.,
          > L2

        • Lalozon
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 10, 2006
            From: "Charlie McCulloh" <moosenmoo35244@...>

            It is a members only moderated site.

            Thank you Sir

            It looks like I met some of your members at the Hermitage July 4th

            Yrs.,
            L2
          • lalozon@netrover.com
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 11, 2006
              From: tracyforsyth2001 <tracyforsyth@...>

              ?? I was under the impression that a "HOBBY" was something you were
              interested in and did for fun?
              I guess as a hobbyist you want things to be correct but for the average
              spectator who come to an event do you really think they know to even check to
              see if your clothes and tent is hand sewn?

              Tracy:

              As in any hobby there are rules ? golf, model boats, stamp collecting, etc.

              Some of us in this hobby try to live and act as if it was 1812 ? 1815. If it
              had not been invented, some of us don?t use it ? If one cannot go without
              it for two days ? well!

              I have seen a Japanese woman in an empire dress acting as an 1812 lady, a
              Jamaican man acting as a slave, an American Lady portraying a Free Lady of
              Colour, a Canadian portraying an American soldier and visa versa

              One should research the hobby one is getting into and abide by the rules ? if
              the rules are not to one?s liking there are other hobbies

              Some of us do not do this hobby for spectators but for ourselves.

              I have returned from Tennessee where an American Unit portrays the American
              Army as it was in 1815 and I did hear a spectator say, ?I have never seen the
              historical accuracy portrayed so well? when I approached this spectator they
              told me they had been to so many farby events it was a breath of fresh air to
              see somebody doing it correctly ?

              ...some spectators do notice!

              Yrs

              L2

            • suthren@magma.ca
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 11, 2006
                I would have to say the reasons we do this hobby lie with a desire both to
                recreate the past accurately, and to experience it accurately. This gives
                insight, realization and education as well as fun and adventure in an age
                when so much of the latter is either electronically concocted or too elitist
                to afford. I think many would agree that the more accurate an experience,
                and the portrayals of the people in it, the more satisfying it is. People
                with legtimate reasons for not enjoying the difficulties of past ages
                shouldn't try it---but not unfairly ask the hobbyists to fudge their efforts
                at accuracy because they produce discomfort. Where we all SHOULD speak up is
                when prejudice, bigotry or hatreds rear their heads, because they are the
                inheritances of past ages that we should not perpetuate, even if they, like
                public execuitions and the torture of animals for fun, were part of the age
                we recreate.

                Vic Suthren
                > ?? I was under the impression that a "HOBBY" was something you were
                > interested in and did for fun?
                > I guess as a hobbyist you want things to be correct but for the average
                > spectator who come to an event do you really think they know to even check
                > see if your clothes and tent is hand sewn?
                >

                > Tracy:
                >
                > As in any hobby there are rules ? golf, model boats, stamp collecting,
                etc.

                > Some of us in this hobby try to live and act as if it was 1812 ? 1815. If
                it
                > had not been invented, some of us don?t use it ? If one cannot go without
                > it for two days ? well!
                >

                > I have seen a Japanese woman in an empire dress acting as an 1812 lady, a
                > Jamaican man acting as a slave, an American Lady portraying a Free Lady of
                > Colour, a Canadian portraying an American soldier and visa versa
                >
                > One should research the hobby one is getting into and abide by the rules
                ? if
                > the rules are not to one?s liking there are other hobbies
                >
                > Some of us do not do this hobby for spectators but for ourselves.
                >
                > I have returned from Tennessee where an American Unit portrays the
                American
                > Army as it was in 1815 and I did hear a spectator say, ?I have never seen
                the
                > historical accuracy portrayed so well? when I approached this spectator
                they
                > told me they had been to so many farby events it was a breath of fresh air
                > see somebody doing it correctly ?
                >
                > ...some spectators do notice!
                >

                > Yrs
                >
                > L2