Re: umbrellas...

  • BritcomHMP@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 27, 1998
      In a message dated 11/27/98 10:46:56 AM Central Standard Time,
      fullerfamily@... writes:

      << >4) Exactly what services could such a group provide? Patterns,
      information, assistance in training? Public relations for the time period
      with a view to issues like gun control, or helping recruitment? Organising
      the odd special event?

      All of the above, esp. aids to get a fledgling group going.

      >5) Where the heck is this umbrella group going to come from? The NA-NA?
      Still waiting for answers on how the NA-NA works! If not the NA-NA, then
      where?

      Uh... I'm new to this aspect of the hobby (Nap/1812), so I don't know what
      the answers are that I'm supposed to be waiting for or to know....When in
      doubt, my group falls back on BAR practice on the field until we know or
      agree to something better. >>

      Roger,
      As a new group that has had the full NA treatment, (all the info that was
      forwarded to you from the UK etc.) I think it would be great if you could let
      the others know how this system is working out with the 3rd 95th.
      Obviously for NA units there is a code in place that has to be complied with
      when we are in Europe. An adaptation of this code for the Americas would seem
      to me to be a good starting point ,its been developed over about 30 years and
      has had to deal with some very stringent safety laws in the UK which are no
      dissimilar to Canada.

      As to who votes that is simple, every single member has a vote whether they
      choose to exercise it or not is their concern but there is no block voting.
      New rules etc. are put forward at an AGM and every member is supplied with an
      agenda by his unit CO beforehand. Postal ballots are allowed, and voting is
      secret. This gets over the problems of a 30 man unit only having the same vote
      as 5 man unit, and the other problem of a large unit being able to dominate
      everything. The idea is that the general votes are for things like safety,
      accreditation rules, and general standards , and accepting new units into the
      group etc. Each individual unit remains autonomous in respect of its dress,
      drill, internal structure etc. using solid historical research as its
      foundation. If that sounds OK as a general principal then we are on our way.

    • Roger Fuller
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 27, 1998
        From: BritcomHMP@... <BritcomHMP@...>
        To: WarOf1812@onelist.com <WarOf1812@onelist.com>
        Date: Friday, November 27, 1998 1:43 PM
        Subject: [WarOf1812] Re: umbrellas...

        >From: BritcomHMP@...
        >
        >In a message dated 11/27/98 10:46:56 AM Central Standard Time,
        >fullerfamily@... writes:
        >
        ><< >4) Exactly what services could such a group provide? Patterns,
        > information, assistance in training? Public relations for the time period
        > with a view to issues like gun control, or helping recruitment?
        Organising
        > the odd special event?
        >
        > All of the above, esp. aids to get a fledgling group going.
        >
        > >5) Where the heck is this umbrella group going to come from? The NA-NA?
        > Still waiting for answers on how the NA-NA works! If not the NA-NA, then
        > where?
        >
        > Uh... I'm new to this aspect of the hobby (Nap/1812), so I don't know what
        > the answers are that I'm supposed to be waiting for or to know....When in
        > doubt, my group falls back on BAR practice on the field until we know or
        > agree to something better. >>
        >
        >Roger,
        >As a new group that has had the full NA treatment, (all the info that was
        >forwarded to you from the UK etc.) I think it would be great if you could
        let
        >the others know how this system is working out with the 3rd 95th.
        >Obviously for NA units there is a code in place that has to be complied
        with
        >when we are in Europe. An adaptation of this code for the Americas would
        seem
        >to me to be a good starting point ,its been developed over about 30 years
        and
        >has had to deal with some very stringent safety laws in the UK which are no
        >dissimilar to Canada.

        No problem there, in fact, as I alluded to in the discussion about Sharpe's
        Trifles a while back on this forum, we would still be literally in the dark
        without a clue without the help that you Tim, as well as Benton, Jim
        Yaworsky, Larry Lozon, and Les Handscombe of the UK 95th Rifles Living
        History Society as well as many others in the NA have given us in the way of
        plans, manuals, literature, advice and introductions. You all have saved me
        literally months if not years of research, and I can only hope our little
        unit does justice to your aid in its performance at events in the next few
        years. I frankly do not see what the current flap is all about. The scene is
        new in North America, so adjustments have to be made on both sides of the
        Atlantic as well as on both sides of the borders to make it work.

        BTW at long last we Sweeps are getting together for our first scheduled
        drill this weekend. No newbies, all experienced people, but we still have
        much to learn.

        >As to who votes that is simple, every single member has a vote whether they
        >choose to exercise it or not is their concern but there is no block voting.
        >New rules etc. are put forward at an AGM and every member is supplied with
        an
        >agenda by his unit CO beforehand. Postal ballots are allowed, and voting is
        >secret. This gets over the problems of a 30 man unit only having the same
        vote
        >as 5 man unit, and the other problem of a large unit being able to dominate
        >everything. The idea is that the general votes are for things like safety,
        >accreditation rules, and general standards , and accepting new units into
        the
        >group etc. Each individual unit remains autonomous in respect of its dress,
        >drill, internal structure etc. using solid historical research as its
        >foundation. If that sounds OK as a general principal then we are on our
        way.

        Sounds good to me, but some sort of minimum standard of authenticity would
        be good. You never know when the Royal Polyesters might show up :-) Gad,
        Sir! Guilt by association with such curs....400lb buckskinners with cut-down
        top hats made into shakoes. Grizzly Adams beards. Smoking cigarettes in
        uniform. Hawkens. Lone rangers. Modified ACW uniforms. ( You all have seen
        such horrors, I know you have.)
        No, thanks; we're putting in too much work to want to be tarred with the
        same brush.

        Other than that, I think we all, including Sgt. Curmudgeon myself, will have
        to learn to compromise in order to make any combined Nap/1812 group work.
        And of course, the sandbox gods at events have their say, too.

        >Cheers
        >
        >Tim

        Regards,
        Roger