Re: Lafitte and the boys

  • tedyeat
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 7 11:53 AM
      According to the latest, and best book, THE PIRATES LAFFITE by
      William C. Davis, there is no indication, after searching the
      records, that the Laffites ever held a Cartegena Letter of Marque!

      YH&OS
      Ted Yeatman

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, annbwass@... wrote:

      > In a message dated 7/7/2006 1:45:52 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      > johnjogden@... writes:
      >
      > Lafitte's letters of
      > marque came from Cartagena (modern Colombia), which was then in
      the process
      > of securing its independence from Spain. That independence
      (read "national
      > sovreignty") had not yet been recognized by Spain, Britain nor
      the United
      > States.
      >

      > Thanks. I couldn't remember the particulars. That is why I said
      his letters
      > were "dubious."
      >
      > Ann Wass

    • John Ogden
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 7 2:22 PM
        All-
        Well, all that being established, "pirate" and "piracy" seem to be the
        legally correct technical terms. Even so, I stand by my "pre-emptive
        salvage" comment.

        On 7/7/06, tedyeat <tedyeat@...> wrote:

        > According to the latest, and best book, THE PIRATES LAFFITE by
        > William C. Davis, there is no indication, after searching the
        > records, that the Laffites ever held a Cartegena Letter of Marque!
        >
        > YH&OS
        > Ted Yeatman
        >

        > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com <WarOf1812%40yahoogroups.com>,
        > annbwass@... wrote:
        > >

        > > In a message dated 7/7/2006 1:45:52 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        > > johnjogden@... writes:
        > >
        > > Lafitte's letters of
        > > marque came from Cartagena (modern Colombia), which was then in
        > the process
        > > of securing its independence from Spain. That independence
        > (read "national
        > > sovreignty") had not yet been recognized by Spain, Britain nor
        > the United
        > > States.
        > >

        > > Thanks. I couldn't remember the particulars. That is why I said
        > his letters
        > > were "dubious."
        > >
        > > Ann Wass

        Fortuna audentes favorit.