Re: [WarOf1812] Lafitte and the boys

  • John Ogden
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 7, 2006
      Well, the distinction between piracy and privateering is largely one of
      legal technicality. The authority issuing the letter of marque may not be
      recognized by the international community at large. Lafitte's letters of
      marque came from Cartagena (modern Colombia), which was then in the process
      of securing its independence from Spain. That independence (read "national
      sovreignty") had not yet been recognized by Spain, Britain nor the United
      States. Therefore, there is a case for Lafitte and co'y to be labelled as
      pirates.

      On 7/7/06, annbwass@... <annbwass@...> wrote:

      > In a message dated 7/7/2006 6:47:06 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      >
      > johnjogden@... <johnjogden%40gmail.com> writes:
      >
      > All-
      > Piracy is such an ugly, judgmental word. I prefer to refer to these
      > activities as "pre-emptive salvage operations".
      >
      > Besides, I thought Lafitte was operating under Letters of Marque, albeit
      > rather dubious ones.
      >
      > Ann Wass

      Fortuna audentes favorit.
      ("Fortune favors the bold.")

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 7, 2006
        In a message dated 7/7/2006 1:45:52 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        johnjogden@... writes:

        Lafitte's letters of
        marque came from Cartagena (modern Colombia), which was then in the process
        of securing its independence from Spain. That independence (read "national
        sovreignty") had not yet been recognized by Spain, Britain nor the United
        States.

        Thanks. I couldn't remember the particulars. That is why I said his letters
        were "dubious."

        Ann Wass

      • tedyeat
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 7, 2006
          According to the latest, and best book, THE PIRATES LAFFITE by
          William C. Davis, there is no indication, after searching the
          records, that the Laffites ever held a Cartegena Letter of Marque!

          YH&OS
          Ted Yeatman

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, annbwass@... wrote:

          > In a message dated 7/7/2006 1:45:52 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          > johnjogden@... writes:
          >
          > Lafitte's letters of
          > marque came from Cartagena (modern Colombia), which was then in
          the process
          > of securing its independence from Spain. That independence
          (read "national
          > sovreignty") had not yet been recognized by Spain, Britain nor
          the United
          > States.
          >

          > Thanks. I couldn't remember the particulars. That is why I said
          his letters
          > were "dubious."
          >
          > Ann Wass

        • John Ogden
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 7, 2006
            All-
            Well, all that being established, "pirate" and "piracy" seem to be the
            legally correct technical terms. Even so, I stand by my "pre-emptive
            salvage" comment.

            On 7/7/06, tedyeat <tedyeat@...> wrote:

            > According to the latest, and best book, THE PIRATES LAFFITE by
            > William C. Davis, there is no indication, after searching the
            > records, that the Laffites ever held a Cartegena Letter of Marque!
            >
            > YH&OS
            > Ted Yeatman
            >

            > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com <WarOf1812%40yahoogroups.com>,
            > annbwass@... wrote:
            > >

            > > In a message dated 7/7/2006 1:45:52 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
            > > johnjogden@... writes:
            > >
            > > Lafitte's letters of
            > > marque came from Cartagena (modern Colombia), which was then in
            > the process
            > > of securing its independence from Spain. That independence
            > (read "national
            > > sovreignty") had not yet been recognized by Spain, Britain nor
            > the United
            > > States.
            > >

            > > Thanks. I couldn't remember the particulars. That is why I said
            > his letters
            > > were "dubious."
            > >
            > > Ann Wass

            Fortuna audentes favorit.