Re: 1812 in the South

  • Charlie McCulloh
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 7, 2006
      I'm located down on the coast at Daphne Alabama which is across the
      bay from Mobile, so I'll post a narrative of what I know is going on
      for the AL/MS Gulf Coast area.
      Before I start I will say that yes, Civil War is the big draw down
      here and yes, the majority of the 1812 participants were CW
      reenactors. I have been reenacting for twelve years and doing
      RW/1812 for six. For me personally, I reached an epiphany when at a
      CW reenactment I was camped next to a man who belonged to no unit
      and was dressed as Nathan Bedford Forrest. I acknowledged his
      impression and then he loftily informed me that HE WAS Nathan
      Bedford Forrest. Shortly thereafter I began researching and
      participating in Colonial and 1812 events.
      The most striking thing about the Creek War and the events on the
      coast is that the general public has so little knowledge of these
      events. They have vaguely heard of Horseshoe Bend and Ft. Mims….the
      Battle of New Orleans being the one touch stone that is commonly
      grasped. As a result of a number of factors there is a loose
      informal confederation of 1812 reenactors sprinkled among the
      coastal Gulf States.

      I belong to the "Jackson's Lifeguard" which was a nickname given to
      Captain Deaderick's Company of Artillery of TN militia. We portray
      the unit with the aid of a 3 lb. cannon and limber. The group is
      helmed by Mark Hubbs from the Huntsville AL area and our group can
      muster as many as 12 if the forces of the cosmos are aligned. We
      also do a generic TN Militia impression when needed.

      Some of the events that we try to support every year:

      Chalmette-Battle of NO January
      Battle of Horseshoe Bend March
      Ft. Mims August (and Hell yes it's hot)
      Ft. Jackson November

      I also belong to a group that is in the process of reconfiguring
      here on the Gulf Coast. It is the 4th Foot (the King's Own) and at
      our spring muster held at Ft. Gaines we had 10 members present. The
      group is helmed by Donald Blackmon. Health issues have forced us to
      alter schedules but we hope to be more fully engaged soon. We are
      currently finalizing kits and hope to be ready for the field
      presently. Outstanding issues are our composite order for Shakos and
      belt plates.

      Ove Jensen, who is a Park Ranger at Horseshoe Bend has put together
      a group that regularly does interpretation at HSB and will travel to
      other period NPS sites to lend a hand. They previously did Regular
      (39th INF) but have switched to TN militia for their primary
      impression. This is an excellent group of about 8-10 and they have
      the capability of Artillery also.

      Steve Thomas, who is located in Fairhope AL is a member of Steve
      Abolts 7th Infantry but he also is very involved in helping historic
      sites on the coast do Historical Interpretation. Steve can, and it
      seems on a moments notice, put together programs for sites that
      range from 1812 militia or US Regular to British/Spanish colonial.
      His capabilities also include 1820's-30's US Regulars and Rev War
      period. Steve draws on a loose confederation of reenactors here
      along the coast and we can usually generate 6-12 for site specific
      programs.

      Then, of course, you have the usual suspects; Steve Abolt, Tim
      Pickles, etc. who can probably point you toward even more Southern
      resources. I always make a point of attending anything that Steve A.
      is involved in as his knowledge of the period is always informative.

      Charlie McCulloh
      Jackson's Lifeguard

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "tedyeat" <tedyeat@...> wrote:

      > There is a Tenn. Militia group in the Wetumpka, Al. area that does
      > events in and around Ft. Jackson, AL. Can put you in touch if
      > interested. They do the event at New Orleans too.
      >
      > YH&OS
      > Ted Yeatman
      > Fell's Point Rifles
      > 1st Md. Rifle BN.
      >
      > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "John E. Hesselberg"
      > <bravojeh@> wrote:
      > >
      > > John,
      > > regarding your question as to what units and events there are in
      > the
      > > south. Very little on both counts. January is the month set for
      > the
      > > Battle of New Orleans, and March is an event "Horsehsoe Bend"
      (I
      > > think) Dealing with Jackson's Creek War capmpaign in Alabama.
      > > Due to Katrina things are a bit skewed on the event in NEw
      > Orleans.
      > > We used to have the living history portion on Jean Lafite
      NAtional
      > > Park but with the flooding I have not spoken to or been in
      contact
      > > with any of the park peoiple since right before the storm. The
      > Park
      > > is in the city of Chalmette (Which was under 14 feet of water
      for
      > > long time.)
      > > The actual reenactment of the night battle of the 23rd of
      December
      > > was usually held at the city park in Chalmete (I forget the
      name)
      > > and it was part of the original battle field. The city of
      Chalmete
      > > sponsored the event Reenactors were shuttled from the park to
      the
      > > convention center and were fed brakfast afterwards the
      > > battle/skirmish would occur. Then everyone ws bussed to the park
      > and
      > > the living history event would start.
      > > Horseshoe Bend is a state part and they put on a skirmish event
      > > there. I've never been and the last three times I've planned on
      > > going something always came up.
      > >
      > > Units in the area...There are few as you can immagine due to the
      > > Civil War being the biggest "Thing" around here. (It's still
      being
      > > fought in some places down here)
      > > British units the 4th and the 43rd are somewhat local. The 4th
      > has
      > > members in LA. MS. and AL. and probably only 4 active members
      (I'm
      > > not sure so I don't want to be accused of telling stories)the
      43rd
      > > has members in MS. and Tx. We're five members I'm the so called
      > unit
      > > commander (Probably instigator)
      > > US units, there are few members of the 7th US and 4th US in the
      > area
      > > AL. and MS. I really don't see much of them unless it's at an
      > event
      > > or time line gig.
      > >
      > > I am sponsoring an 1812 event in December near Natchez MS. on
      > > December 3rd of this year. I don't know who or how many folks
      will
      > > show up so far I've onl;y gotten one response. There will be no
      > > uniformed British at that event as the British were still
      sailing
      > > towards New Orleans.
      > >
      > > The Battle of New Orleans I assume will occure in January 2007
      and
      > > your best bet would be to contact the Battle of New Orleans
      group
      > in
      > > yahoo, Steve Abolt, Tim Pickles, or some of your Buds.
      > > I hope this helps!
      > > John H

    • tedyeat
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 7, 2006
        Rumor had it that the LIFE GUARD had folded and gone into Rev. War.
        The web site vanished some time ago. It had some good material on
        it. Glad to hear they are apparently still around.

        As for CW war events, ever walked through an "authentic" camp where
        folks were watching a portable battery powered TV at night? Too
        many "Mastercard Farbs".

        YH&OS
        Ted Yeatman
        Fell's Point Rifles

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Charlie McCulloh"
        <moosenmoo35244@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > area
        > > > AL. and MS. I really don't see much of them unless it's at an
        > > event
        > > > or time line gig.
        > > >
        > > > I am sponsoring an 1812 event in December near Natchez MS. on
        > > > December 3rd of this year. I don't know who or how many folks
        > will
        > > > show up so far I've onl;y gotten one response. There will be
        no
        > > > uniformed British at that event as the British were still
        > sailing
        > > > towards New Orleans.
        > > >
        > > > The Battle of New Orleans I assume will occure in January 2007
        > and
        > > > your best bet would be to contact the Battle of New Orleans
        > group
        > > in
        > > > yahoo, Steve Abolt, Tim Pickles, or some of your Buds.

      • John Ogden
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 7, 2006
          All-
          My thanks for the input. As I've mentioned in previous posts, I am a
          veteran reenactor of the French & Indian War (currently living in Pittsburgh
          PA), and I was mortified at the thought of having to trade in the firelock
          for something that uses a percussion cap if I wanted to keep reenacting.
          While I have nothing against reenacting the War Between the States *per se*,
          I feel it might not go well for reasons pertaining to my personal life. The
          domestic partner, whose attendance of an MFA program at UNO necessitates
          this move, is a woman of color, which might not sit well with some parties
          in an ACW encampment. It once caused some stress in regards to an 18th
          century event up this way, I'd rather not go looking for grief.

          Your servant,
          John Ogden

          --
          Fortuna audentes favorit.
          ("Fortune favors the bold.")

          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 7, 2006
            Dear John

            Though we've not met, may I offer the opinion that if any re-enactors, of
            any era, display bigotry toward your partner because of race, you would do
            us all a favor by having nothing further to do with them. And you might tell
            us who they are so we can avoid them as well.

            Vic Suthren
            Naval Establishment
            Crown Forces North America.
> [...]
            > > > Abolts 7th Infantry but he also is very involved in helping
            > > historic
            > > > sites on the coast do Historical Interpretation. Steve can, and it
            > > > seems on a moments notice, put together programs for sites that
            > > > range from 1812 militia or US Regular to British/Spanish colonial.
            > > > His capabilities also include 1820's-30's US Regulars and Rev War
            > > > period. Steve draws on a loose confederation of reenactors here
            > > > along the coast and we can usually generate 6-12 for site specific
            > > > programs.
            > > >
            > > > Then, of course, you have the usual suspects; Steve Abolt, Tim
            > > > Pickles, etc. who can probably point you toward even more Southern
            > > > resources. I always make a point of attending anything that Steve
            > > A.
            > > > is involved in as his knowledge of the period is always

            square miles...

            > --

          • Dale Kidd
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 7, 2006
              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, <suthren@...> wrote:

              > Dear John
              >
              > Though we've not met, may I offer the opinion that if any re-
              enactors, of
              > any era, display bigotry toward your partner because of race, you
              would do
              > us all a favor by having nothing further to do with them. And you
              might tell
              > us who they are so we can avoid them as well.

              Motion seconded... and I think I can say without fear of reprisal,
              CARRIED.

              ~Dale
            • Colin
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 7, 2006
                Ted,
                I know the feeling. While I try my best to be as authentic as
                possible (one set of modern clothes to the event, my sea bag and pack
                for the event[with only issued period gear] and a modern set of
                clothes for the ride home, living in a canvas tent on straw)I often
                find myself and others like me attacked for one minute detail (button
                size or my 38 waist)arriving with more gear than the Prince Regent or
                with a total disregaurd of military bearing. There is a middle
                ground, but he "supermen" seam to be further away than most of us.

                Colin Murphy
                The USS Constitution 1812 Marine Guard
                & USMCHC
              • Charlie McCulloh
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 8, 2006
                  No, The Jackson's Lifeguard never disbanded. We just were too cheap to
                  pay for the web site host when they suddenly went from "Free" to
                  wanting $200 a year. All of the research is now on our FREE Yahoo list
                  site in the files section.

                  Charlie McCulloh

                  Jackson's Lifeguard
                  1st Continental Artillery
                  Georgia Refugees
                  4th Foot (Kings Own)

                  --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "tedyeat" <tedyeat@...> wrote:

                  > Rumor had it that the LIFE GUARD had folded and gone into Rev. War.
                  > The web site vanished some time ago. It had some good material on
                  > it. Glad to hear they are apparently still around.
                  >
                  > As for CW war events, ever walked through an "authentic" camp where
                  > folks were watching a portable battery powered TV at night? Too
                  > many "Mastercard Farbs".
                  >
                  > YH&OS
                  > Ted Yeatman
                  > Fell's Point Rifles

                • tracyforsyth2001
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 9, 2006
                    Situations like this and other authenticity issues make me glad I am a
                    spectator of re enactments and not a re enactor. I was under the
                    impression that a "HOBBY" was something you were interested in and did
                    for fun.

                    But many personal life issues IE.parents of children unable to walk
                    frowned upon for having their child in a wagon and women of color being
                    at an 18th century being a stress issue for some one else..hearing
                    protection being an issue and wearing the proper eye glasses and modern
                    day coolers to keep medicines frowned upon........and the other issues
                    that come to play facial hair etc,make me happy I am not playing this
                    game.

                    I guess as a hobbyist you want things to be correct but for the average
                    spectator who come to an event do you really think they know to even
                    check to see if your clothes and tent is hand sewn?
                    I admire the time spent by re enactors to study this time period.
                    How ever it doesn't seem to be the welcoming hobby that someone would
                    feel at ease and comfortable joining.

                    How come people can be made to feel self conconcious about their
                    personal life style and situations for a hobby??

                    Tracy

                    --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "John Ogden" <johnjogden@...> wrote:

                    SNIP
                    > I feel it might not go well for reasons pertaining to my personal
                    life. The
                    > domestic partner, whose attendance of an MFA program at UNO
                    necessitates
                    > this move, is a woman of color, which might not sit well with some
                    parties
                    > in an ACW encampment. It once caused some stress in regards to an
                    18th
                    > century event up this way, I'd rather not go looking for grief.
                    >
                    > Your servant,
                    > John Ogden
                  • Lalozon
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 10, 2006
                      From: "Charlie McCulloh" <moosenmoo35244@...>

                      "... All of the research is now on our FREE Yahoo list site in the files
                      section..."

                      Mr. McCulloh

                      Is Your yahoo page accessible to non members of Jackson's Lifeguard?
                      If so may we have the URL?

                      Yrs.,
                      L2
                    • Charlie McCulloh
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 10, 2006
                        It is a members only moderated site. I am the list owner. If there
                        is research you are looking for and we have it on file I will
                        approve your application for access.

                        Charlie McCulloh

                        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Lalozon" <lalozon@...> wrote:

                        > From: "Charlie McCulloh" <moosenmoo35244@...>
                        >
                        > "... All of the research is now on our FREE Yahoo list site in the
                        files
                        > section..."
                        >

                        > Mr. McCulloh
                        >

                        > Is Your yahoo page accessible to non members of Jackson's
                        Lifeguard?
                        > If so may we have the URL?
                        >
                        > Yrs.,
                        > L2

                      • Lalozon
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 10, 2006
                          From: "Charlie McCulloh" <moosenmoo35244@...>

                          It is a members only moderated site.

                          Thank you Sir

                          It looks like I met some of your members at the Hermitage July 4th

                          Yrs.,
                          L2
                        • lalozon@netrover.com
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 11, 2006
                            From: tracyforsyth2001 <tracyforsyth@...>

                            ?? I was under the impression that a "HOBBY" was something you were
                            interested in and did for fun?
                            I guess as a hobbyist you want things to be correct but for the average
                            spectator who come to an event do you really think they know to even check to
                            see if your clothes and tent is hand sewn?

                            Tracy:

                            As in any hobby there are rules ? golf, model boats, stamp collecting, etc.

                            Some of us in this hobby try to live and act as if it was 1812 ? 1815. If it
                            had not been invented, some of us don?t use it ? If one cannot go without
                            it for two days ? well!

                            I have seen a Japanese woman in an empire dress acting as an 1812 lady, a
                            Jamaican man acting as a slave, an American Lady portraying a Free Lady of
                            Colour, a Canadian portraying an American soldier and visa versa

                            One should research the hobby one is getting into and abide by the rules ? if
                            the rules are not to one?s liking there are other hobbies

                            Some of us do not do this hobby for spectators but for ourselves.

                            I have returned from Tennessee where an American Unit portrays the American
                            Army as it was in 1815 and I did hear a spectator say, ?I have never seen the
                            historical accuracy portrayed so well? when I approached this spectator they
                            told me they had been to so many farby events it was a breath of fresh air to
                            see somebody doing it correctly ?

                            ...some spectators do notice!

                            Yrs

                            L2

                          • suthren@magma.ca
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jul 11, 2006
                              I would have to say the reasons we do this hobby lie with a desire both to
                              recreate the past accurately, and to experience it accurately. This gives
                              insight, realization and education as well as fun and adventure in an age
                              when so much of the latter is either electronically concocted or too elitist
                              to afford. I think many would agree that the more accurate an experience,
                              and the portrayals of the people in it, the more satisfying it is. People
                              with legtimate reasons for not enjoying the difficulties of past ages
                              shouldn't try it---but not unfairly ask the hobbyists to fudge their efforts
                              at accuracy because they produce discomfort. Where we all SHOULD speak up is
                              when prejudice, bigotry or hatreds rear their heads, because they are the
                              inheritances of past ages that we should not perpetuate, even if they, like
                              public execuitions and the torture of animals for fun, were part of the age
                              we recreate.

                              Vic Suthren
                              > ?? I was under the impression that a "HOBBY" was something you were
                              > interested in and did for fun?
                              > I guess as a hobbyist you want things to be correct but for the average
                              > spectator who come to an event do you really think they know to even check
                              > see if your clothes and tent is hand sewn?
                              >

                              > Tracy:
                              >
                              > As in any hobby there are rules ? golf, model boats, stamp collecting,
                              etc.

                              > Some of us in this hobby try to live and act as if it was 1812 ? 1815. If
                              it
                              > had not been invented, some of us don?t use it ? If one cannot go without
                              > it for two days ? well!
                              >

                              > I have seen a Japanese woman in an empire dress acting as an 1812 lady, a
                              > Jamaican man acting as a slave, an American Lady portraying a Free Lady of
                              > Colour, a Canadian portraying an American soldier and visa versa
                              >
                              > One should research the hobby one is getting into and abide by the rules
                              ? if
                              > the rules are not to one?s liking there are other hobbies
                              >
                              > Some of us do not do this hobby for spectators but for ourselves.
                              >
                              > I have returned from Tennessee where an American Unit portrays the
                              American
                              > Army as it was in 1815 and I did hear a spectator say, ?I have never seen
                              the
                              > historical accuracy portrayed so well? when I approached this spectator
                              they
                              > told me they had been to so many farby events it was a breath of fresh air
                              > see somebody doing it correctly ?
                              >
                              > ...some spectators do notice!
                              >

                              > Yrs
                              >
                              > L2