Re: [WarOf1812] Re: 1812 in the South

  • LCpl_rm
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 6, 2006
      Georgia in January! Capture of St Mary's and the occupation of Cumberland Island.

      Ed Seufert, Cpl
      1812 Royal Marines
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 7, 2006
        Colin,

        You might get your wish. There is a fine gun crew of Baratarians in New
        Orleans who turn out each January for the Battle of New Orleans.
        Apparently, New Orleans is still a nest of pirates ready to defend their
        liberty. They even have their own Yahoo group.

        Gord Deans,
        HMS Charwell Landing Party.

        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 7, 2006
          I'm located down on the coast at Daphne Alabama which is across the
          bay from Mobile, so I'll post a narrative of what I know is going on
          for the AL/MS Gulf Coast area.
          Before I start I will say that yes, Civil War is the big draw down
          here and yes, the majority of the 1812 participants were CW
          reenactors. I have been reenacting for twelve years and doing
          RW/1812 for six. For me personally, I reached an epiphany when at a
          CW reenactment I was camped next to a man who belonged to no unit
          and was dressed as Nathan Bedford Forrest. I acknowledged his
          impression and then he loftily informed me that HE WAS Nathan
          Bedford Forrest. Shortly thereafter I began researching and
          participating in Colonial and 1812 events.
          The most striking thing about the Creek War and the events on the
          coast is that the general public has so little knowledge of these
          events. They have vaguely heard of Horseshoe Bend and Ft. Mims….the
          Battle of New Orleans being the one touch stone that is commonly
          grasped. As a result of a number of factors there is a loose
          informal confederation of 1812 reenactors sprinkled among the
          coastal Gulf States.

          I belong to the "Jackson's Lifeguard" which was a nickname given to
          Captain Deaderick's Company of Artillery of TN militia. We portray
          the unit with the aid of a 3 lb. cannon and limber. The group is
          helmed by Mark Hubbs from the Huntsville AL area and our group can
          muster as many as 12 if the forces of the cosmos are aligned. We
          also do a generic TN Militia impression when needed.

          Some of the events that we try to support every year:

          Chalmette-Battle of NO January
          Battle of Horseshoe Bend March
          Ft. Mims August (and Hell yes it's hot)
          Ft. Jackson November

          I also belong to a group that is in the process of reconfiguring
          here on the Gulf Coast. It is the 4th Foot (the King's Own) and at
          our spring muster held at Ft. Gaines we had 10 members present. The
          group is helmed by Donald Blackmon. Health issues have forced us to
          alter schedules but we hope to be more fully engaged soon. We are
          currently finalizing kits and hope to be ready for the field
          presently. Outstanding issues are our composite order for Shakos and
          belt plates.

          Ove Jensen, who is a Park Ranger at Horseshoe Bend has put together
          a group that regularly does interpretation at HSB and will travel to
          other period NPS sites to lend a hand. They previously did Regular
          (39th INF) but have switched to TN militia for their primary
          impression. This is an excellent group of about 8-10 and they have
          the capability of Artillery also.

          Steve Thomas, who is located in Fairhope AL is a member of Steve
          Abolts 7th Infantry but he also is very involved in helping historic
          sites on the coast do Historical Interpretation. Steve can, and it
          seems on a moments notice, put together programs for sites that
          range from 1812 militia or US Regular to British/Spanish colonial.
          His capabilities also include 1820's-30's US Regulars and Rev War
          period. Steve draws on a loose confederation of reenactors here
          along the coast and we can usually generate 6-12 for site specific
          programs.

          Then, of course, you have the usual suspects; Steve Abolt, Tim
          Pickles, etc. who can probably point you toward even more Southern
          resources. I always make a point of attending anything that Steve A.
          is involved in as his knowledge of the period is always informative.

          Charlie McCulloh
          Jackson's Lifeguard

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "tedyeat" <tedyeat@...> wrote:

          > There is a Tenn. Militia group in the Wetumpka, Al. area that does
          > events in and around Ft. Jackson, AL. Can put you in touch if
          > interested. They do the event at New Orleans too.
          >
          > YH&OS
          > Ted Yeatman
          > Fell's Point Rifles
          > 1st Md. Rifle BN.
          >
          > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "John E. Hesselberg"
          > <bravojeh@> wrote:
          > >
          > > John,
          > > regarding your question as to what units and events there are in
          > the
          > > south. Very little on both counts. January is the month set for
          > the
          > > Battle of New Orleans, and March is an event "Horsehsoe Bend"
          (I
          > > think) Dealing with Jackson's Creek War capmpaign in Alabama.
          > > Due to Katrina things are a bit skewed on the event in NEw
          > Orleans.
          > > We used to have the living history portion on Jean Lafite
          NAtional
          > > Park but with the flooding I have not spoken to or been in
          contact
          > > with any of the park peoiple since right before the storm. The
          > Park
          > > is in the city of Chalmette (Which was under 14 feet of water
          for
          > > long time.)
          > > The actual reenactment of the night battle of the 23rd of
          December
          > > was usually held at the city park in Chalmete (I forget the
          name)
          > > and it was part of the original battle field. The city of
          Chalmete
          > > sponsored the event Reenactors were shuttled from the park to
          the
          > > convention center and were fed brakfast afterwards the
          > > battle/skirmish would occur. Then everyone ws bussed to the park
          > and
          > > the living history event would start.
          > > Horseshoe Bend is a state part and they put on a skirmish event
          > > there. I've never been and the last three times I've planned on
          > > going something always came up.
          > >
          > > Units in the area...There are few as you can immagine due to the
          > > Civil War being the biggest "Thing" around here. (It's still
          being
          > > fought in some places down here)
          > > British units the 4th and the 43rd are somewhat local. The 4th
          > has
          > > members in LA. MS. and AL. and probably only 4 active members
          (I'm
          > > not sure so I don't want to be accused of telling stories)the
          43rd
          > > has members in MS. and Tx. We're five members I'm the so called
          > unit
          > > commander (Probably instigator)
          > > US units, there are few members of the 7th US and 4th US in the
          > area
          > > AL. and MS. I really don't see much of them unless it's at an
          > event
          > > or time line gig.
          > >
          > > I am sponsoring an 1812 event in December near Natchez MS. on
          > > December 3rd of this year. I don't know who or how many folks
          will
          > > show up so far I've onl;y gotten one response. There will be no
          > > uniformed British at that event as the British were still
          sailing
          > > towards New Orleans.
          > >
          > > The Battle of New Orleans I assume will occure in January 2007
          and
          > > your best bet would be to contact the Battle of New Orleans
          group
          > in
          > > yahoo, Steve Abolt, Tim Pickles, or some of your Buds.
          > > I hope this helps!
          > > John H

        • tedyeat
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 7, 2006
            Rumor had it that the LIFE GUARD had folded and gone into Rev. War.
            The web site vanished some time ago. It had some good material on
            it. Glad to hear they are apparently still around.

            As for CW war events, ever walked through an "authentic" camp where
            folks were watching a portable battery powered TV at night? Too
            many "Mastercard Farbs".

            YH&OS
            Ted Yeatman
            Fell's Point Rifles

            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Charlie McCulloh"
            <moosenmoo35244@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > area
            > > > AL. and MS. I really don't see much of them unless it's at an
            > > event
            > > > or time line gig.
            > > >
            > > > I am sponsoring an 1812 event in December near Natchez MS. on
            > > > December 3rd of this year. I don't know who or how many folks
            > will
            > > > show up so far I've onl;y gotten one response. There will be
            no
            > > > uniformed British at that event as the British were still
            > sailing
            > > > towards New Orleans.
            > > >
            > > > The Battle of New Orleans I assume will occure in January 2007
            > and
            > > > your best bet would be to contact the Battle of New Orleans
            > group
            > > in
            > > > yahoo, Steve Abolt, Tim Pickles, or some of your Buds.

          • John Ogden
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 7, 2006
              All-
              My thanks for the input. As I've mentioned in previous posts, I am a
              veteran reenactor of the French & Indian War (currently living in Pittsburgh
              PA), and I was mortified at the thought of having to trade in the firelock
              for something that uses a percussion cap if I wanted to keep reenacting.
              While I have nothing against reenacting the War Between the States *per se*,
              I feel it might not go well for reasons pertaining to my personal life. The
              domestic partner, whose attendance of an MFA program at UNO necessitates
              this move, is a woman of color, which might not sit well with some parties
              in an ACW encampment. It once caused some stress in regards to an 18th
              century event up this way, I'd rather not go looking for grief.

              Your servant,
              John Ogden

              --
              Fortuna audentes favorit.
              ("Fortune favors the bold.")

              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 7, 2006
                Dear John

                Though we've not met, may I offer the opinion that if any re-enactors, of
                any era, display bigotry toward your partner because of race, you would do
                us all a favor by having nothing further to do with them. And you might tell
                us who they are so we can avoid them as well.

                Vic Suthren
                Naval Establishment
                Crown Forces North America.
> [...]
                > > > Abolts 7th Infantry but he also is very involved in helping
                > > historic
                > > > sites on the coast do Historical Interpretation. Steve can, and it
                > > > seems on a moments notice, put together programs for sites that
                > > > range from 1812 militia or US Regular to British/Spanish colonial.
                > > > His capabilities also include 1820's-30's US Regulars and Rev War
                > > > period. Steve draws on a loose confederation of reenactors here
                > > > along the coast and we can usually generate 6-12 for site specific
                > > > programs.
                > > >
                > > > Then, of course, you have the usual suspects; Steve Abolt, Tim
                > > > Pickles, etc. who can probably point you toward even more Southern
                > > > resources. I always make a point of attending anything that Steve
                > > A.
                > > > is involved in as his knowledge of the period is always

                square miles...

                > --

              • Dale Kidd
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 7, 2006
                  --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, <suthren@...> wrote:

                  > Dear John
                  >
                  > Though we've not met, may I offer the opinion that if any re-
                  enactors, of
                  > any era, display bigotry toward your partner because of race, you
                  would do
                  > us all a favor by having nothing further to do with them. And you
                  might tell
                  > us who they are so we can avoid them as well.

                  Motion seconded... and I think I can say without fear of reprisal,
                  CARRIED.

                  ~Dale
                • Colin
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 7, 2006
                    Ted,
                    I know the feeling. While I try my best to be as authentic as
                    possible (one set of modern clothes to the event, my sea bag and pack
                    for the event[with only issued period gear] and a modern set of
                    clothes for the ride home, living in a canvas tent on straw)I often
                    find myself and others like me attacked for one minute detail (button
                    size or my 38 waist)arriving with more gear than the Prince Regent or
                    with a total disregaurd of military bearing. There is a middle
                    ground, but he "supermen" seam to be further away than most of us.

                    Colin Murphy
                    The USS Constitution 1812 Marine Guard
                    & USMCHC
                  • Charlie McCulloh
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 8, 2006
                      No, The Jackson's Lifeguard never disbanded. We just were too cheap to
                      pay for the web site host when they suddenly went from "Free" to
                      wanting $200 a year. All of the research is now on our FREE Yahoo list
                      site in the files section.

                      Charlie McCulloh

                      Jackson's Lifeguard
                      1st Continental Artillery
                      Georgia Refugees
                      4th Foot (Kings Own)

                      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "tedyeat" <tedyeat@...> wrote:

                      > Rumor had it that the LIFE GUARD had folded and gone into Rev. War.
                      > The web site vanished some time ago. It had some good material on
                      > it. Glad to hear they are apparently still around.
                      >
                      > As for CW war events, ever walked through an "authentic" camp where
                      > folks were watching a portable battery powered TV at night? Too
                      > many "Mastercard Farbs".
                      >
                      > YH&OS
                      > Ted Yeatman
                      > Fell's Point Rifles

                    • tracyforsyth2001
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 9, 2006
                        Situations like this and other authenticity issues make me glad I am a
                        spectator of re enactments and not a re enactor. I was under the
                        impression that a "HOBBY" was something you were interested in and did
                        for fun.

                        But many personal life issues IE.parents of children unable to walk
                        frowned upon for having their child in a wagon and women of color being
                        at an 18th century being a stress issue for some one else..hearing
                        protection being an issue and wearing the proper eye glasses and modern
                        day coolers to keep medicines frowned upon........and the other issues
                        that come to play facial hair etc,make me happy I am not playing this
                        game.

                        I guess as a hobbyist you want things to be correct but for the average
                        spectator who come to an event do you really think they know to even
                        check to see if your clothes and tent is hand sewn?
                        I admire the time spent by re enactors to study this time period.
                        How ever it doesn't seem to be the welcoming hobby that someone would
                        feel at ease and comfortable joining.

                        How come people can be made to feel self conconcious about their
                        personal life style and situations for a hobby??

                        Tracy

                        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "John Ogden" <johnjogden@...> wrote:

                        SNIP
                        > I feel it might not go well for reasons pertaining to my personal
                        life. The
                        > domestic partner, whose attendance of an MFA program at UNO
                        necessitates
                        > this move, is a woman of color, which might not sit well with some
                        parties
                        > in an ACW encampment. It once caused some stress in regards to an
                        18th
                        > century event up this way, I'd rather not go looking for grief.
                        >
                        > Your servant,
                        > John Ogden
                      • Lalozon
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 10, 2006
                          From: "Charlie McCulloh" <moosenmoo35244@...>

                          "... All of the research is now on our FREE Yahoo list site in the files
                          section..."

                          Mr. McCulloh

                          Is Your yahoo page accessible to non members of Jackson's Lifeguard?
                          If so may we have the URL?

                          Yrs.,
                          L2
                        • Charlie McCulloh
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 10, 2006
                            It is a members only moderated site. I am the list owner. If there
                            is research you are looking for and we have it on file I will
                            approve your application for access.

                            Charlie McCulloh

                            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Lalozon" <lalozon@...> wrote:

                            > From: "Charlie McCulloh" <moosenmoo35244@...>
                            >
                            > "... All of the research is now on our FREE Yahoo list site in the
                            files
                            > section..."
                            >

                            > Mr. McCulloh
                            >

                            > Is Your yahoo page accessible to non members of Jackson's
                            Lifeguard?
                            > If so may we have the URL?
                            >
                            > Yrs.,
                            > L2

                          • Lalozon
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jul 10, 2006
                              From: "Charlie McCulloh" <moosenmoo35244@...>

                              It is a members only moderated site.

                              Thank you Sir

                              It looks like I met some of your members at the Hermitage July 4th

                              Yrs.,
                              L2
                            • lalozon@netrover.com
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jul 11, 2006
                                From: tracyforsyth2001 <tracyforsyth@...>

                                ?? I was under the impression that a "HOBBY" was something you were
                                interested in and did for fun?
                                I guess as a hobbyist you want things to be correct but for the average
                                spectator who come to an event do you really think they know to even check to
                                see if your clothes and tent is hand sewn?

                                Tracy:

                                As in any hobby there are rules ? golf, model boats, stamp collecting, etc.

                                Some of us in this hobby try to live and act as if it was 1812 ? 1815. If it
                                had not been invented, some of us don?t use it ? If one cannot go without
                                it for two days ? well!

                                I have seen a Japanese woman in an empire dress acting as an 1812 lady, a
                                Jamaican man acting as a slave, an American Lady portraying a Free Lady of
                                Colour, a Canadian portraying an American soldier and visa versa

                                One should research the hobby one is getting into and abide by the rules ? if
                                the rules are not to one?s liking there are other hobbies

                                Some of us do not do this hobby for spectators but for ourselves.

                                I have returned from Tennessee where an American Unit portrays the American
                                Army as it was in 1815 and I did hear a spectator say, ?I have never seen the
                                historical accuracy portrayed so well? when I approached this spectator they
                                told me they had been to so many farby events it was a breath of fresh air to
                                see somebody doing it correctly ?

                                ...some spectators do notice!

                                Yrs

                                L2

                              • suthren@magma.ca
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jul 11, 2006
                                  I would have to say the reasons we do this hobby lie with a desire both to
                                  recreate the past accurately, and to experience it accurately. This gives
                                  insight, realization and education as well as fun and adventure in an age
                                  when so much of the latter is either electronically concocted or too elitist
                                  to afford. I think many would agree that the more accurate an experience,
                                  and the portrayals of the people in it, the more satisfying it is. People
                                  with legtimate reasons for not enjoying the difficulties of past ages
                                  shouldn't try it---but not unfairly ask the hobbyists to fudge their efforts
                                  at accuracy because they produce discomfort. Where we all SHOULD speak up is
                                  when prejudice, bigotry or hatreds rear their heads, because they are the
                                  inheritances of past ages that we should not perpetuate, even if they, like
                                  public execuitions and the torture of animals for fun, were part of the age
                                  we recreate.

                                  Vic Suthren
                                  > ?? I was under the impression that a "HOBBY" was something you were
                                  > interested in and did for fun?
                                  > I guess as a hobbyist you want things to be correct but for the average
                                  > spectator who come to an event do you really think they know to even check
                                  > see if your clothes and tent is hand sewn?
                                  >

                                  > Tracy:
                                  >
                                  > As in any hobby there are rules ? golf, model boats, stamp collecting,
                                  etc.

                                  > Some of us in this hobby try to live and act as if it was 1812 ? 1815. If
                                  it
                                  > had not been invented, some of us don?t use it ? If one cannot go without
                                  > it for two days ? well!
                                  >

                                  > I have seen a Japanese woman in an empire dress acting as an 1812 lady, a
                                  > Jamaican man acting as a slave, an American Lady portraying a Free Lady of
                                  > Colour, a Canadian portraying an American soldier and visa versa
                                  >
                                  > One should research the hobby one is getting into and abide by the rules
                                  ? if
                                  > the rules are not to one?s liking there are other hobbies
                                  >
                                  > Some of us do not do this hobby for spectators but for ourselves.
                                  >
                                  > I have returned from Tennessee where an American Unit portrays the
                                  American
                                  > Army as it was in 1815 and I did hear a spectator say, ?I have never seen
                                  the
                                  > historical accuracy portrayed so well? when I approached this spectator
                                  they
                                  > told me they had been to so many farby events it was a breath of fresh air
                                  > see somebody doing it correctly ?
                                  >
                                  > ...some spectators do notice!
                                  >

                                  > Yrs
                                  >
                                  > L2