Re: 1812 in the South

  • tedyeat
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 6, 2006
      There is a Tenn. Militia group in the Wetumpka, Al. area that does
      events in and around Ft. Jackson, AL. Can put you in touch if
      interested. They do the event at New Orleans too.

      YH&OS
      Ted Yeatman
      Fell's Point Rifles
      1st Md. Rifle BN.

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "John E. Hesselberg"
      <bravojeh@...> wrote:

      > John,
      > regarding your question as to what units and events there are in
      the
      > south. Very little on both counts. January is the month set for
      the
      > Battle of New Orleans, and March is an event "Horsehsoe Bend" (I
      > think) Dealing with Jackson's Creek War capmpaign in Alabama.
      > Due to Katrina things are a bit skewed on the event in NEw
      Orleans.
      > We used to have the living history portion on Jean Lafite NAtional
      > Park but with the flooding I have not spoken to or been in contact
      > with any of the park peoiple since right before the storm. The
      Park
      > is in the city of Chalmette (Which was under 14 feet of water for
      > long time.)
      > The actual reenactment of the night battle of the 23rd of December
      > was usually held at the city park in Chalmete (I forget the name)
      > and it was part of the original battle field. The city of Chalmete
      > sponsored the event Reenactors were shuttled from the park to the
      > convention center and were fed brakfast afterwards the
      > battle/skirmish would occur. Then everyone ws bussed to the park
      and
      > the living history event would start.
      > Horseshoe Bend is a state part and they put on a skirmish event
      > there. I've never been and the last three times I've planned on
      > going something always came up.
      >
      > Units in the area...There are few as you can immagine due to the
      > Civil War being the biggest "Thing" around here. (It's still being
      > fought in some places down here)
      > British units the 4th and the 43rd are somewhat local. The 4th
      has
      > members in LA. MS. and AL. and probably only 4 active members (I'm
      > not sure so I don't want to be accused of telling stories)the 43rd
      > has members in MS. and Tx. We're five members I'm the so called
      unit
      > commander (Probably instigator)
      > US units, there are few members of the 7th US and 4th US in the
      area
      > AL. and MS. I really don't see much of them unless it's at an
      event
      > or time line gig.
      >
      > I am sponsoring an 1812 event in December near Natchez MS. on
      > December 3rd of this year. I don't know who or how many folks will
      > show up so far I've onl;y gotten one response. There will be no
      > uniformed British at that event as the British were still sailing
      > towards New Orleans.
      >
      > The Battle of New Orleans I assume will occure in January 2007 and
      > your best bet would be to contact the Battle of New Orleans group
      in
      > yahoo, Steve Abolt, Tim Pickles, or some of your Buds.
      > I hope this helps!
      > John H
      >

      > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "John Ogden" <johnjogden@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > All-
      > > As I posted a couple of months ago, it is looking
      > increasingly likely
      > > that I will be relocating to New Orleans in the winter/spring of
      > 2007.
      > > Since then I have been in contact with some reenactors down that
      > way who
      > > have been wonderfully helpful in explaining my local options in
      > regards to a
      > > regiment. That being said, I thought I should ask the general
      > readership
      > > what events there are down that way other than the Battle of New
      > Orleans
      > > (Mobile? Pensacola? Anything related to Jackson's campaign
> [...]
    • tedyeat
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 6, 2006

        <bravojeh@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > I hope this helps!
        > John H
        >

        > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "John Ogden" <johnjogden@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > All-
        > > As I posted a couple of months ago, it is looking
        > increasingly likely
        > > that I will be relocating to New Orleans in the winter/spring of
        > 2007.
        > > Since then I have been in contact with some reenactors down that
        > way who
        > > have been wonderfully helpful in explaining my local options in
        > regards to a
        > > regiment. That being said, I thought I should ask the general
        > readership
        > > what events there are down that way other than the Battle of New
        > Orleans
        > > (Mobile? Pensacola? Anything related to Jackson's campaign

      • Colin
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 6, 2006
          Just a hope for the future (which I have a lot of as the Bicentennial
          draws near).
          A reenactment of the joint US Marine, Navy and Army raid on the
          Pariates in Baritaria.

          That side dish has always interested me. Anyone interested....Any
          Pirates out there?

          Colin Murphy
          USS COnstitution 1812 Marines
          & USMCHC
        • LCpl_rm
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 6, 2006
            Georgia in January! Capture of St Mary's and the occupation of Cumberland Island.

            Ed Seufert, Cpl
            1812 Royal Marines

            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 7, 2006
              Colin,

              You might get your wish. There is a fine gun crew of Baratarians in New
              Orleans who turn out each January for the Battle of New Orleans.
              Apparently, New Orleans is still a nest of pirates ready to defend their
              liberty. They even have their own Yahoo group.

              Gord Deans,
              HMS Charwell Landing Party.

              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 7, 2006
                I'm located down on the coast at Daphne Alabama which is across the
                bay from Mobile, so I'll post a narrative of what I know is going on
                for the AL/MS Gulf Coast area.
                Before I start I will say that yes, Civil War is the big draw down
                here and yes, the majority of the 1812 participants were CW
                reenactors. I have been reenacting for twelve years and doing
                RW/1812 for six. For me personally, I reached an epiphany when at a
                CW reenactment I was camped next to a man who belonged to no unit
                and was dressed as Nathan Bedford Forrest. I acknowledged his
                impression and then he loftily informed me that HE WAS Nathan
                Bedford Forrest. Shortly thereafter I began researching and
                participating in Colonial and 1812 events.
                The most striking thing about the Creek War and the events on the
                coast is that the general public has so little knowledge of these
                events. They have vaguely heard of Horseshoe Bend and Ft. Mims….the
                Battle of New Orleans being the one touch stone that is commonly
                grasped. As a result of a number of factors there is a loose
                informal confederation of 1812 reenactors sprinkled among the
                coastal Gulf States.

                I belong to the "Jackson's Lifeguard" which was a nickname given to
                Captain Deaderick's Company of Artillery of TN militia. We portray
                the unit with the aid of a 3 lb. cannon and limber. The group is
                helmed by Mark Hubbs from the Huntsville AL area and our group can
                muster as many as 12 if the forces of the cosmos are aligned. We
                also do a generic TN Militia impression when needed.

                Some of the events that we try to support every year:

                Chalmette-Battle of NO January
                Battle of Horseshoe Bend March
                Ft. Mims August (and Hell yes it's hot)
                Ft. Jackson November

                I also belong to a group that is in the process of reconfiguring
                here on the Gulf Coast. It is the 4th Foot (the King's Own) and at
                our spring muster held at Ft. Gaines we had 10 members present. The
                group is helmed by Donald Blackmon. Health issues have forced us to
                alter schedules but we hope to be more fully engaged soon. We are
                currently finalizing kits and hope to be ready for the field
                presently. Outstanding issues are our composite order for Shakos and
                belt plates.

                Ove Jensen, who is a Park Ranger at Horseshoe Bend has put together
                a group that regularly does interpretation at HSB and will travel to
                other period NPS sites to lend a hand. They previously did Regular
                (39th INF) but have switched to TN militia for their primary
                impression. This is an excellent group of about 8-10 and they have
                the capability of Artillery also.

                Steve Thomas, who is located in Fairhope AL is a member of Steve
                Abolts 7th Infantry but he also is very involved in helping historic
                sites on the coast do Historical Interpretation. Steve can, and it
                seems on a moments notice, put together programs for sites that
                range from 1812 militia or US Regular to British/Spanish colonial.
                His capabilities also include 1820's-30's US Regulars and Rev War
                period. Steve draws on a loose confederation of reenactors here
                along the coast and we can usually generate 6-12 for site specific
                programs.

                Then, of course, you have the usual suspects; Steve Abolt, Tim
                Pickles, etc. who can probably point you toward even more Southern
                resources. I always make a point of attending anything that Steve A.
                is involved in as his knowledge of the period is always informative.

                Charlie McCulloh
                Jackson's Lifeguard

                --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "tedyeat" <tedyeat@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > area
                > > AL. and MS. I really don't see much of them unless it's at an
                > event
                > > or time line gig.
                > >
                > > I am sponsoring an 1812 event in December near Natchez MS. on
                > > December 3rd of this year. I don't know who or how many folks
                will
                > > show up so far I've onl;y gotten one response. There will be no
                > > uniformed British at that event as the British were still
                sailing
                > > towards New Orleans.
                > >
                > > The Battle of New Orleans I assume will occure in January 2007
                and
                > > your best bet would be to contact the Battle of New Orleans
                group
                > in
                > > yahoo, Steve Abolt, Tim Pickles, or some of your Buds.

              • tedyeat
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 7, 2006
                  Rumor had it that the LIFE GUARD had folded and gone into Rev. War.
                  The web site vanished some time ago. It had some good material on
                  it. Glad to hear they are apparently still around.

                  As for CW war events, ever walked through an "authentic" camp where
                  folks were watching a portable battery powered TV at night? Too
                  many "Mastercard Farbs".

                  YH&OS
                  Ted Yeatman
                  Fell's Point Rifles

                  --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Charlie McCulloh"
                  <moosenmoo35244@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > > area
                  > > > AL. and MS. I really don't see much of them unless it's at an
                  > > event
                  > > > or time line gig.
                  > > >
                  > > > I am sponsoring an 1812 event in December near Natchez MS. on
                  > > > December 3rd of this year. I don't know who or how many folks
                  > will
                  > > > show up so far I've onl;y gotten one response. There will be
                  no
                  > > > uniformed British at that event as the British were still
                  > sailing
                  > > > towards New Orleans.
                  > > >
                  > > > The Battle of New Orleans I assume will occure in January 2007
                  > and
                  > > > your best bet would be to contact the Battle of New Orleans
                  > group
                  > > in
                  > > > yahoo, Steve Abolt, Tim Pickles, or some of your Buds.

                • John Ogden
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 7, 2006
                    All-
                    My thanks for the input. As I've mentioned in previous posts, I am a
                    veteran reenactor of the French & Indian War (currently living in Pittsburgh
                    PA), and I was mortified at the thought of having to trade in the firelock
                    for something that uses a percussion cap if I wanted to keep reenacting.
                    While I have nothing against reenacting the War Between the States *per se*,
                    I feel it might not go well for reasons pertaining to my personal life. The
                    domestic partner, whose attendance of an MFA program at UNO necessitates
                    this move, is a woman of color, which might not sit well with some parties
                    in an ACW encampment. It once caused some stress in regards to an 18th
                    century event up this way, I'd rather not go looking for grief.

                    Your servant,
                    John Ogden

                    --
                    Fortuna audentes favorit.
                    ("Fortune favors the bold.")

                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 7, 2006
                      Dear John

                      Though we've not met, may I offer the opinion that if any re-enactors, of
                      any era, display bigotry toward your partner because of race, you would do
                      us all a favor by having nothing further to do with them. And you might tell
                      us who they are so we can avoid them as well.

                      Vic Suthren
                      Naval Establishment
                      Crown Forces North America.
> [...]
                      > > > Abolts 7th Infantry but he also is very involved in helping
                      > > historic
                      > > > sites on the coast do Historical Interpretation. Steve can, and it
                      > > > seems on a moments notice, put together programs for sites that
                      > > > range from 1812 militia or US Regular to British/Spanish colonial.
                      > > > His capabilities also include 1820's-30's US Regulars and Rev War
                      > > > period. Steve draws on a loose confederation of reenactors here
                      > > > along the coast and we can usually generate 6-12 for site specific
                      > > > programs.
                      > > >
                      > > > Then, of course, you have the usual suspects; Steve Abolt, Tim
                      > > > Pickles, etc. who can probably point you toward even more Southern
                      > > > resources. I always make a point of attending anything that Steve
                      > > A.
                      > > > is involved in as his knowledge of the period is always

                      square miles...

                      > --

                    • Dale Kidd
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 7, 2006
                        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, <suthren@...> wrote:

                        > Dear John
                        >
                        > Though we've not met, may I offer the opinion that if any re-
                        enactors, of
                        > any era, display bigotry toward your partner because of race, you
                        would do
                        > us all a favor by having nothing further to do with them. And you
                        might tell
                        > us who they are so we can avoid them as well.

                        Motion seconded... and I think I can say without fear of reprisal,
                        CARRIED.

                        ~Dale
                      • Colin
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 7, 2006
                          Ted,
                          I know the feeling. While I try my best to be as authentic as
                          possible (one set of modern clothes to the event, my sea bag and pack
                          for the event[with only issued period gear] and a modern set of
                          clothes for the ride home, living in a canvas tent on straw)I often
                          find myself and others like me attacked for one minute detail (button
                          size or my 38 waist)arriving with more gear than the Prince Regent or
                          with a total disregaurd of military bearing. There is a middle
                          ground, but he "supermen" seam to be further away than most of us.

                          Colin Murphy
                          The USS Constitution 1812 Marine Guard
                          & USMCHC
                        • Charlie McCulloh
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 8, 2006
                            No, The Jackson's Lifeguard never disbanded. We just were too cheap to
                            pay for the web site host when they suddenly went from "Free" to
                            wanting $200 a year. All of the research is now on our FREE Yahoo list
                            site in the files section.

                            Charlie McCulloh

                            Jackson's Lifeguard
                            1st Continental Artillery
                            Georgia Refugees
                            4th Foot (Kings Own)

                            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "tedyeat" <tedyeat@...> wrote:

                            > Rumor had it that the LIFE GUARD had folded and gone into Rev. War.
                            > The web site vanished some time ago. It had some good material on
                            > it. Glad to hear they are apparently still around.
                            >
                            > As for CW war events, ever walked through an "authentic" camp where
                            > folks were watching a portable battery powered TV at night? Too
                            > many "Mastercard Farbs".
                            >
                            > YH&OS
                            > Ted Yeatman
                            > Fell's Point Rifles

                          • tracyforsyth2001
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jul 9, 2006
                              Situations like this and other authenticity issues make me glad I am a
                              spectator of re enactments and not a re enactor. I was under the
                              impression that a "HOBBY" was something you were interested in and did
                              for fun.

                              But many personal life issues IE.parents of children unable to walk
                              frowned upon for having their child in a wagon and women of color being
                              at an 18th century being a stress issue for some one else..hearing
                              protection being an issue and wearing the proper eye glasses and modern
                              day coolers to keep medicines frowned upon........and the other issues
                              that come to play facial hair etc,make me happy I am not playing this
                              game.

                              I guess as a hobbyist you want things to be correct but for the average
                              spectator who come to an event do you really think they know to even
                              check to see if your clothes and tent is hand sewn?
                              I admire the time spent by re enactors to study this time period.
                              How ever it doesn't seem to be the welcoming hobby that someone would
                              feel at ease and comfortable joining.

                              How come people can be made to feel self conconcious about their
                              personal life style and situations for a hobby??

                              Tracy

                              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "John Ogden" <johnjogden@...> wrote:

                              SNIP
                              > I feel it might not go well for reasons pertaining to my personal
                              life. The
                              > domestic partner, whose attendance of an MFA program at UNO
                              necessitates
                              > this move, is a woman of color, which might not sit well with some
                              parties
                              > in an ACW encampment. It once caused some stress in regards to an
                              18th
                              > century event up this way, I'd rather not go looking for grief.
                              >
                              > Your servant,
                              > John Ogden
                            • Lalozon
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jul 10, 2006
                                From: "Charlie McCulloh" <moosenmoo35244@...>

                                "... All of the research is now on our FREE Yahoo list site in the files
                                section..."

                                Mr. McCulloh

                                Is Your yahoo page accessible to non members of Jackson's Lifeguard?
                                If so may we have the URL?

                                Yrs.,
                                L2
                              • Charlie McCulloh
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jul 10, 2006
                                  It is a members only moderated site. I am the list owner. If there
                                  is research you are looking for and we have it on file I will
                                  approve your application for access.

                                  Charlie McCulloh

                                  --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Lalozon" <lalozon@...> wrote:

                                  > From: "Charlie McCulloh" <moosenmoo35244@...>
                                  >
                                  > "... All of the research is now on our FREE Yahoo list site in the
                                  files
                                  > section..."
                                  >

                                  > Mr. McCulloh
                                  >

                                  > Is Your yahoo page accessible to non members of Jackson's
                                  Lifeguard?
                                  > If so may we have the URL?
                                  >
                                  > Yrs.,
                                  > L2

                                • Lalozon
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jul 10, 2006
                                    From: "Charlie McCulloh" <moosenmoo35244@...>

                                    It is a members only moderated site.

                                    Thank you Sir

                                    It looks like I met some of your members at the Hermitage July 4th

                                    Yrs.,
                                    L2
                                  • lalozon@netrover.com
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jul 11, 2006
                                      From: tracyforsyth2001 <tracyforsyth@...>

                                      ?? I was under the impression that a "HOBBY" was something you were
                                      interested in and did for fun?
                                      I guess as a hobbyist you want things to be correct but for the average
                                      spectator who come to an event do you really think they know to even check to
                                      see if your clothes and tent is hand sewn?

                                      Tracy:

                                      As in any hobby there are rules ? golf, model boats, stamp collecting, etc.

                                      Some of us in this hobby try to live and act as if it was 1812 ? 1815. If it
                                      had not been invented, some of us don?t use it ? If one cannot go without
                                      it for two days ? well!

                                      I have seen a Japanese woman in an empire dress acting as an 1812 lady, a
                                      Jamaican man acting as a slave, an American Lady portraying a Free Lady of
                                      Colour, a Canadian portraying an American soldier and visa versa

                                      One should research the hobby one is getting into and abide by the rules ? if
                                      the rules are not to one?s liking there are other hobbies

                                      Some of us do not do this hobby for spectators but for ourselves.

                                      I have returned from Tennessee where an American Unit portrays the American
                                      Army as it was in 1815 and I did hear a spectator say, ?I have never seen the
                                      historical accuracy portrayed so well? when I approached this spectator they
                                      told me they had been to so many farby events it was a breath of fresh air to
                                      see somebody doing it correctly ?

                                      ...some spectators do notice!

                                      Yrs

                                      L2

                                    • suthren@magma.ca
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jul 11, 2006
                                        I would have to say the reasons we do this hobby lie with a desire both to
                                        recreate the past accurately, and to experience it accurately. This gives
                                        insight, realization and education as well as fun and adventure in an age
                                        when so much of the latter is either electronically concocted or too elitist
                                        to afford. I think many would agree that the more accurate an experience,
                                        and the portrayals of the people in it, the more satisfying it is. People
                                        with legtimate reasons for not enjoying the difficulties of past ages
                                        shouldn't try it---but not unfairly ask the hobbyists to fudge their efforts
                                        at accuracy because they produce discomfort. Where we all SHOULD speak up is
                                        when prejudice, bigotry or hatreds rear their heads, because they are the
                                        inheritances of past ages that we should not perpetuate, even if they, like
                                        public execuitions and the torture of animals for fun, were part of the age
                                        we recreate.

                                        Vic Suthren
                                        > ?? I was under the impression that a "HOBBY" was something you were
                                        > interested in and did for fun?
                                        > I guess as a hobbyist you want things to be correct but for the average
                                        > spectator who come to an event do you really think they know to even check
                                        > see if your clothes and tent is hand sewn?
                                        >

                                        > Tracy:
                                        >
                                        > As in any hobby there are rules ? golf, model boats, stamp collecting,
                                        etc.

                                        > Some of us in this hobby try to live and act as if it was 1812 ? 1815. If
                                        it
                                        > had not been invented, some of us don?t use it ? If one cannot go without
                                        > it for two days ? well!
                                        >

                                        > I have seen a Japanese woman in an empire dress acting as an 1812 lady, a
                                        > Jamaican man acting as a slave, an American Lady portraying a Free Lady of
                                        > Colour, a Canadian portraying an American soldier and visa versa
                                        >
                                        > One should research the hobby one is getting into and abide by the rules
                                        ? if
                                        > the rules are not to one?s liking there are other hobbies
                                        >
                                        > Some of us do not do this hobby for spectators but for ourselves.
                                        >
                                        > I have returned from Tennessee where an American Unit portrays the
                                        American
                                        > Army as it was in 1815 and I did hear a spectator say, ?I have never seen
                                        the
                                        > historical accuracy portrayed so well? when I approached this spectator
                                        they
                                        > told me they had been to so many farby events it was a breath of fresh air
                                        > see somebody doing it correctly ?
                                        >
                                        > ...some spectators do notice!
                                        >

                                        > Yrs
                                        >
                                        > L2