RE: [WarOf1812] Original artifacts

  • Kevin Windsor
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 30, 2006
      Unfortunately the Ont Heritage Act doesn't cover anything that is not a
      designated site. The closest that would come would be

      56. (1) No person shall excavate or alter property designated under this
      Part or remove any artifact there from without first applying to the
      Minister and receiving a permit therefor. R.S.O. 1990, c. O.18, s. 56 (1);
      2002, c. 18, Sched. F, s. 2 (35).

      (2) An applicant is entitled to a permit or renewal of a permit by
      the Minister to excavate or alter designated property and remove artifacts
      therefrom except where the Minister is of the opinion that such excavation,
      alteration or the taking or removal of artifacts would impair or interfere
      with the protection of the designated property. R.S.O. 1990, c. O.18, s. 56
      (2); 2002, c. 18, Sched. F, s. 2 (36).

      So one of the things we are attempting is education! What these people
      don't know is that they are actually destroying the integrity of the
      artefact! Saving history IS important, but saving the provenance is more
      so. (in my books anyway!) Field notes are just as important for a metal
      detector as they are an archaeologist. As well as a good camera for in situ
      shots. Once that information is collected then worry about the artefact!
      It has been there for more than a year or two so a half hour to collect the
      data isn't going to ruin it. Then if they just have to pull it out of the
      ground TURN IT OVER TO THE LOCAL MUSEUM!!!

      What good is a musket part from Lundy's Lane if it's sold to a buyer in
      Kansas? (no offence to anyone in Kansas!)

      We are trying to do our part, but unfortunately there are still greedy
      B#$^@ds out there!

      Kevin Windsor

      _____

      From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
      Of Craig Williams

      Hey Kevin,

      I believe that the heritage act does cover this. It's just not
      enforced. As I understand it it is illegal to metal detect, even on
      private property for artifacts. This guy is one of those dinks that
      thinks that if it stays in the ground its gone forever. He doesn't
      realize that by removing it without proper documentation the artifact
      is worthless. Oh sure, there's dolts out there who'll by the stuff
      thinking it has value but without correct provenance any of this
      stuff can be fake. Can you imagine how much damage it would have done
      to the conclusions of those pop archeaoligists on "Two Men in a
      Trench" if someone had come along and denuded the field at Culloden
      with detectors. They would never have been able to pin down the
      positions of the forces by the locations of the finds.
      I don't care if he's a fireman , Mr Eldon is a thief.

      Craig