Re: [WarOf1812] Riversdale was The Price of the Bicentennial

  • LCpl_rm
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 29, 2006
      Ann,

      As you stated, the grounds are not big enough to hold a Grand Tactical (or even a Petit Tactical) and I would not mind going back to the small skirmish that we had years ago.

      However the biggest issue is getting the Militia to show up so even Ted's suggestion is quite impractical. By my reckoning there is, including the Fort Mac Guard, approximately 30-40 or more American troops in the state of which any event, only a half dozen show. With Ships Company posing as Royal Navy and us, we can throw out 15 or more Brits which would make a nice skirmish for the visitors. We had the same issue at Havre De Grace where the scenario was rewritten to high-lite the Militia. We had 6-7 in the ranks and one was one of my guys!

      If you can figure out how to work around the lack of militia, let me know!

      The heat and humidity is what causes people to not want to camp. I for one, wouldn't mind staying as you folks go out of your way to make us feel welcome and I appreciate the work that you and Ed do. Unfortunately for me, previous to this last year, the prior four years were the same weekend I moved my daughter into college which prohibited me from camping. Last years heat did me in.

      Cheers,

      Ed

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 3 1:24 PM
        Ed,
        You are right about Militia attendance being down. I keep hoping
        that will change. I guess I'm thinking towards a future date when
        MAYBE there will be more folks that turn out. I'm wearing a linen
        uniform, so heat's not as big a factor, too. Ted

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "LCpl_rm" <LCpl_RM@...> wrote:

        > Ann,
        >
        > As you stated, the grounds are not big enough to hold a Grand
        Tactical (or even a Petit Tactical) and I would not mind going back
        to the small skirmish that we had years ago.

        > However the biggest issue is getting the Militia to show up so
        even Ted's suggestion is quite impractical. By my reckoning there
        is, including the Fort Mac Guard, approximately 30-40 or more
        American troops in the state of which any event, only a half dozen
        show. With Ships Company posing as Royal Navy and us, we can throw
        out 15 or more Brits which would make a nice skirmish for the
        visitors. We had the same issue at Havre De Grace where the
        scenario was rewritten to high-lite the Militia. We had 6-7 in the
        ranks and one was one of my guys!

        > If you can figure out how to work around the lack of militia, let
        me know!

        > The heat and humidity is what causes people to not want to camp.
        I for one, wouldn't mind staying as you folks go out of your way to
        make us feel welcome and I appreciate the work that you and Ed do.
        Unfortunately for me, previous to this last year, the prior four
        years were the same weekend I moved my daughter into college which
        prohibited me from camping. Last years heat did me in.

        > Cheers,
        >
        > Ed

      • tedyeat
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 5 12:59 PM
          Ed,
          Perhaps I'm thinking several years ahead on the militia. I know
          that some of our people are apparently still getting
          clothed/equipped. The turn-out, admittedly, has been disappointing.