RE: [WarOf1812] head of state was Isaac Brock NEEDS YOU!

  • Camp Chief
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 6, 2006
      The American President fills a double role, that as Head of the Executive
      Arm of the American Government and also as Head of State.

      In Canada, the Prime Minister is the Head of the Executive Arm of
      Government, but Her Majesty the Queen is the Head of State as represented by
      the Governor General.

      David Randle

      Scout Brigade of Fort George

      From: "John-Paul Johnson" <jpjohnsn@rogers. <mailto:jpjohnsn%40rogers.com>
      com>

      But alas, Mr Harper is merely the Head of Government, not Head of State.
      ;-)

      I was under the opinion that USA President = Canadian Prime Minister

      If not ... who is "Head of State" in Canada ?

      Yrs.,

      L2

    • Ray Hobbs
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 6, 2006
        L2
        We have a Parliamentary democracy in Canada, which some significant
        differences from that in the US.
        In Canada, our official Head of State is still the Queen, and in the
        time she is out of Canada, the Governor General, Queen's
        representative. It is she who has to sign bills into law.
        Harper is Leader of the Conservative Party, and by virtue of their
        numbers in Parliament, Head of the Government, i.e. Prime Minister.

        Part III, paras 9 & 10 of the Canadian Constitution states:

        The Executive Government and Authority of and over Canada is hereby
        declared to continue and be vested in the Queen.

        The Provisions of this Act referring to the Governor General extend
        and apply to the Governor General for the Time being of Canada, or
        other the Chief Executive Officer or Administrator for the Time being
        carrying on the Government of Canada on behalf and in the Name of the
        Queen, by whatever Title he is designated.

        Hope this clarifies the ?
        Yrs etc.
        Ray

        On Jun 6, 2006, at 4:32 PM, Lalozon wrote:

        > From: "John-Paul Johnson" <jpjohnsn@...>
        >
        > But alas, Mr Harper is merely the Head of Government, not Head of
        > State.
        > ;-)
        >
        > I was under the opinion that USA President = Canadian Prime Minister
        >
        > If not ... who is "Head of State" in Canada ?
        >
        > Yrs.,
        >
        > L2

      • J-P Johnson
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 6, 2006
          Lalozon wrote:

          >From: "John-Paul Johnson" <jpjohnsn@...>
          >
          > But alas, Mr Harper is merely the Head of Government, not Head of State.
          >;-)
          >

          >I was under the opinion that USA President = Canadian Prime Minister
          >
          >If not ... who is "Head of State" in Canada ?
          >

          >Yrs.,
          >
          > L2

          That would be that nice lady whose picture is on our money, stamps,
          etc. The monarch is our head of state (though the Governor General,
          being her vice-regal representative acts as de facto head of state)

          J-P
        • Craig Williams
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 6, 2006
            Ray,
            just a query,
            Is not the correct term a "Constitutional Monarchy"?

            Craig
            On 6-Jun-06, at 4:48 PM, Ray Hobbs wrote:

            > L2
            > We have a Parliamentary democracy in Canada, which some significant
            > differences from that in the US.
            > In Canada, our official Head of State is still the Queen, and in the
            > time she is out of Canada, the Governor General, Queen's
            > representative. It is she who has to sign bills into law.
            > Harper is Leader of the Conservative Party, and by virtue of their
            > numbers in Parliament, Head of the Government, i.e. Prime Minister.
            >
            > Part III, paras 9 & 10 of the Canadian Constitution states:
            >
            > The Executive Government and Authority of and over Canada is hereby
            > declared to continue and be vested in the Queen.
            >
            > The Provisions of this Act referring to the Governor General extend
            > and apply to the Governor General for the Time being of Canada, or
            > other the Chief Executive Officer or Administrator for the Time being
            > carrying on the Government of Canada on behalf and in the Name of the
            > Queen, by whatever Title he is designated.
            >
            > Hope this clarifies the ?
            > Yrs etc.
            > Ray

          • Ray Hobbs
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 7, 2006
              It is, Sir.
              To bring this back to 1812 - British-born folks were regarded as
              subjects of the king; whereas in the US folk were regarded as citizens
              of the state. This difference was very much at the heart of the fuss
              over stopping US shipping, and taking sailors off them. Being a subject
              could not change; being a citizen was a matter of choice.
              Ray
              41st