head of state was Isaac Brock NEEDS YOU!

  • Lalozon
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 6, 2006
      From: "John-Paul Johnson" <jpjohnsn@...>

      But alas, Mr Harper is merely the Head of Government, not Head of State.
      ;-)

      I was under the opinion that USA President = Canadian Prime Minister

      If not ... who is "Head of State" in Canada ?

      Yrs.,

      L2
    • Camp Chief
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 6, 2006
        The American President fills a double role, that as Head of the Executive
        Arm of the American Government and also as Head of State.

        In Canada, the Prime Minister is the Head of the Executive Arm of
        Government, but Her Majesty the Queen is the Head of State as represented by
        the Governor General.

        David Randle

        Scout Brigade of Fort George

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 6, 2006
          L2
          We have a Parliamentary democracy in Canada, which some significant
          differences from that in the US.
          In Canada, our official Head of State is still the Queen, and in the
          time she is out of Canada, the Governor General, Queen's
          representative. It is she who has to sign bills into law.
          Harper is Leader of the Conservative Party, and by virtue of their
          numbers in Parliament, Head of the Government, i.e. Prime Minister.

          Part III, paras 9 & 10 of the Canadian Constitution states:

          The Executive Government and Authority of and over Canada is hereby
          declared to continue and be vested in the Queen.

          The Provisions of this Act referring to the Governor General extend
          and apply to the Governor General for the Time being of Canada, or
          other the Chief Executive Officer or Administrator for the Time being
          carrying on the Government of Canada on behalf and in the Name of the
          Queen, by whatever Title he is designated.

          Hope this clarifies the ?
          Yrs etc.
          Ray

          On Jun 6, 2006, at 4:32 PM, Lalozon wrote:

          > From: "John-Paul Johnson" <jpjohnsn@...>
          >
          > But alas, Mr Harper is merely the Head of Government, not Head of
          > State.
          > ;-)
          >
          > I was under the opinion that USA President = Canadian Prime Minister
          >
          > If not ... who is "Head of State" in Canada ?
          >
          > Yrs.,
          >
          > L2

        • J-P Johnson
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 6, 2006
            Lalozon wrote:

            >From: "John-Paul Johnson" <jpjohnsn@...>
            >
            > But alas, Mr Harper is merely the Head of Government, not Head of State.
            >;-)
            >

            >I was under the opinion that USA President = Canadian Prime Minister
            >
            >If not ... who is "Head of State" in Canada ?
            >

            >Yrs.,
            >
            > L2

            That would be that nice lady whose picture is on our money, stamps,
            etc. The monarch is our head of state (though the Governor General,
            being her vice-regal representative acts as de facto head of state)

            J-P
          • Craig Williams
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 6, 2006
              Ray,
              just a query,
              Is not the correct term a "Constitutional Monarchy"?

              Craig
              On 6-Jun-06, at 4:48 PM, Ray Hobbs wrote:

              > L2
              > We have a Parliamentary democracy in Canada, which some significant
              > differences from that in the US.
              > In Canada, our official Head of State is still the Queen, and in the
              > time she is out of Canada, the Governor General, Queen's
              > representative. It is she who has to sign bills into law.
              > Harper is Leader of the Conservative Party, and by virtue of their
              > numbers in Parliament, Head of the Government, i.e. Prime Minister.
              >
              > Part III, paras 9 & 10 of the Canadian Constitution states:
              >
              > The Executive Government and Authority of and over Canada is hereby
              > declared to continue and be vested in the Queen.
              >
              > The Provisions of this Act referring to the Governor General extend
              > and apply to the Governor General for the Time being of Canada, or
              > other the Chief Executive Officer or Administrator for the Time being
              > carrying on the Government of Canada on behalf and in the Name of the
              > Queen, by whatever Title he is designated.
              >
              > Hope this clarifies the ?
              > Yrs etc.
              > Ray

            • Ray Hobbs
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 7, 2006
                It is, Sir.
                To bring this back to 1812 - British-born folks were regarded as
                subjects of the king; whereas in the US folk were regarded as citizens
                of the state. This difference was very much at the heart of the fuss
                over stopping US shipping, and taking sailors off them. Being a subject
                could not change; being a citizen was a matter of choice.
                Ray
                41st