Re: Isaac Brock NEEDS YOU!

  • glifencible
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 6, 2006
      As I sent my letter to the Prime Minister, I couldn't help but think
      of Archie Bunker writing to President Nixon...

      "Dear Mr. President...Your Honor...Sir..."

      LOL! I've never written to a head of state before. Glad it pre written!

      Bill

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "militaryheritage" <dis.general@...>
      wrote:

      > Thanks everyone for your kind words (I miss you guys... in a manly
      > way). Things move slowly in government and the museum world because
      > of budget processes, competing priorities and the weighing of costs
      > and benefits. Six years is a tight time frame in my mind.
      >
      > The Mint comemmorative coins suggestion is the exact type of ideas
      > that need to be part of a federal strategy. Another example would
      > be that the Department of National Defence could permit regiments to
      > trace their lineage past the 1855 stop date (established rather
      > arbitrarily in the 1960s) to the War of 1812, and bestow the
      > appropriate battle honours/ recognitions upon the effected corps.
      > This would implant a 1812 commemorative component into each effected
      > unit, which would carry on as long as that unit is active.
      >
      > This bicentennial is a challenge to our society to prove we can
      > remember. Remembrance is a cornerstone of any long-lasting culture.
      > If nothing nationally significant happens, will WW2 veterans be
      > forgotten at that war's bicentennial as well? If it comes to pass
      > that the last war on Canadian soil can be so easily be forgotten,
      > why not Canadians fighting in foreign lands?
      >
      > Kind of heavy stuff but there it is.
      >
      > Robert

    • John-Paul Johnson
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 6, 2006
        glifencible <blongo@...> wrote: As I sent my letter to the Prime Minister, I couldn't help but think
        of Archie Bunker writing to President Nixon...

        "Dear Mr. President...Your Honor...Sir..."

        LOL! I've never written to a head of state before. Glad it pre written!

        Bill

        But alas, Mr Harper is merely the Head of Government, not Head of State. ;-)

        J-P

        RNR

      • glifencible
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 6, 2006
          Nevertheless, I put on a clean shirt, tie and underwear before
          forwarding the letter. :P

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, John-Paul Johnson <jpjohnsn@...> wrote:

          > glifencible <blongo@...> wrote: As I sent my letter to the Prime
          Minister, I couldn't help but think
          > of Archie Bunker writing to President Nixon...
          >
          > "Dear Mr. President...Your Honor...Sir..."
          >
          > LOL! I've never written to a head of state before. Glad it pre written!
          >
          > Bill
          >

          > But alas, Mr Harper is merely the Head of Government, not Head of
          State. ;-)

          > J-P
          >
          > RNR

        • Paul Watson
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 7, 2006
            > This bicentennial is a challenge to our society to
            > prove we can
            > remember. Remembrance is a cornerstone of any
            > long-lasting culture.
            > If nothing nationally significant happens, will WW2
            > veterans be
            > forgotten at that war's bicentennial as well? If
            > it comes to pass
            > that the last war on Canadian soil can be so easily
            > be forgotten,
            > why not Canadians fighting in foreign lands?

            Incredibly well Put Robert
            Bravo!

            Paul

            http://mail.yahoo.com