Re: Isaac Brock NEEDS YOU!

  • militaryheritage
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 6, 2006
      Thanks everyone for your kind words (I miss you guys... in a manly
      way). Things move slowly in government and the museum world because
      of budget processes, competing priorities and the weighing of costs
      and benefits. Six years is a tight time frame in my mind.

      The Mint comemmorative coins suggestion is the exact type of ideas
      that need to be part of a federal strategy. Another example would
      be that the Department of National Defence could permit regiments to
      trace their lineage past the 1855 stop date (established rather
      arbitrarily in the 1960s) to the War of 1812, and bestow the
      appropriate battle honours/ recognitions upon the effected corps.
      This would implant a 1812 commemorative component into each effected
      unit, which would carry on as long as that unit is active.

      This bicentennial is a challenge to our society to prove we can
      remember. Remembrance is a cornerstone of any long-lasting culture.
      If nothing nationally significant happens, will WW2 veterans be
      forgotten at that war's bicentennial as well? If it comes to pass
      that the last war on Canadian soil can be so easily be forgotten,
      why not Canadians fighting in foreign lands?

      Kind of heavy stuff but there it is.

      Robert
    • glifencible
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 6, 2006
        As I sent my letter to the Prime Minister, I couldn't help but think
        of Archie Bunker writing to President Nixon...

        "Dear Mr. President...Your Honor...Sir..."

        LOL! I've never written to a head of state before. Glad it pre written!

        Bill

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "militaryheritage" <dis.general@...>
        wrote:

        > Thanks everyone for your kind words (I miss you guys... in a manly
        > way). Things move slowly in government and the museum world because
        > of budget processes, competing priorities and the weighing of costs
        > and benefits. Six years is a tight time frame in my mind.
        >
        > The Mint comemmorative coins suggestion is the exact type of ideas
        > that need to be part of a federal strategy. Another example would
        > be that the Department of National Defence could permit regiments to
        > trace their lineage past the 1855 stop date (established rather
        > arbitrarily in the 1960s) to the War of 1812, and bestow the
        > appropriate battle honours/ recognitions upon the effected corps.
        > This would implant a 1812 commemorative component into each effected
        > unit, which would carry on as long as that unit is active.
        >
        > This bicentennial is a challenge to our society to prove we can
        > remember. Remembrance is a cornerstone of any long-lasting culture.
        > If nothing nationally significant happens, will WW2 veterans be
        > forgotten at that war's bicentennial as well? If it comes to pass
        > that the last war on Canadian soil can be so easily be forgotten,
        > why not Canadians fighting in foreign lands?
        >
        > Kind of heavy stuff but there it is.
        >
        > Robert

      • John-Paul Johnson
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 6, 2006
          glifencible <blongo@...> wrote: As I sent my letter to the Prime Minister, I couldn't help but think
          of Archie Bunker writing to President Nixon...

          "Dear Mr. President...Your Honor...Sir..."

          LOL! I've never written to a head of state before. Glad it pre written!

          Bill

          But alas, Mr Harper is merely the Head of Government, not Head of State. ;-)

          J-P

          RNR

        • glifencible
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 6, 2006
            Nevertheless, I put on a clean shirt, tie and underwear before
            forwarding the letter. :P

            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, John-Paul Johnson <jpjohnsn@...> wrote:

            > glifencible <blongo@...> wrote: As I sent my letter to the Prime
            Minister, I couldn't help but think
            > of Archie Bunker writing to President Nixon...
            >
            > "Dear Mr. President...Your Honor...Sir..."
            >
            > LOL! I've never written to a head of state before. Glad it pre written!
            >
            > Bill
            >

            > But alas, Mr Harper is merely the Head of Government, not Head of
            State. ;-)

            > J-P
            >
            > RNR

          • Paul Watson
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 7, 2006
              > This bicentennial is a challenge to our society to
              > prove we can
              > remember. Remembrance is a cornerstone of any
              > long-lasting culture.
              > If nothing nationally significant happens, will WW2
              > veterans be
              > forgotten at that war's bicentennial as well? If
              > it comes to pass
              > that the last war on Canadian soil can be so easily
              > be forgotten,
              > why not Canadians fighting in foreign lands?

              Incredibly well Put Robert
              Bravo!

              Paul

              http://mail.yahoo.com