Re: [WarOf1812] Isaac Brock NEEDS YOU! The War of 1812 NEEDS YOU! Please Read.

  • Craig Williams
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 6, 2006
      Done! and thank you for your initiative!

      Craig

    • militaryheritage
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 6, 2006
        Thanks everyone for your kind words (I miss you guys... in a manly
        way). Things move slowly in government and the museum world because
        of budget processes, competing priorities and the weighing of costs
        and benefits. Six years is a tight time frame in my mind.

        The Mint comemmorative coins suggestion is the exact type of ideas
        that need to be part of a federal strategy. Another example would
        be that the Department of National Defence could permit regiments to
        trace their lineage past the 1855 stop date (established rather
        arbitrarily in the 1960s) to the War of 1812, and bestow the
        appropriate battle honours/ recognitions upon the effected corps.
        This would implant a 1812 commemorative component into each effected
        unit, which would carry on as long as that unit is active.

        This bicentennial is a challenge to our society to prove we can
        remember. Remembrance is a cornerstone of any long-lasting culture.
        If nothing nationally significant happens, will WW2 veterans be
        forgotten at that war's bicentennial as well? If it comes to pass
        that the last war on Canadian soil can be so easily be forgotten,
        why not Canadians fighting in foreign lands?

        Kind of heavy stuff but there it is.

        Robert
      • glifencible
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 6, 2006
          As I sent my letter to the Prime Minister, I couldn't help but think
          of Archie Bunker writing to President Nixon...

          "Dear Mr. President...Your Honor...Sir..."

          LOL! I've never written to a head of state before. Glad it pre written!

          Bill

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "militaryheritage" <dis.general@...>
          wrote:

          > Thanks everyone for your kind words (I miss you guys... in a manly
          > way). Things move slowly in government and the museum world because
          > of budget processes, competing priorities and the weighing of costs
          > and benefits. Six years is a tight time frame in my mind.
          >
          > The Mint comemmorative coins suggestion is the exact type of ideas
          > that need to be part of a federal strategy. Another example would
          > be that the Department of National Defence could permit regiments to
          > trace their lineage past the 1855 stop date (established rather
          > arbitrarily in the 1960s) to the War of 1812, and bestow the
          > appropriate battle honours/ recognitions upon the effected corps.
          > This would implant a 1812 commemorative component into each effected
          > unit, which would carry on as long as that unit is active.
          >
          > This bicentennial is a challenge to our society to prove we can
          > remember. Remembrance is a cornerstone of any long-lasting culture.
          > If nothing nationally significant happens, will WW2 veterans be
          > forgotten at that war's bicentennial as well? If it comes to pass
          > that the last war on Canadian soil can be so easily be forgotten,
          > why not Canadians fighting in foreign lands?
          >
          > Kind of heavy stuff but there it is.
          >
          > Robert

        • John-Paul Johnson
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 6, 2006
            glifencible <blongo@...> wrote: As I sent my letter to the Prime Minister, I couldn't help but think
            of Archie Bunker writing to President Nixon...

            "Dear Mr. President...Your Honor...Sir..."

            LOL! I've never written to a head of state before. Glad it pre written!

            Bill

            But alas, Mr Harper is merely the Head of Government, not Head of State. ;-)

            J-P

            RNR

          • glifencible
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 6, 2006
              Nevertheless, I put on a clean shirt, tie and underwear before
              forwarding the letter. :P

              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, John-Paul Johnson <jpjohnsn@...> wrote:

              > glifencible <blongo@...> wrote: As I sent my letter to the Prime
              Minister, I couldn't help but think
              > of Archie Bunker writing to President Nixon...
              >
              > "Dear Mr. President...Your Honor...Sir..."
              >
              > LOL! I've never written to a head of state before. Glad it pre written!
              >
              > Bill
              >

              > But alas, Mr Harper is merely the Head of Government, not Head of
              State. ;-)

              > J-P
              >
              > RNR

            • Paul Watson
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 7, 2006
                > This bicentennial is a challenge to our society to
                > prove we can
                > remember. Remembrance is a cornerstone of any
                > long-lasting culture.
                > If nothing nationally significant happens, will WW2
                > veterans be
                > forgotten at that war's bicentennial as well? If
                > it comes to pass
                > that the last war on Canadian soil can be so easily
                > be forgotten,
                > why not Canadians fighting in foreign lands?

                Incredibly well Put Robert
                Bravo!

                Paul

                http://mail.yahoo.com