Re: [WarOf1812] Isaac Brock NEEDS YOU! The War of 1812 NEEDS YOU! Please Read.

  • Ray Hobbs
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 6, 2006
      Robert:
      Thank you for this effort. My letter is on its way to PM Harper.
      Regards
      Ray H
      41st

    • glifencible
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 6, 2006
        Here's the response to my inquiry to the Royal Canadian Mint on a
        bicentennial set of coins. What better way to remember than to pull
        out a War of 1812 toonie every time we buy a double double? Perhaps
        Canada Post could issue a set of postage stamps too...

        Start getting your designs together.

        Dear Mr. Longo:

        I would like to acknowledge your email of May 24, 2006, inquiring
        about the production of a coin to commemorate the bicentennial of the
        War of 1812.

        For your information, the Mint initially reviews all potential
        commemorative themes and drawings, conducts public research on
        appropriate designs and finally, submits these ideas to the federal
        government who is responsible for the final decision. Products and
        themes for upcoming years are decided upon approximately one to two
        years in advance of their public release.

        The Royal Canadian Mint receives hundreds of theme ideas every year from
        citizens and organizations from all over the country. We test as many
        of these themes as possible through market research, however, only a few
        each year can be selected. While 2012 is still a few years away, we
        definitely welcome your suggestion. I want you to know that your request
        is being given the utmost consideration for future testing.

        I hope you have found this information helpful. Thank you for your
        interest in the Royal Canadian Mint.

        Sincerely,

        Jennifer Hood
      • Craig Williams
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 6, 2006
          Done! and thank you for your initiative!

          Craig

        • militaryheritage
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 6, 2006
            Thanks everyone for your kind words (I miss you guys... in a manly
            way). Things move slowly in government and the museum world because
            of budget processes, competing priorities and the weighing of costs
            and benefits. Six years is a tight time frame in my mind.

            The Mint comemmorative coins suggestion is the exact type of ideas
            that need to be part of a federal strategy. Another example would
            be that the Department of National Defence could permit regiments to
            trace their lineage past the 1855 stop date (established rather
            arbitrarily in the 1960s) to the War of 1812, and bestow the
            appropriate battle honours/ recognitions upon the effected corps.
            This would implant a 1812 commemorative component into each effected
            unit, which would carry on as long as that unit is active.

            This bicentennial is a challenge to our society to prove we can
            remember. Remembrance is a cornerstone of any long-lasting culture.
            If nothing nationally significant happens, will WW2 veterans be
            forgotten at that war's bicentennial as well? If it comes to pass
            that the last war on Canadian soil can be so easily be forgotten,
            why not Canadians fighting in foreign lands?

            Kind of heavy stuff but there it is.

            Robert
          • glifencible
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 6, 2006
              As I sent my letter to the Prime Minister, I couldn't help but think
              of Archie Bunker writing to President Nixon...

              "Dear Mr. President...Your Honor...Sir..."

              LOL! I've never written to a head of state before. Glad it pre written!

              Bill

              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "militaryheritage" <dis.general@...>
              wrote:

              > Thanks everyone for your kind words (I miss you guys... in a manly
              > way). Things move slowly in government and the museum world because
              > of budget processes, competing priorities and the weighing of costs
              > and benefits. Six years is a tight time frame in my mind.
              >
              > The Mint comemmorative coins suggestion is the exact type of ideas
              > that need to be part of a federal strategy. Another example would
              > be that the Department of National Defence could permit regiments to
              > trace their lineage past the 1855 stop date (established rather
              > arbitrarily in the 1960s) to the War of 1812, and bestow the
              > appropriate battle honours/ recognitions upon the effected corps.
              > This would implant a 1812 commemorative component into each effected
              > unit, which would carry on as long as that unit is active.
              >
              > This bicentennial is a challenge to our society to prove we can
              > remember. Remembrance is a cornerstone of any long-lasting culture.
              > If nothing nationally significant happens, will WW2 veterans be
              > forgotten at that war's bicentennial as well? If it comes to pass
              > that the last war on Canadian soil can be so easily be forgotten,
              > why not Canadians fighting in foreign lands?
              >
              > Kind of heavy stuff but there it is.
              >
              > Robert

            • John-Paul Johnson
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 6, 2006
                glifencible <blongo@...> wrote: As I sent my letter to the Prime Minister, I couldn't help but think
                of Archie Bunker writing to President Nixon...

                "Dear Mr. President...Your Honor...Sir..."

                LOL! I've never written to a head of state before. Glad it pre written!

                Bill

                But alas, Mr Harper is merely the Head of Government, not Head of State. ;-)

                J-P

                RNR

              • glifencible
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 6, 2006
                  Nevertheless, I put on a clean shirt, tie and underwear before
                  forwarding the letter. :P

                  --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, John-Paul Johnson <jpjohnsn@...> wrote:

                  > glifencible <blongo@...> wrote: As I sent my letter to the Prime
                  Minister, I couldn't help but think
                  > of Archie Bunker writing to President Nixon...
                  >
                  > "Dear Mr. President...Your Honor...Sir..."
                  >
                  > LOL! I've never written to a head of state before. Glad it pre written!
                  >
                  > Bill
                  >

                  > But alas, Mr Harper is merely the Head of Government, not Head of
                  State. ;-)

                  > J-P
                  >
                  > RNR

                • Paul Watson
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 7, 2006
                    > This bicentennial is a challenge to our society to
                    > prove we can
                    > remember. Remembrance is a cornerstone of any
                    > long-lasting culture.
                    > If nothing nationally significant happens, will WW2
                    > veterans be
                    > forgotten at that war's bicentennial as well? If
                    > it comes to pass
                    > that the last war on Canadian soil can be so easily
                    > be forgotten,
                    > why not Canadians fighting in foreign lands?

                    Incredibly well Put Robert
                    Bravo!

                    Paul

                    http://mail.yahoo.com