Isaac Brock NEEDS YOU! The War of 1812 NEEDS YOU! Please Read.

  • militaryheritage
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 6, 2006
      Hi Everyone,

      Canada needs a National War of 1812 Bicentennial Commemoration plan
      NOW. I am encouraging all 1812 enthusiasts to TAKE ACTION and write
      the Prime Minister of Canada. Attached below is a letter you can
      send. Just:

      1. cut and paste it into your e-mail program
      2. put the subject heading: War of 1812 Bicentennial Plan Needed
      3. sign it
      4. send it to the Prime Minister at: pm@...

      Four simple steps that will make a difference. You may also FAX
      your letter to the Prime Minister at: 1-613-941-6900.

      Don't stop there. E-mail this entire message to friends, co-
      workers, and family and ask them to send a letter to the Prime
      Minister as well.

      U.S., U.K. and other international enthusiasts are encouraged to
      write as well to encourage the Canadian government to take action.

      Thank you in advance for doing the right thing.

      Sincerely,

      Robert Henderson
      warof1812.ca

      RE: War of 1812 Bicentennial Commemoration Strategy

      Dear Prime Minister Harper,

      I am writing to ask for a national strategy to be established for
      commemorating the bicentennial of the War of 1812.

      With heroes like Sir Isaac Brock, Laura Secord, Tecumseh, and
      Charles Michel de Salaberry, the War of 1812 has become a great
      source of patriotic pride for all Canadians. Because of this, the
      bicentennial offers an ideal opportunity for the federal government
      to take a leadership role both nationally and internationally in the
      war's commemoration. It is about remembering the sacrifice of
      veterans, no longer with us, who fought for Canada on Canadian
      soil.

      In the United States, the Senate gave unanimous consent last year to
      the Star-Spangled Banner and War of 1812 Bicentennial Commission Act
      and it is now in the House of Representatives for approval. In
      representing a society expert in commemoration, US legislators
      realize action must happen NOW in order to produce meaningful
      results.

      A similar effort is needed from Ottawa that encompasses all federal
      heritage organizations including Parks Canada, the Canadian Museum
      of Civilization, the Canadian War Museum, Library and Archives
      Canada, and the Department of National Defence. There are excellent
      synergies between the various federal heritage bodies and pooling
      resources will allow Canada to properly show its respect and
      gratitude to those who sacrificed their lives defending this nation
      in the War of 1812.

      On the international level, a joint Canada -US - UK cooperative
      venture, say a touring exhibition, could be one of many wonderful
      results of a focused federal effort, and such a joint international
      collaboration would underline how nations once hostile with each
      other can become the closest of allies and friends and produce the
      world's longest undefended border.

      In conclusion, the War of 1812 is extremely important to Canadians
      and taking ownership NOW of the bicentennial by this government is
      necessary in order for the commemorations to be done properly. I
      sincerely hope you will recognize this issue's value and put forth a
      coordinated, results-driven process that will generate a
      commemoration that will make Canadians proud.

      Yours truly,

      [Your name]
      [Postal Code or City/Province]

      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 6, 2006
        Robert:
        Thank you for this effort. My letter is on its way to PM Harper.
        Regards
        Ray H
        41st

      • glifencible
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 6, 2006
          Here's the response to my inquiry to the Royal Canadian Mint on a
          bicentennial set of coins. What better way to remember than to pull
          out a War of 1812 toonie every time we buy a double double? Perhaps
          Canada Post could issue a set of postage stamps too...

          Start getting your designs together.

          Dear Mr. Longo:

          I would like to acknowledge your email of May 24, 2006, inquiring
          about the production of a coin to commemorate the bicentennial of the
          War of 1812.

          For your information, the Mint initially reviews all potential
          commemorative themes and drawings, conducts public research on
          appropriate designs and finally, submits these ideas to the federal
          government who is responsible for the final decision. Products and
          themes for upcoming years are decided upon approximately one to two
          years in advance of their public release.

          The Royal Canadian Mint receives hundreds of theme ideas every year from
          citizens and organizations from all over the country. We test as many
          of these themes as possible through market research, however, only a few
          each year can be selected. While 2012 is still a few years away, we
          definitely welcome your suggestion. I want you to know that your request
          is being given the utmost consideration for future testing.

          I hope you have found this information helpful. Thank you for your
          interest in the Royal Canadian Mint.

          Sincerely,

          Jennifer Hood
        • Craig Williams
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 6, 2006
            Done! and thank you for your initiative!

            Craig

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 6, 2006
              Thanks everyone for your kind words (I miss you guys... in a manly
              way). Things move slowly in government and the museum world because
              of budget processes, competing priorities and the weighing of costs
              and benefits. Six years is a tight time frame in my mind.

              The Mint comemmorative coins suggestion is the exact type of ideas
              that need to be part of a federal strategy. Another example would
              be that the Department of National Defence could permit regiments to
              trace their lineage past the 1855 stop date (established rather
              arbitrarily in the 1960s) to the War of 1812, and bestow the
              appropriate battle honours/ recognitions upon the effected corps.
              This would implant a 1812 commemorative component into each effected
              unit, which would carry on as long as that unit is active.

              This bicentennial is a challenge to our society to prove we can
              remember. Remembrance is a cornerstone of any long-lasting culture.
              If nothing nationally significant happens, will WW2 veterans be
              forgotten at that war's bicentennial as well? If it comes to pass
              that the last war on Canadian soil can be so easily be forgotten,
              why not Canadians fighting in foreign lands?

              Kind of heavy stuff but there it is.

              Robert
            • glifencible
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 6, 2006
                As I sent my letter to the Prime Minister, I couldn't help but think
                of Archie Bunker writing to President Nixon...

                "Dear Mr. President...Your Honor...Sir..."

                LOL! I've never written to a head of state before. Glad it pre written!

                Bill

                --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "militaryheritage" <dis.general@...>
                wrote:

                > Thanks everyone for your kind words (I miss you guys... in a manly
                > way). Things move slowly in government and the museum world because
                > of budget processes, competing priorities and the weighing of costs
                > and benefits. Six years is a tight time frame in my mind.
                >
                > The Mint comemmorative coins suggestion is the exact type of ideas
                > that need to be part of a federal strategy. Another example would
                > be that the Department of National Defence could permit regiments to
                > trace their lineage past the 1855 stop date (established rather
                > arbitrarily in the 1960s) to the War of 1812, and bestow the
                > appropriate battle honours/ recognitions upon the effected corps.
                > This would implant a 1812 commemorative component into each effected
                > unit, which would carry on as long as that unit is active.
                >
                > This bicentennial is a challenge to our society to prove we can
                > remember. Remembrance is a cornerstone of any long-lasting culture.
                > If nothing nationally significant happens, will WW2 veterans be
                > forgotten at that war's bicentennial as well? If it comes to pass
                > that the last war on Canadian soil can be so easily be forgotten,
                > why not Canadians fighting in foreign lands?
                >
                > Kind of heavy stuff but there it is.
                >
                > Robert

              • John-Paul Johnson
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 6, 2006
                  glifencible <blongo@...> wrote: As I sent my letter to the Prime Minister, I couldn't help but think
                  of Archie Bunker writing to President Nixon...

                  "Dear Mr. President...Your Honor...Sir..."

                  LOL! I've never written to a head of state before. Glad it pre written!

                  Bill

                  But alas, Mr Harper is merely the Head of Government, not Head of State. ;-)

                  J-P

                  RNR

                • glifencible
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 6, 2006
                    Nevertheless, I put on a clean shirt, tie and underwear before
                    forwarding the letter. :P

                    --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, John-Paul Johnson <jpjohnsn@...> wrote:

                    > glifencible <blongo@...> wrote: As I sent my letter to the Prime
                    Minister, I couldn't help but think
                    > of Archie Bunker writing to President Nixon...
                    >
                    > "Dear Mr. President...Your Honor...Sir..."
                    >
                    > LOL! I've never written to a head of state before. Glad it pre written!
                    >
                    > Bill
                    >

                    > But alas, Mr Harper is merely the Head of Government, not Head of
                    State. ;-)

                    > J-P
                    >
                    > RNR

                  • Paul Watson
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 7, 2006
                      > This bicentennial is a challenge to our society to
                      > prove we can
                      > remember. Remembrance is a cornerstone of any
                      > long-lasting culture.
                      > If nothing nationally significant happens, will WW2
                      > veterans be
                      > forgotten at that war's bicentennial as well? If
                      > it comes to pass
                      > that the last war on Canadian soil can be so easily
                      > be forgotten,
                      > why not Canadians fighting in foreign lands?

                      Incredibly well Put Robert
                      Bravo!

                      Paul

                      http://mail.yahoo.com