Boston on the 4th Anyone???

  • Colin
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 4, 2006
      ****sorry for the late notice, but we have a hell of a time
      coordinating with the NPS and the US Navy*****

      THE U.S.S. CONSTITUTION 1812 MARINE GUARD
      Would like to invite your War of 1812 Living History unit to Boston
      for the 4th of July Weekend.

      • The tentative schedule is to receive folks on Friday Night
      through Saturday around noontime.
      • On Friday Night and Saturday morning we will set up period camp
      on the Lawn of the oldest Marine Corps Barracks in the World! We
      will then drill as one entity no matter British, American, Canadian
      or Native American because that night we will take part in the USS
      Constitution's Sunset Parade.
      • Sunday will be a day of Living History activities by all units
      telling your units story and demonstrating drill and firing for the
      multitudes that visit the Charlestown Navy Yard on this particular
      weekend.
      • Monday July 3 will be an open day for all participants. If you
      wish you may remain in the yard for some or all the day and do
      demonstrations or you may take a tourist break and explore the great
      city of Boston and its surroundings during one of its most festive
      times of the year. (Bunker Hill is a 5 minute walk...Lexington and
      Concord is a 20-minute car ride and of course the Navy Yard is in
      the Boston National Historic Park and located on the World Famous
      Freedom Trail. Salem Mass is 30 minutes away...and of course Faneuil
      Hall, Quincy Market and downtown Boston with stores, eateries,
      taverns etc... are all reachable on foot or by water taxi. Museum of
      Science, New England Aquarium and the Children's Museum is also very
      close.. We know all the spots and will be happy to show them off or
      give you guidance)
      • Tuesday the 4th the Ship will do its annual turnaround cruise.
      Units with artillery pieces are asked to go with the 1812 Marine Gun
      crew to Castle Island and fire a return salute to the USS
      Constitution as she passes. All others will remain in the Yard for
      demonstrations and duties. Once the ship returns to her berth (about
      1100) the camp will be struck and participants are free to proceed
      in and around Boston for the rest of the day. One of the World's
      greatest fireworks displays will happen in Boston that night and we
      will gladly show you the way to it.
      • We also hope to give all those registered and in period dress a
      detailed, private tour of Old Ironsides after public hours one of
      the evenings.

      • We will provide straw

      • There is one fire pit that will be maintained by the 1812
      Marines Barracks Matron, Cook and their assigned helpers. Any who
      wish to assist them in their camp duties is much welcomed. Those
      who wish to cook meals can coordinate with our personelle

      • Friday night we will have snacks and beverages for those
      arriving
      • Saturday Morning we will have Coffee, muffins doughnuts, bagels
      etc...
      • Saturday noon there will be a period meal in camp
      • Saturday early evening, before we muster for final practice
      before the Sunset Parade (around 1700) we will have cold cut
      platters etc....
      • Sunday we will again have the morning rations from the coffee
      shop. We will have a period noon meal around 1300 (1:00) for all
      units. Scheduled demonstrations will end at 1600 (4:00) and units
      are free to seek sustenance in the many fine establishments within
      easy walking distance of the Navy Yard
      • Monday morning Coffee shop rations as before.....rest of the
      day...you are tourists....feed yourselves lunch and dinner
      • Tuesday morning Coffee shop rations as before.....you are free
      to leave about 1200 or 1300
      • If you intend on staying in period camp please remember that it
      is a "period camp" and leave the excessive wooden lawn furniture.
      African tribal chairs and General Officers' canvas condominiums at
      home. Tents should be rank appropriate. Camp furniture should be
      likewise. i.e.. Colonels and Captains have chairs; Lt.s have stools
      everyone else has mother Earth. (of course I'm Probably wrong on
      this, but the picture is clear...right?) All non period items
      should be stowed while the public is around and all no period meal
      will be eaten in the Marine Guards "Slop Chute" in the Marine
      Barracks.
      *** If there is any reason you feel you cannot abide by this for a
      serious reason please contact us

      Logistics like showers and toilets are currently being worked out
      with the Navy and National Park service and those who respond in the
      affirmative will be informed of the information we reciece regarding
      these issues.

      ****A response with hard numbers is critical no later June 23rd due
      to Navy and NPS security in a HIGH security zone. Numbers of
      vehicles, their license plate numbers, peoples' names and addresses.

      *****Space is limited and it will be first come first serve, but
      please don't hesitate to contact us*****

      Please respond to both of the following
      James Murphy at cplusmc1812@...
      And
      Colin Murphy at usmarine1814@...

      YHOS
      Colin Murphy
      USS Constitution
      1812 Marine Guard

      PS any US veterans may be able to get great deals at the
      Constitution Inn inside Charlestown Navy Yard. If anyone needs this
      info just mention it.
    • Colin
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 9, 2006
        To add to the below info.

        We are looking to allow people to stay until the morning of July 5th
        so the evening of the 4th can be enjoyed in Boston without having to
        leave.

      • Dave Westhouse
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 9, 2006
          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Colin" <usmarine1814@...> wrote:

          > > THE U.S.S. CONSTITUTION 1812 MARINE GUARD
          > > Would like to invite your War of 1812 Living History unit to Boston
          > > for the 4th of July Weekend.

          2 of the Royal Scots soldiers will be there. Looking forward to it.
          Ought to be fun. Always wanted to go to Boston.

          Dave Westhouse, Corporal
          1st (Royal Scots) Grenadiers
          http://www.royalscotsgrenadiers.com
        • Colin
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 9, 2006
            Just checked... For those going to Chrysler's Farm the next weekend
            the ride through the hills and mountains of New Hamphire, Vermont and
            New York will be a beautiful one!

            Colin Murphy
            USS COnstitution 1812 Marines
          • Dave Westhouse
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 9, 2006
              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Colin" <usmarine1814@...> wrote:

              > Just checked... For those going to Chrysler's Farm the next weekend
              > the ride through the hills and mountains of New Hamphire, Vermont and
              > New York will be a beautiful one!
              >
              > Colin Murphy
              > USS COnstitution 1812 Marines

              Thought of that route ourselves. Looks like a beauty route.Instead, we
              have family in Danbury, Connecticut, so will visit there for a day
              then up the east side of New York with a stop at Fort Ticonderoga,
              Plattsburg and other sites along the way.
              YEAH!!!!! I'm lovin' it.

              My kids will hate me (all these boring historical stops) but hey, they
              get a few days in hotel with a pool so they should be happy.

              :>)

              Dave Westhouse, Corporal
              1st (Royal Scots) Regiment, Grenadier Co.
              http://www.royalscotsgrenadiers.com