Anna Brownell Jameson

  • Five Rivers Chapmanry
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 2006
      I am once again revisiting her Winter Studies and Summer Rambles
      (fourth time around), and am once again struck not only with her literary
      flights of fancy and cultural arrogance, but also with the enigma of her
      character; here is a woman, married to the Attorney General of Upper Canada
      (the work is written in 1836-1837), who is passionately Canadian before
      Canada as an entity was born, who felt the immediacy of the recent War of
      1812, and who was a friend of, and champion for, native Canadians. Indeed,
      she goes so far as to compare Pontiac and Tecumseh with Greek military
      heroes of history and legend, even so far as to draw parallels between
      Alexander the Great and Pontiac.

      In her wanderings she visits and speaks with Colonel Talbot,
      Fitzgibbon and others.

      If you haven't read her work you should. If you have, go back
      and revisit it. The book is well worth the time you will spend with her
      memories.

      Regards,

      Lorina

      Five Rivers Chapmanry

      purveyors of historical sewing patterns, quality hand-crafted cooperage,
      re-enactor and embroidery supplies, and more.

      519-799-5577 info@... - www.5rivers.org