RE: [WarOf1812] Dates in Naval History - June 1

  • Camp Chief
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2006
      Was the "Glorious First of June" not the 3rd battle of Ushant, off the
      north-west coast of France, in which Admiral Lord How was the leader of the
      victorious Royal Navy. I don't think Nelson was there, and the Battle of
      Trafalgar was off the south west coast of Spain in October 1805.

      But I will gladly hoist a glass for Admiral Lord Howe and everyone fighting
      that day.

      David Randle

      Scout Brigade of Fort George

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 5, 2006
        LMAO ...as I was corrected, in great detail, on the 1812 Royal
        Navy group, as well! Ahhhh, well. Ocasionally my misunderstanding or
        confusion over something I have read is bound to sneak up on me. I
        just read too much, too quickly, and then confuse the facts. Thanks
        for straightening me out, Admiral. I'm getting there... slowly.

        I remain,
        Your Humble and Obedient Servant,

        Dale Kidd

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, <suthren@...> wrote:

        > Dear Dale
        >
        > Thank you for your interest in naval dates of importance; it's
        heartwarming
        > to anyone who wears blue and white and hopes to succeed in
        recreating the
        > Navy of George III.
        >
        > The 'Glorious First Of June' was not, however, Nelson's victory off
        > Trafalgar, which took place in October of 1805. June 1, 1794
        marked the
        > defeat of a French squadron under Admiral Villaret by a British
        squadron
        > under Admiral Richard "Black Dick" Howe, and was fought some 400
        miles into
        > the Atlantic off Ushant. The French were defeated, but their
        resistance
        > allowed a desperately neded convoy of 117 grain ships from the
        United States
        > to arrive safely in France to feed a population on the brink of
        starvation.

        > It's an important day, whatever took place on it. Thanks for the
        reminder,
        > Dale.
        >
        > Yours aye
        >
        > Vic Suthren

        THOUSANDS of
        > square miles...

        > > --
        30/05/06

      • suthren@magma.ca
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 6, 2006
          Dale, your enthusiasm and interest is an inspiration to all. Hats off to you
          for it, mate.

          Vic Suthren
          > LMAO ...as I was corrected, in great detail, on the 1812 Royal
          > Navy group, as well! Ahhhh, well. Ocasionally my misunderstanding or
          > confusion over something I have read is bound to sneak up on me. I
          > just read too much, too quickly, and then confuse the facts. Thanks
          > for straightening me out, Admiral. I'm getting there... slowly.
          >
          > I remain,
          > Your Humble and Obedient Servant,
          >
          > Dale Kidd
          >
          > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, <suthren@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Dear Dale
          > >
          > > Thank you for your interest in naval dates of importance; it's
          > heartwarming
          > > to anyone who wears blue and white and hopes to succeed in
          > recreating the
          > > Navy of George III.
          > >
          > > The 'Glorious First Of June' was not, however, Nelson's victory off
          > > Trafalgar, which took place in October of 1805. June 1, 1794
          > marked the
          > > defeat of a French squadron under Admiral Villaret by a British
          > squadron
          > > under Admiral Richard "Black Dick" Howe, and was fought some 400
          > miles into
          > > the Atlantic off Ushant. The French were defeated, but their
          > resistance
          > > allowed a desperately neded convoy of 117 grain ships from the
          > United States
          > > to arrive safely in France to feed a population on the brink of
          > starvation.
          > >
          > > It's an important day, whatever took place on it. Thanks for the
          > reminder,
          > > Dale.
          > >
          > > Yours aye
          > >
          > > Vic Suthren