Re: [WarOf1812] Dates in Naval History - June 1

  • suthren@magma.ca
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2006
      Dear Dale

      Thank you for your interest in naval dates of importance; it's heartwarming
      to anyone who wears blue and white and hopes to succeed in recreating the
      Navy of George III.

      The 'Glorious First Of June' was not, however, Nelson's victory off
      Trafalgar, which took place in October of 1805. June 1, 1794 marked the
      defeat of a French squadron under Admiral Villaret by a British squadron
      under Admiral Richard "Black Dick" Howe, and was fought some 400 miles into
      the Atlantic off Ushant. The French were defeated, but their resistance
      allowed a desperately neded convoy of 117 grain ships from the United States
      to arrive safely in France to feed a population on the brink of starvation.

      It's an important day, whatever took place on it. Thanks for the reminder,
      Dale.

      Yours aye

      Vic Suthren
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2006
        Was the "Glorious First of June" not the 3rd battle of Ushant, off the
        north-west coast of France, in which Admiral Lord How was the leader of the
        victorious Royal Navy. I don't think Nelson was there, and the Battle of
        Trafalgar was off the south west coast of Spain in October 1805.

        But I will gladly hoist a glass for Admiral Lord Howe and everyone fighting
        that day.

        David Randle

        Scout Brigade of Fort George

        Of particular interest to Naval personnel:

        Today marks the anniversary of the Glorious First of June, when in
        1794, Nelson defeated the French fleet at Trafalgar.

        As well, and more pertinent to "our" war, on this date in 1813, the
        HMS Shannon took the USS Chesapeake.

        Here's to the victorious British Navy in both battles... and to all
        the men of all nationalities who gave their lives.

        ~Dale

        square miles...

        ---------------------------------
        Crown Forces Unit Listing:
        http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

        American Forces Unit Listing
        http://usforces1812.tripod.com

        United
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=United+state+history&w1=United+state+hi
        story&w2=Living+history&w3=United+kingdom&w4=War+of+1812&c=4&s=83&.sig=BnkX5
        cBwxtYyt_E6oXFmAQ> state history

        Living
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Living+history&w1=United+state+history&
        w2=Living+history&w3=United+kingdom&w4=War+of+1812&c=4&s=83&.sig=h_9gckXl4yC
        Ue6yD84B53Q> history

        United
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=United+kingdom&w1=United+state+history&
        w2=Living+history&w3=United+kingdom&w4=War+of+1812&c=4&s=83&.sig=d6-JL48nLEv
        tvAjd7BI7bw> kingdom

        War
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=War+of+1812&w1=United+state+history&w2=
        Living+history&w3=United+kingdom&w4=War+of+1812&c=4&s=83&.sig=lu7KZnb9LtWZLx
        OLGro9Xw> of 1812

        _____

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        * Visit your group "WarOf1812
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WarOf1812> " on the web.

        _____

      • Dale Kidd
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 5, 2006
          LMAO ...as I was corrected, in great detail, on the 1812 Royal
          Navy group, as well! Ahhhh, well. Ocasionally my misunderstanding or
          confusion over something I have read is bound to sneak up on me. I
          just read too much, too quickly, and then confuse the facts. Thanks
          for straightening me out, Admiral. I'm getting there... slowly.

          I remain,
          Your Humble and Obedient Servant,

          Dale Kidd

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, <suthren@...> wrote:

          > Dear Dale
          >
          > Thank you for your interest in naval dates of importance; it's
          heartwarming
          > to anyone who wears blue and white and hopes to succeed in
          recreating the
          > Navy of George III.
          >
          > The 'Glorious First Of June' was not, however, Nelson's victory off
          > Trafalgar, which took place in October of 1805. June 1, 1794
          marked the
          > defeat of a French squadron under Admiral Villaret by a British
          squadron
          > under Admiral Richard "Black Dick" Howe, and was fought some 400
          miles into
          > the Atlantic off Ushant. The French were defeated, but their
          resistance
          > allowed a desperately neded convoy of 117 grain ships from the
          United States
          > to arrive safely in France to feed a population on the brink of
          starvation.

          > It's an important day, whatever took place on it. Thanks for the
          reminder,
          > Dale.
          >
          > Yours aye
          >
          > Vic Suthren

          THOUSANDS of
          > square miles...

          > > --
          30/05/06

        • suthren@magma.ca
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 6, 2006
            Dale, your enthusiasm and interest is an inspiration to all. Hats off to you
            for it, mate.

            Vic Suthren
            > LMAO ...as I was corrected, in great detail, on the 1812 Royal
            > Navy group, as well! Ahhhh, well. Ocasionally my misunderstanding or
            > confusion over something I have read is bound to sneak up on me. I
            > just read too much, too quickly, and then confuse the facts. Thanks
            > for straightening me out, Admiral. I'm getting there... slowly.
            >
            > I remain,
            > Your Humble and Obedient Servant,
            >
            > Dale Kidd
            >
            > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, <suthren@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Dear Dale
            > >
            > > Thank you for your interest in naval dates of importance; it's
            > heartwarming
            > > to anyone who wears blue and white and hopes to succeed in
            > recreating the
            > > Navy of George III.
            > >
            > > The 'Glorious First Of June' was not, however, Nelson's victory off
            > > Trafalgar, which took place in October of 1805. June 1, 1794
            > marked the
            > > defeat of a French squadron under Admiral Villaret by a British
            > squadron
            > > under Admiral Richard "Black Dick" Howe, and was fought some 400
            > miles into
            > > the Atlantic off Ushant. The French were defeated, but their
            > resistance
            > > allowed a desperately neded convoy of 117 grain ships from the
            > United States
            > > to arrive safely in France to feed a population on the brink of
            > starvation.
            > >
            > > It's an important day, whatever took place on it. Thanks for the
            > reminder,
            > > Dale.
            > >
            > > Yours aye
            > >
            > > Vic Suthren