Re: Guns for sale

  • Dale Kidd
    Message 1 of 7 , May 31, 2006
      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Lalozon" <lalozon@...> wrote:
      > Since the Pedersoli Bess is a non restricted weapon in Canada ...

      Larry, et al.:

      If I may respectfully offer a correction; any flintlock long gun
      (rifle, musket shotgun, etc.)is "non-classified" in Canada, meaning
      that it is not regarded as a firearm for the purposes of Canadian
      firearms law. This is different from "non-restricted", which in Canada
      indicates a specific class of "restricted" weapons including all
      handguns (even flintlock, unless they are bona fide antiques). A
      modern rifle or shotgun would be considered non-restricted, but still
      classified as a firearm. This is a particularly important thing to
      differentiate when transporting or shipping a musket across the border.

      If I might offer a suggestion re: the shipping of the musket once
      sold... If sending it to Canada, declare it to Customs as a GIFT, so
      that the fellow receiving it does not end up paying taxes and duties
      on it. These can be rather steep in Canada, and might end up
      significantly increasing the cost to the buyer.

      YH&OS,
      Dale