Re: REPLY: [WarOf1812] Slow-Match Treatment for Cannon Linstocks

  • Gordon Deans
    Message 1 of 1 , May 27, 2006
      Ideally, use a large cake pan that allows you to lay out the cord in a flat
      loose coil. 12" to 14" square will handle 6' to 8' of cord with 2 heaping
      tablespoons of potassium nitrate and 4 cups of water. The greater the
      concentration of potassium nitrate, the faster the burn. This will give 3
      to 4 pieces of 24" length for the battlefield. Using longer lengths of
      slow-match cord on the linstock just exposes the cord unnecessarily to
      possible dampness and humidity which will give you a less reliable burn when
      you come to use it at a later battle.

      For large lengths, just slow boil a 100' coil of cord with a weight on top
      in a deep boiler pot with 1 pound of potassium nitrate and 8 quarts of water
      or more to cover the cord. Do not boil dry, remove from heat and allow it
      to sit overnight. Straighten the cord out and drape it along a railing,
      etc. outdoors to dry thoroughly. This works but will usually give
      unpredictable results for each batch with an uneven burn rate (fast and slow
      spots) and possible burn-outs.

      It is purely a trade-off between effort versus the embarrassment when your
      slow-match goes out just as the order for a battery fire is given.

      Gord Deans