Re: REPLY: [WarOf1812] Slow Match Treatment for Cannon Linstocks

  • DAVID BRUNELLE
    Message 1 of 3 , May 25 9:03 PM
      Thanks Gord!!

      Dave

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Gordon Deans
      To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, May 25, 2006 9:32 PM
      Subject: REPLY: [WarOf1812] Slow Match Treatment for Cannon Linstocks

      Dave,

      The formula for slow match cord to use with linstocks when firing cannons is as follows;

      Use 100% cotton cord with diameter of 1/2" or 5/8" depending upon linstock slow match holder capacity. Be sure that it does not have a polyester core. Twist and counter-twist the cord to loosen the weave.

      Use 1 heaping tablespoon of potassium nitrate / salt petre to 2 cups of water and boil the cord until the water has all evaporated. Do not burn the cord! Allow the cord to finish drying by laying out flat. (Hanging it up will concentrate the salt petre in the lower end. POOF!)

      Some "old gunners" also chemically treat the cord with lead acetate to burn more slowly - about 4 or 5 inches an hour which then sometimes becomes unreliable.

      Gord Deans

      Message 2 of 3 , May 27 11:29 AM
        Mr. Deans:

        What would the optimum length of rope be to soak in the 2 cups of boiling potassium nitrate solution.

        Many thanks,

        Will McConnell

        Crown Forces Unit Listing:
        http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

        American Forces Unit Listing
        http://usforces1812.tripod.com

        Living history United kingdom United state history War of 1812