Now I've seen everything

  • PEGGY MATHEWS
    Message 1 of 9 , May 23, 2006
      A 19th century fort for sale on eBay. Thought it was a joke, but check out the link and the 60 bids.
      http://cgi.ebay.com/Fort-Montgomery-Rouses-Point-Lake-Champlain-NY_W0QQitemZ4461014825QQcategoryZ15841QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem<http://cgi.ebay.com/Fort-Montgomery-Rouses-Point-Lake-Champlain-NY_W0QQitemZ4461014825QQcategoryZ15841QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem>

      Fort Montgomery on Lake Champlain. Buy it now for only 9.5 million USD.

      Michael Mathews

    • glifencible
      Message 2 of 9 , May 23, 2006
        Thanks Michael, I was bidding on this, and now everybody will want it!

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "PEGGY MATHEWS" <ciefranche21e@...>
        wrote:

        > A 19th century fort for sale on eBay. Thought it was a joke, but
        check out the link and the 60 bids.

        http://cgi.ebay.com/Fort-Montgomery-Rouses-Point-Lake-Champlain-NY_W0QQitemZ4461014825QQcategoryZ15841QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem<http://cgi.ebay.com/Fort-Montgomery-Rouses-Point-Lake-Champlain-NY_W0QQitemZ4461014825QQcategoryZ15841QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem>

        > Fort Montgomery on Lake Champlain. Buy it now for only 9.5 million USD.
        >
        > Michael Mathews

      • PEGGY Mathews
        Message 3 of 9 , May 24, 2006
          Well at least if you get it I can entertain some hope that it won't be
          turned into a resort for the rich and undeserving. If it is, I hope it's
          haunted!

          Michael

          "Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able
          to tell the difference."

          >From: "glifencible" <blongo@...>
          >To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [WarOf1812] Re: Now I've seen everything
          >Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 03:22:46 -0000
          >
          >Thanks Michael, I was bidding on this, and now everybody will want it!
          >
          >--- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "PEGGY MATHEWS" <ciefranche21e@...>
          >wrote:
          > >
          > > A 19th century fort for sale on eBay. Thought it was a joke, but
          >check out the link and the 60 bids.
          > >
          >http://cgi.ebay.com/Fort-Montgomery-Rouses-Point-Lake-Champlain-NY_W0QQitemZ4461014825QQcategoryZ15841QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem<http://cgi.ebay.com/Fort-Montgomery-Rouses-Point-Lake-Champlain-NY_W0QQitemZ4461014825QQcategoryZ15841QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem>
          > >
          > > Fort Montgomery on Lake Champlain. Buy it now for only 9.5 million USD.
          > >
          > > Michael Mathews

          >of square miles...

        • Anderson, Mike W.
          Message 4 of 9 , May 24, 2006
            Check out this site:

            Jim Millard has done an excellent job documenting the fort's history,
            with
            many evocative photos:
            http://www.historiclakes.org/explore/Montgomery.html

            Tons of photos of what you can get for $9.5 Million!

            Mike Anderson - GLI
            Near Fort York, Upper Canada

            Well at least if you get it I can entertain some hope that it won't be
            turned into a resort for the rich and undeserving. If it is, I hope
            it's
            haunted!

            Michael

            "Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able
            to tell the difference."

            >From: "glifencible" <blongo@...>
            >To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [WarOf1812] Re: Now I've seen everything
            >Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 03:22:46 -0000
            >
            >Thanks Michael, I was bidding on this, and now everybody will want it!
            >
            >--- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "PEGGY MATHEWS" <ciefranche21e@...>
            >wrote:
            > >
            > > A 19th century fort for sale on eBay. Thought it was a joke, but
            >check out the link and the 60 bids.
            > >
            >http://cgi.ebay.com/Fort-Montgomery-Rouses-Point-Lake-Champlain-NY_W0QQ
            itemZ4461014825QQcategoryZ15841QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem<htt
            p://cgi.ebay.com/Fort-Montgomery-Rouses-Point-Lake-Champlain-NY_W0QQitem
            Z4461014825QQcategoryZ15841QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem>

            > > Fort Montgomery on Lake Champlain. Buy it now for only 9.5 million
            USD.

            > > Michael Mathews

            >The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over the fate of hundreds
            of
            >square miles: in North America, hundreds determined the fate of
            THOUSANDS

            Message 5 of 9 , May 25, 2006
              Wow! Thanks, Mike, for the tip re: Fort Montgomery website. This place
              is awesome! I was picturing some hokey home-made "Daniel Boone/Davy
              Crockett" wood picket fort when I read the earlier postings. But this
              place - $9.5 million seems a *bargain*!!!

              I can see some cash-rich bogus cult buying the place for their secretive
              psudo-religious goings-on... ;>(

              The link on the website to materials on Fort Lennox on the Canadian side
              of the border is equally worth checking out.

              My question would be: why is this place up for sale? Why isn't it an
              American national park, the way Fort Lennox is a Canadian historic park?

              Jim Yaworsky
              41st

              Check out this site:

              Jim Millard has done an excellent job documenting the fort's history,
              with
              many evocative photos:
              http://www.historiclakes.org/explore/Montgomery.html

              Tons of photos of what you can get for $9.5 Million!

              Mike Anderson - GLI
              Near Fort York, Upper Canada

            • Lalozon
              Message 6 of 9 , May 25, 2006
                From: Jim Yaworsky

                " why is this place up for sale? Why isn't it an American national park
                ..."

                Some years ago, a fort (I believe in Ohio) was being run by the State and
                going broke ...
                it was transferred to the county and went broke and was put on the auction
                block a piece at a time
                (how much am I bid for this cannon?).

                An entrepreneur came forward and bid for the whole thing in tact, he bought
                it.

                First he cleaned up the place and constructed a modern camp ground in the
                bush near by.

                He sandblasted the huge barn and turned it into a dinner theatre.

                He invited re-enactors to use the fort every weekend .."FREE"...
                he supplied food, gun powder, etc.

                He restored the exhibits and buildings.

                He advertised: "Stay, eat and experience HISTORY in a real FORT"

                The place was making a lot of money ...
                the State and County came back to him and offered to buy it back ...

                he said ok
                and it will cost a Zillion Dollars (forgot the actual price)
                they declined.

                I forget the name but the story was told me by a reputable
                re-enactor/historian who has since passed away

                Why is this place up for sale? Most likely because a government agency can't
                make a go of it .
                a private entrepreneur most likely will buy it a make money

                Private enterprise ain't it wonderful!?! .
                any one hear of Wal-Mart it was started by a guy who wanted to make a
                business work

                Yrs.,
                L2
              • annbwass@aol.com
                Message 7 of 9 , May 25, 2006
                  In a message dated 5/25/2006 11:13:37 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                  lalozon@... writes:

                  any one hear of Wal-Mart it was started by a guy who wanted to make a
                  business work

                  He started with a single Ben Franklin store, in the days when those were 5 &
                  10 Cent stores. Definitely the American dream! I know it is fashionable to
                  bash Wal-Mart in some circles, but that is what capitalism is all about.

                  As to why this fort is in private hands--much as some regret it, local,
                  state, and federal government just can't save EVERYTHING. If we did, where would
                  we all be living and working? Most historic sites just don't make money--I
                  know, because I work at one. We are supported by local property taxes, plus
                  the revenue we generate, plus private donations in both time and money.
                  Multiply that by many thousands of sites in the U.S., and. . . .

                  Ann Wass

                • Camp Chief
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 29, 2006
                    I note the "Fort" is no longer listed on e-bay. The note says it was
                    removed or no longer available.

                    David Randle

                    Scout Brigade of Fort George

                    >From: "glifencible" <blongo@...>
                    >To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
                    >Subject: [WarOf1812] Re: Now I've seen everything
                    >Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 03:22:46 -0000
                    >
                    >Thanks Michael, I was bidding on this, and now everybody will want it!
                    >
                    >--- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "PEGGY MATHEWS" <ciefranche21e@...>
                    >wrote:
                    > >
                    > > A 19th century fort for sale on eBay. Thought it was a joke, but
                    >check out the link and the 60 bids.
                    > >
                    >http://cgi.ebay.com/Fort-Montgomery-Rouses-Point-Lake-Champlain-NY_W0QQ
                    itemZ4461014825QQcategoryZ15841QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem<htt
                    p://cgi.ebay.com/Fort-Montgomery-Rouses-Point-Lake-Champlain-NY_W0QQitem
                    Z4461014825QQcategoryZ15841QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem>

                    > > Fort Montgomery on Lake Champlain. Buy it now for only 9.5 million
                    USD.

                    > > Michael Mathews

                    >The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over the fate of hundreds
                    of
                    >square miles: in North America, hundreds determined the fate of
                    THOUSANDS
                    >of square miles...

                    The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over the fate of hundreds
                    of square miles: in North America, hundreds determined the fate of
                    THOUSANDS of square miles...

                    square miles...

                    ---------------------------------
                    Crown Forces Unit Listing:
                    http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

                    American Forces Unit Listing
                    http://usforces1812.tripod.com

                    Living
                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Living+history&w1=Living+history&w2=Uni
                    ted+state+history&w3=United+kingdom&w4=War+of+1812&c=4&s=83&.sig=jUzgOGFje0w
                    16vyupj3tnQ> history

                    United
                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=United+state+history&w1=Living+history&
                    w2=United+state+history&w3=United+kingdom&w4=War+of+1812&c=4&s=83&.sig=aYwqY
                    6Bu5eBwovKzzx_WYw> state history

                    United
                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=United+kingdom&w1=Living+history&w2=Uni
                    ted+state+history&w3=United+kingdom&w4=War+of+1812&c=4&s=83&.sig=X9UJ5EvAeOQ
                    sGc1iOrA4UQ> kingdom

                    War
                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=War+of+1812&w1=Living+history&w2=United
                    +state+history&w3=United+kingdom&w4=War+of+1812&c=4&s=83&.sig=6fW3pIUnW-ax_E
                    oX6qI9vA> of 1812

                    _____

                    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                    * Visit your group "WarOf1812
                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WarOf1812> " on the web.

                    _____

                  • PEGGY MATHEWS
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 29, 2006
                      Probably yanked it near the end so he wouldn't have to pay the final seller's fees. Either that or the bidding didn't get near the "buy it now" option would be my guess. Maybe Donald Trump made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

                      Michael Mathews

                      "Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able
                      to tell the difference."
                      I note the "Fort" is no longer listed on e-bay. The note says it was
                      removed or no longer available.

                      David Randle

                      Scout Brigade of Fort George

                      >From: "glifencible" <blongo@...<mailto:blongo@...>>
                      >To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com<mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com>
                      >Subject: [WarOf1812] Re: Now I've seen everything
                      >Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 03:22:46 -0000
                      >
                      >Thanks Michael, I was bidding on this, and now everybody will want it!
                      >
                      >--- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com<mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com>, "PEGGY MATHEWS" <ciefranche21e@...>
                      >wrote:
                      > >
                      > > A 19th century fort for sale on eBay. Thought it was a joke, but
                      >check out the link and the 60 bids.
                      > >
                      >http://cgi.ebay.com/Fort-Montgomery-Rouses-Point-Lake-Champlain-NY_W0QQ
                      itemZ4461014825QQcategoryZ15841QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem<htt
                      p://cgi.ebay.com/Fort-Montgomery-Rouses-Point-Lake-Champlain-NY_W0QQitem
                      Z4461014825QQcategoryZ15841QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem>

                      > > Fort Montgomery on Lake Champlain. Buy it now for only 9.5 million
                      USD.

                      > > Michael Mathews

                      >The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over the fate of hundreds
                      of
                      >square miles: in North America, hundreds determined the fate of
                      THOUSANDS
                      >of square miles...

                      The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over the fate of hundreds
                      of square miles: in North America, hundreds determined the fate of
                      THOUSANDS of square miles...

                      square miles...

                      ---------------------------------
                      Crown Forces Unit Listing: