Longwoods thanks!

  • Susan Spencer
    Message 1 of 16 , May 7, 2006
      Thanks so much to everyone who helped put the Longwoods event together
      this past weekend!! I had a wonderful time, and was (as usual) very
      well looked after by all and sundry. From my point of view on the
      sidelines, it looked like a good turnout, and it was great to see
      everyone after what felt like a very long winter. Thanks to everyone
      who dropped by to say hi, and apologies to anyone who dropped by who I
      didn't get a chance to talk to properly -- it was busy! :-D

      Thanks also to everyone who turned out for Bev Nicol's memorial. His
      spirit was very much in evidence, I felt, and I was deeply touched by
      the many wonderful and moving things that people said in tribute to
      him. Bev's son, Mike, was there for the service and stayed for the
      entire weekend. He told me that he too was very moved by the service,
      and also by all of the people who kept dropping by throughout the
      weekend to tell him stories about his dad. He said that he was having a
      wonderful time, and I think we may have him hooked, folks . . .

      This was a great start to the season, and I can't wait to get out there
      and do it all over again. A big "Well done!" to the Scots and all of
      their helpers!

      See you all down the road!
      -- Sioux

      p.s. A special thanks to the Big Red Machine for that parade right past
      my doorstep . . . you looked great! Such eye candy . . . !! ;-)
    • Ross Flowers
      Message 2 of 16 , May 8, 2006
        "A big "Well done!" to the Scots... "

        Sioux I assume you meant that litterally and not just in relation
        the 1st Regiment of Foot? :-)

        "Drums"

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Susan Spencer <susan@...> wrote:

        > Thanks so much to everyone who helped put the Longwoods event
        together
        > this past weekend!! I had a wonderful time, and was (as usual)
        very
        > well looked after by all and sundry. From my point of view on the
        > sidelines, it looked like a good turnout, and it was great to see
        > everyone after what felt like a very long winter. Thanks to
        everyone
        > who dropped by to say hi, and apologies to anyone who dropped by
        who I
        > didn't get a chance to talk to properly -- it was busy! :-D
        >
        > Thanks also to everyone who turned out for Bev Nicol's memorial.
        His
        > spirit was very much in evidence, I felt, and I was deeply touched
        by
        > the many wonderful and moving things that people said in tribute
        > him. Bev's son, Mike, was there for the service and stayed for
        the
        > entire weekend. He told me that he too was very moved by the
        service,
        > and also by all of the people who kept dropping by throughout the
        > weekend to tell him stories about his dad. He said that he was
        having a
        > wonderful time, and I think we may have him hooked, folks . . .
        >
        > This was a great start to the season, and I can't wait to get out
        there
        > and do it all over again. A big "Well done!" to the Scots and all
        of
        > their helpers!
        >
        > See you all down the road!
        > -- Sioux
        >
        > p.s. A special thanks to the Big Red Machine for that parade right
        past
        > my doorstep . . . you looked great! Such eye candy . . . !! ;-)

      • ray hobbs
        Message 3 of 16 , May 8, 2006
          Ah! A well-done Scot is an interesting thought.
          Cymru am Byth
          Hobbs
          41st

          PS: Tis very definitely the morning after!!!

          On Monday, May 8, 2006, at 09:36 AM, Ross Flowers wrote:

          > "A big "Well done!" to the Scots... "
          >
          > Sioux I assume you meant that litterally and not just in relation
          > the 1st Regiment of Foot? :-)
          >
          > "Drums"
          >

          > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Susan Spencer <susan@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Thanks so much to everyone who helped put the Longwoods event
          > together
          > > this past weekend!!  I had a wonderful time, and was (as usual)
          > very
          > > well looked after by all and sundry.  From my point of view on the
          > > sidelines, it looked like a good turnout, and it was great to see
          > > everyone after what felt like a very long winter.  Thanks to
          > everyone
          > > who dropped by to say hi, and apologies to anyone who dropped by
          > who I
          > > didn't get a chance to talk to properly -- it was busy!  :-D
          > >
          > > Thanks also to everyone who turned out for Bev Nicol's memorial.
          > His
          > > spirit was very much in evidence, I felt, and I was deeply touched
          > by
          > > the many wonderful and moving things that people said in tribute
          > > him.  Bev's son, Mike, was there for the service and stayed for
          > the
          > > entire weekend.  He told me that he too was very moved by the
          > service,
          > > and also by all of the people who kept dropping by throughout the
          > > weekend to tell him stories about his dad.  He said that he was
          > having a
          > > wonderful time, and I think we may have him hooked, folks . . .
          > >
          > > This was a great start to the season, and I can't wait to get out
          > there
          > > and do it all over again. A big "Well done!" to the Scots and all
          > of
          > > their helpers!
          > >
          > > See you all down the road!
          > > -- Sioux
          > >
          > > p.s. A special thanks to the Big Red Machine for that parade right
          > past
          > > my doorstep . . . you looked great!  Such eye candy . . . !! ;-)

          > THOUSANDS of square miles...

          >    ---------------------------------
          > Crown Forces Unit Listing:
          > http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
          >
          > American Forces Unit Listing
          > http://usforces1812.tripod.com

          <image.tiff>

          <image.tiff>

          > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
          >
          > +  Visit your group "WarOf1812" on the web.

          <image.tiff>

        • Susan Spencer
          Message 4 of 16 , May 8, 2006
            Ross Flowers wrote:

            >"A big "Well done!" to the Scots... "
            >
            >Sioux I assume you meant that litterally and not just in relation
            >the 1st Regiment of Foot? :-)

            But of course, Drum Major . . . particularly those who performed an
            admirable Address to the Haggis over the weekend . . . !

            Cheers,
            -- Sioux
          • Susan Spencer
            Message 5 of 16 , May 8, 2006
              ray hobbs wrote:

              >Ah! A well-done Scot is an interesting thought.
              >Cymru am Byth

              Good heavens, Mr. Hobbs! (Or should that be "Great Scot!"?) The very
              thought boggles the mind!

              Cheers,
              -- Sioux
              :-)
            • JGIL1812@aol.com
              Message 6 of 16 , May 8, 2006
                In a message dated 5/8/2006 9:27:49 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                susan@... writes:

                But of course, Drum Major . . . particularly those who performed an
                admirable Address to the Haggis over the weekend . . . !

                Haggis??? Why wasn't I made aware of the fact that you were serving
                Haggis??? It makes the most delightful meal especially when it is accompanied by a
                bottle of "Screech" (FYI... one makes your forget the flavour of the other).

                JG/RE

              • Peter Monahan
                Message 7 of 16 , May 8, 2006
                  Mr Hobbs

                  It's all in the marinade and picking the tender younger ones. Otherwise they just burn.
                  From: Susan Spencer <susan@...>
                  Date: 2006/05/08 Mon PM 12:33:30 EST
                  To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
                  Subject: Re: [WarOf1812] Re: Longwoods thanks!

                  ray hobbs wrote:

                  >Ah! A well-done Scot is an interesting thought.
                  >Cymru am Byth

                  Good heavens, Mr. Hobbs! (Or should that be "Great Scot!"?) The very
                  thought boggles the mind!

                  Cheers,
                  -- Sioux
                  :-)

                • Chris McKay
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 8, 2006
                    Hi All,
                    On behalf of the Longwoods Committee and all of the UTMRS, I
                    wanted to thank everyone who participated in year's Longwoods. We
                    had a fantastic turnout and everyone seemed to be enjoying
                    themselves. The tacticals looked fantastic from my point of view
                    and we had a lot of positive comments from the crowd. Thank you to
                    Sioux as well for organizing the memorial for Bev.
                    We also wanted to say an extra thankyou to everyone that was
                    involved in the drill competition this year. It was clear to
                    everyone watching that all the units put a lot of work into it over
                    the winter and each one looked really sharp - I heard several people
                    say they were glad that they didn't have to pick a winner. Thank you
                    to Peter, Craig and Doug for judging and, of course, congratultions
                    to the Glengarry Light Infantry who won the competition. I'm sure
                    they'll be back next year to defend the Woody!
                    Once again, thanks to everyone involved. I thought this event ran
                    smoother than others in the past and that's entirely due to the work
                    that everyone put in.

                    Chris McKay

                    Message 9 of 16 , May 8, 2006
                      JGIL1812@... wrote:

                      >Haggis??? Why wasn't I made aware of the fact that you were serving
                      >Haggis??? It makes the most delightful meal especially when it is accompanied by a
                      >bottle of "Screech" (FYI... one makes your forget the flavour of the other).

                      Actually, it was The Drums who had the haggis, and as far as I saw, the
                      rest of us were Screech-less! We'll have to try to do better for the
                      Grand Encampment . . .

                      Cheers,
                      -- Sioux
                    • potter1812
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 9, 2006
                        > Thanks so much to everyone who helped put the Longwoods event together
                        > this past weekend!! I had a wonderful time, and was (as usual) very
                        > well looked after by all and sundry. From my point of view on the
                        > sidelines, it looked like a good turnout, and it was great to see
                        > everyone after what felt like a very long winter.

                        My sentiments exactly, Sioux.

                        And I would like to add my heartfelt thanks to those among you so kind
                        as to stop and comment on my display and demonstration of crude local
                        pottery. The response has been both gratifying and inspiring. Less
                        than four weeks until Stoney Creek, alas, but I hope to replenish my
                        stock of mugs, bowls, pipkins and sconces before then...

                        adieu,

                        Doug
                      • Len Heidebrecht
                        Message 11 of 16 , May 9, 2006
                          Eye candy- cool. I was eye candy. I'd feel used if I wasn't so pleased.

                          Len

                          Part o' the Big Red Machine (surrup-alla-ya)

                        • suthren@magma.ca
                          Message 12 of 16 , May 10, 2006
                            Dear Sue

                            I'm looking for a red woolen stocking cap, largeish size, and a pair of
                            tinted 18th C spectacles to be worn as sunglasses. Would you be able to help
                            me with either item?

                            Yours aye

                            Vic Suthren
                            suthren@...
                            > >Haggis??? Why wasn't I made aware of the fact that you were serving
                            > >Haggis??? It makes the most delightful meal especially when it is
                            accompanied by a
                            > >bottle of "Screech" (FYI... one makes your forget the flavour of the
                            other).

                            > Actually, it was The Drums who had the haggis, and as far as I saw, the
                            > rest of us were Screech-less! We'll have to try to do better for the
                            > Grand Encampment . . .
                            >
                            > Cheers,
                            > -- Sioux

                            square miles...

                            > --

                          • Susan Spencer
                            Message 13 of 16 , May 11, 2006
                              Dear Vic --

                              I can help you with the stocking cap, and will contact you shortly
                              off-list with the details. As to the spectacles, might I suggest
                              Townsend's round spectacles with the folding arms (available online at
                              www.jastown.com)?

                              Cheers,
                              -- Sioux

                              Message 14 of 16 , May 6, 2007
                                Enormous thanks to everyone who had a hand in this year's Longwoods
                                event -- definitely one of the most enjoyable Longwoodses that I can
                                remember! I had a wonderful time, and I so enjoyed seeing everyone
                                after the long winter's respite -- and it was delightful to meet all of
                                the new recruits and see them getting their feet wet for the first time!

                                We could not have asked for better weather or better company. Thanks to
                                everyone who helped and to everyone who turned out! If the rest of the
                                season is anything like this Canadian kick-off event, it's gonna be a
                                great year!

                                Cheers to all,
                                -- Sioux
                              • Chris McKay
                                Message 15 of 16 , May 7, 2007
                                  Hello All,
                                  On behalf on the Longwoods organizing committee, I wanted to say a
                                  big thank you to everyone who came out and made this weekend a great
                                  start to our Canadian season. We had a lot of changes this year (due
                                  to circumstances beyond our control), but everyone seemed to go with
                                  the flow and I was actually able to find some time to relax and enjoy
                                  the event! I would be remiss if I didn't say thanks especially to Sue
                                  for all her help organizing and placing the merchants. Also thanks to
                                  the command staff of both armies for allowing us to create our vision
                                  of the Battle of Longwoods on Sunday. Although we had a fabulous time,
                                  we're already taking suggestions for next year, so if you've got any
                                  comments or concerns (especially about the Sunday battle), please feel
                                  free to email me at privatecannon (at) hotmail.com.

                                  I would also like to thank everyone who participated in our drill
                                  competition again this year. We had more units compete and hopefully
                                  it will continue to grow. It was clear that all the groups had worked
                                  hard in the off-season and I believe the results were seen on the field
                                  as well as the parade ground. For those of you that missed it, you
                                  missed a fabulous presentation by the Glengarry Light Infantry, who
                                  were able to defend their trophy this year. Congratulations to them on
                                  a job very well done.

                                  Finally, to the organizing committee and everyone in the Lights, I
                                  would like to offer a huge thank you. You guys work tirelessly and the
                                  end result is you make me look good. I really appreciate it.

                                  I hope I haven't missed anyone, but again, thanks to everyone who was
                                  there to make this event great.

                                  Chris McKay
                                • Sioux
                                  Message 16 of 16 , May 1, 2011
                                    Thank you to everyone who came out to Longwoods this weekend and helped make it a great kick-off for our season. I was sorry to be there for as little of it as I was (two events the same weekend is not recommended, BTW, especially when they're two different time periods), but it was delightful to see so many people out and clearly enjoying themselves. Even though we have all come home with wet canvas, we did get one lovely day -- and at least it didn't snow, like the last time Longwoods fell on the April/May split weekend!

                                    Thanks to my fellow organizers, the Royal Scots Lights, for all of your hard work in putting the event together -- it certainly showed. Thanks to Gayle Allen of 4 and 20 Blackbirds, Sutler Cyrus, and Brad Stott of the Scots Lights for stepping in and managing my job when I couldn't be there. And my personal thanks (huge ones) to Corinne and Kirby Seabourne, who manned my tent and did just a fabulous job of keeping everything together when I was running back and forth between events.

                                    It was just great to see everyone, and I look forward to having a chance to visit at a little more leisurely pace at Stoney Creek one month from now.

                                    Woo hoo -- here we go for another re-enacting season! Ain't it grand?

                                    Cheers,
                                    -- Sioux