Re: [WarOf1812] Re: Dying as a career move

  • suthren@magma.ca
    Message 1 of 10 , May 1, 2006
      I am in awe, Bill.
      Vic
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Bill Sharrette" <bsharrette@...>
      To: <WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, May 01, 2006 4:56 PM
      Subject: Re: [WarOf1812] Re: Dying as a career move

      > Dying as a career move
      >
      > Down in Winston-Salem NC, employed as a movie extra for Ted Turner
      (along with 250 other reenactors) shooting Techumseh, my best role was with
      a dead horse. You see the horse carcass and my carcass were lying on the
      field at the Battle of the Thames, and I was laying right along side him in
      my coatee, my bloody shako, and my 1763 with its wiggly-wobbly rubber
      bayonet (safety you know). I was dead in my then current career move.

      > Any way of all my film roles, being dead is certainly the most
      memorable, and the easiest hands down to learn the lines for. But my head
      was a foot from the horse's rear end, and a good friend, (who later got
      stuck with a rubber bayonet for his actions), made a terrific flatulant
      sound as my memorable role hit the screen.

      > I have often thought back to this memorial event, this dying was quite a
      career move, each time I see that dead horse with my head resting deadly
      against its flanks, a small tear still runs down my face, now dying as a
      career move when your co-actor is a dead horse's hind quarters, thats
      acting!!!

      > Bill Sharrette
      >

      > Now
      > (I only had two roles, one a "grain of rice" extra in a
      >
      > suthren@... wrote:
      > Er...ah...isn't the idea not to die for your country, but to get some
      other
      > poor sod to die for your country? Callous, but a bit more profitable. I
      > think of Admirals who sent frigates off to bash at the French or Yanks or
      > whomever and, if the frigate captain survived, the Admiral collected a
      huge
      > portion of the prize money without lifting a finger. Now, there's living
      for
      > your country....
      >
      > Vic

      square miles...

      > ---------------------------------
      > Crown Forces Unit Listing:
      > http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
      >
      > American Forces Unit Listing
      > http://usforces1812.tripod.com

      > Living history United kingdom United state history War of
      1812

      > ---------------------------------

      square miles...

      > --

    • Ian Gardner
      Message 2 of 10 , May 1, 2006
        a small tear still runs down my face, now dying as a career move when
        your co-actor is a dead horse's hind quarters, thats acting!!!

        Bill Sharrette

        That's OK Bill. Speaking from personal experience, there's no end of
        horse's asses working in the film business. :)

        Ian
      • Dale Kidd
        Message 3 of 10 , May 2, 2006
          Just like a bleedin' Admiral... thinkin' of the ossifers. At least the
          bloody Captain had a say in whether to attack or not! That's a whole
          lot more than us poor bloody Tars can say! And seein' as we did most
          o' the dirty work and got the least o' the prize money, it don't seem
          exactly right. An' then, if we got drunk to celebrate actually livin'
          through our brave Cap'n's little adventure, we'd like as not find
          ourselves gettin' flogged next mornin'. Ah, the life of a sailor! :^D

          ~Dale

        • suthren@magma.ca
          Message 4 of 10 , May 2, 2006
            Right. Who said life was fair....
            Vic
            > Just like a bleedin' Admiral... thinkin' of the ossifers. At least the
            > bloody Captain had a say in whether to attack or not! That's a whole
            > lot more than us poor bloody Tars can say! And seein' as we did most
            > o' the dirty work and got the least o' the prize money, it don't seem
            > exactly right. An' then, if we got drunk to celebrate actually livin'
            > through our brave Cap'n's little adventure, we'd like as not find
            > ourselves gettin' flogged next mornin'. Ah, the life of a sailor! :^D
            >
            > ~Dale
            >
            > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, <suthren@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Er...ah...isn't the idea not to die for your country, but to get
            > some other
            > > poor sod to die for your country? Callous, but a bit more
            > profitable. I
            > > think of Admirals who sent frigates off to bash at the French or
            > Yanks or
            > > whomever and, if the frigate captain survived, the Admiral collected
            > a huge
            > > portion of the prize money without lifting a finger. Now, there's
            > living for
            > > your country....

            square miles...

          • suthren@magma.ca
            Message 5 of 10 , May 2, 2006
              Dale, there is a cartoon drawn during the Napoleonic wars of a naval officer
              approaching a seaman who is kneeling in prayer by a gun aboard a man o' war.
              The officer says something like: "Why, Jack! Has fear brought you to
              prayer?". The seaman replies something to the order of "No, Your Honour. My
              prayer was that the enemy's fire be distributed as the prize money is---the
              greater part amongst the officers".

              Vic
              > Just like a bleedin' Admiral... thinkin' of the ossifers. At least the
              > bloody Captain had a say in whether to attack or not! That's a whole
              > lot more than us poor bloody Tars can say! And seein' as we did most
              > o' the dirty work and got the least o' the prize money, it don't seem
              > exactly right. An' then, if we got drunk to celebrate actually livin'
              > through our brave Cap'n's little adventure, we'd like as not find
              > ourselves gettin' flogged next mornin'. Ah, the life of a sailor! :^D
              >
              > ~Dale
              >
              > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, <suthren@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Er...ah...isn't the idea not to die for your country, but to get
              > some other
              > > poor sod to die for your country? Callous, but a bit more
              > profitable. I
              > > think of Admirals who sent frigates off to bash at the French or
              > Yanks or
              > > whomever and, if the frigate captain survived, the Admiral collected
              > a huge
              > > portion of the prize money without lifting a finger. Now, there's
              > living for
              > > your country....

              square miles...

              > --

            • Len Heidebrecht
              Message 6 of 10 , May 3, 2006
                "Life is pain, princess. Anyone who says anything else is trying to
                sell you something"
                -The Dread Pirate Roberts

                Cheers,

                Len

              • HQ93rd@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , May 4, 2006
                  "Dying is easy. Comedy is hard." -- Sir Donald Wolfit

                  B (who comedically died for 25 years in gunfight shows)
                  93rd SHRoFLHU
                  THE Thin Red Line
                  www.93rdhighlanders.com