Re: [WarOf1812] Re: Dying as a career move

  • suthren@magma.ca
    Message 1 of 10 , May 1, 2006
      Er...ah...isn't the idea not to die for your country, but to get some other
      poor sod to die for your country? Callous, but a bit more profitable. I
      think of Admirals who sent frigates off to bash at the French or Yanks or
      whomever and, if the frigate captain survived, the Admiral collected a huge
      portion of the prize money without lifting a finger. Now, there's living for
      your country....

      Vic
      Message 2 of 10 , May 1, 2006
        Dying as a career move

        Down in Winston-Salem NC, employed as a movie extra for Ted Turner (along with 250 other reenactors) shooting Techumseh, my best role was with a dead horse. You see the horse carcass and my carcass were lying on the field at the Battle of the Thames, and I was laying right along side him in my coatee, my bloody shako, and my 1763 with its wiggly-wobbly rubber bayonet (safety you know). I was dead in my then current career move.

        Any way of all my film roles, being dead is certainly the most memorable, and the easiest hands down to learn the lines for. But my head was a foot from the horse's rear end, and a good friend, (who later got stuck with a rubber bayonet for his actions), made a terrific flatulant sound as my memorable role hit the screen.

        I have often thought back to this memorial event, this dying was quite a career move, each time I see that dead horse with my head resting deadly against its flanks, a small tear still runs down my face, now dying as a career move when your co-actor is a dead horse's hind quarters, thats acting!!!

        Bill Sharrette

        Now
        (I only had two roles, one a "grain of rice" extra in a

        suthren@... wrote:
        Er...ah...isn't the idea not to die for your country, but to get some other
        poor sod to die for your country? Callous, but a bit more profitable. I
        think of Admirals who sent frigates off to bash at the French or Yanks or
        whomever and, if the frigate captain survived, the Admiral collected a huge
        portion of the prize money without lifting a finger. Now, there's living for
        your country....

        Vic
        > Hey it worked for Isaac Brock! The guy wins a battle, loses a battle, and
        dies and they built a really big tower (2 actually) for him.
        > Sheaffe wins a battle, loses a battle and lives and look what happens to
        his career!

        > Kevin
        >

        > > From: BritcomHMP@...
        > > Actualy I think getting killed as you acheve your greatest triumph >is
        pretty much the way to secure everlasting glory!

        square miles...

        > --

        ---------------------------------
        Crown Forces Unit Listing:
        http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

        American Forces Unit Listing
        http://usforces1812.tripod.com

        Living history United kingdom United state history War of 1812

        ---------------------------------

        Message 3 of 10 , May 1, 2006
          I am in awe, Bill.
          Vic
          > Down in Winston-Salem NC, employed as a movie extra for Ted Turner
          (along with 250 other reenactors) shooting Techumseh, my best role was with
          a dead horse. You see the horse carcass and my carcass were lying on the
          field at the Battle of the Thames, and I was laying right along side him in
          my coatee, my bloody shako, and my 1763 with its wiggly-wobbly rubber
          bayonet (safety you know). I was dead in my then current career move.

          > Any way of all my film roles, being dead is certainly the most
          memorable, and the easiest hands down to learn the lines for. But my head
          was a foot from the horse's rear end, and a good friend, (who later got
          stuck with a rubber bayonet for his actions), made a terrific flatulant
          sound as my memorable role hit the screen.

          > I have often thought back to this memorial event, this dying was quite a
          career move, each time I see that dead horse with my head resting deadly
          against its flanks, a small tear still runs down my face, now dying as a
          career move when your co-actor is a dead horse's hind quarters, thats
          acting!!!

          > Bill Sharrette
          >

          > Now
          > (I only had two roles, one a "grain of rice" extra in a
          >
          > suthren@... wrote:
          > Er...ah...isn't the idea not to die for your country, but to get some
          other
          > poor sod to die for your country? Callous, but a bit more profitable. I
          > think of Admirals who sent frigates off to bash at the French or Yanks or
          > whomever and, if the frigate captain survived, the Admiral collected a
          huge
          > portion of the prize money without lifting a finger. Now, there's living
          for
          > your country....
          >
          > Vic

          square miles...

          > ---------------------------------
          > Crown Forces Unit Listing:
          > http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
          >
          > American Forces Unit Listing
          > http://usforces1812.tripod.com

          > Living history United kingdom United state history War of
          1812

          > ---------------------------------

          square miles...

          > --

        • Ian Gardner
          Message 4 of 10 , May 1, 2006
            a small tear still runs down my face, now dying as a career move when
            your co-actor is a dead horse's hind quarters, thats acting!!!

            Bill Sharrette

            That's OK Bill. Speaking from personal experience, there's no end of
            horse's asses working in the film business. :)

            Ian
          • Dale Kidd
            Message 5 of 10 , May 2, 2006
              Just like a bleedin' Admiral... thinkin' of the ossifers. At least the
              bloody Captain had a say in whether to attack or not! That's a whole
              lot more than us poor bloody Tars can say! And seein' as we did most
              o' the dirty work and got the least o' the prize money, it don't seem
              exactly right. An' then, if we got drunk to celebrate actually livin'
              through our brave Cap'n's little adventure, we'd like as not find
              ourselves gettin' flogged next mornin'. Ah, the life of a sailor! :^D

              ~Dale

            • suthren@magma.ca
              Message 6 of 10 , May 2, 2006
                Right. Who said life was fair....
                Vic
                > Just like a bleedin' Admiral... thinkin' of the ossifers. At least the
                > bloody Captain had a say in whether to attack or not! That's a whole
                > lot more than us poor bloody Tars can say! And seein' as we did most
                > o' the dirty work and got the least o' the prize money, it don't seem
                > exactly right. An' then, if we got drunk to celebrate actually livin'
                > through our brave Cap'n's little adventure, we'd like as not find
                > ourselves gettin' flogged next mornin'. Ah, the life of a sailor! :^D
                >
                > ~Dale
                >
                > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, <suthren@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Er...ah...isn't the idea not to die for your country, but to get
                > some other
                > > poor sod to die for your country? Callous, but a bit more
                > profitable. I
                > > think of Admirals who sent frigates off to bash at the French or
                > Yanks or
                > > whomever and, if the frigate captain survived, the Admiral collected
                > a huge
                > > portion of the prize money without lifting a finger. Now, there's
                > living for
                > > your country....

                square miles...

              • suthren@magma.ca
                Message 7 of 10 , May 2, 2006
                  Dale, there is a cartoon drawn during the Napoleonic wars of a naval officer
                  approaching a seaman who is kneeling in prayer by a gun aboard a man o' war.
                  The officer says something like: "Why, Jack! Has fear brought you to
                  prayer?". The seaman replies something to the order of "No, Your Honour. My
                  prayer was that the enemy's fire be distributed as the prize money is---the
                  greater part amongst the officers".

                  Vic
                  > Just like a bleedin' Admiral... thinkin' of the ossifers. At least the
                  > bloody Captain had a say in whether to attack or not! That's a whole
                  > lot more than us poor bloody Tars can say! And seein' as we did most
                  > o' the dirty work and got the least o' the prize money, it don't seem
                  > exactly right. An' then, if we got drunk to celebrate actually livin'
                  > through our brave Cap'n's little adventure, we'd like as not find
                  > ourselves gettin' flogged next mornin'. Ah, the life of a sailor! :^D
                  >
                  > ~Dale
                  >
                  > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, <suthren@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Er...ah...isn't the idea not to die for your country, but to get
                  > some other
                  > > poor sod to die for your country? Callous, but a bit more
                  > profitable. I
                  > > think of Admirals who sent frigates off to bash at the French or
                  > Yanks or
                  > > whomever and, if the frigate captain survived, the Admiral collected
                  > a huge
                  > > portion of the prize money without lifting a finger. Now, there's
                  > living for
                  > > your country....

                  square miles...

                  > --

                • Len Heidebrecht
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 3, 2006
                    "Life is pain, princess. Anyone who says anything else is trying to
                    sell you something"
                    -The Dread Pirate Roberts

                    Cheers,

                    Len

                  • HQ93rd@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 4, 2006
                      "Dying is easy. Comedy is hard." -- Sir Donald Wolfit

                      B (who comedically died for 25 years in gunfight shows)
                      93rd SHRoFLHU
                      THE Thin Red Line
                      www.93rdhighlanders.com